Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Apr 25, 2014 12:28 AM

News:

All the world's a dars.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dawah Event  (Read 3579 times)
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« on: Mar 25, 2009 02:53 PM »

As salaamu alaykum
Our masjid is having a gigantic dawah/ interfaith event.
I am in charge of the book table.

What Islamic books would you display and what are your favorite coffee table books?

Also they want to have a "for sale table"- which 10 books do you think Christians and Jews would want to buy about Islam?

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2009 03:43 PM »

What Islam Is All About
by Yahiya Emerick
http://www.amazon.com/What-Islam-About-Yahiya-Emerick/dp/1889720143

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2009 06:33 PM »

karen armstrong, esposito... yes they're orientalists but they are more sympathetic to islam than others. i'd also get rumi, iqbal...poetry... and some islamic art type books. coffee books are really expensive so not sure if you should get them if they won't sell? if u do have the budget maybe peter sanders.
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2009 08:15 PM »

Insha Allah I will have two tables. one for selling and the other table for browsing and coffee table books.
Apparently Barnes and nobles will let you purchase and return what doesn't sell.

For display: What is the best Rumi book? Best Iqbal book? What beautiful coffee books have you come across?

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2009 10:07 PM »

My Islamic book vendor just came back with the following three titles:

'Complete Idiot's Guide to Islam' by Yahya Emerick*
'Being Muslim' by Haroon Siddiqi
'In the footsteps of the Prophet' by Tariq Ramadan

*The Idiot's Guide was based on "What Islam Is All About"

I personally like Karen Armstrong and John Esposito (I have most of their collections), just keep in mind if the target audience would appreciate their work.

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2009 07:50 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

What beautiful coffee books have you come across?

I picked this one up last year and thought it was pretty good.

Very colourful and rich in its hardback covering.

http://islamicbookstore.com/b10102.html

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2009 09:36 AM »

There's some kind of Illustrated Guide to Rumi which might be picture bookish for people. There's a Makkah/Madinah book by Peter Sanders as well as a In the Shade of the Tree which is nice. Iqbal the best one is called Tulips in the Desert or something like that but very difficult to get ahold of. If you get Aramco World those are nice to display as well since they have tons of nice photographs.
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2009 02:32 PM »

asak
Great suggestions
Just got in Illustrated Rumi- beautiful book.
Very happy with The Islam Guide also- the pictures are attractive.
UBAB- Have all the books you suggested- I agree with your choices.

Let's see what the mailman brings today!

Thanks for being specific on titles.
Any more ideas? Come on now... I know you have more!

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2009 04:38 PM »

asak
Great suggestions
Just got in Illustrated Rumi- beautiful book.
Very happy with The Islam Guide also- the pictures are attractive.
UBAB- Have all the books you suggested- I agree with your choices.

Let's see what the mailman brings today!

Thanks for being specific on titles.
Any more ideas? Come on now... I know you have more!

It's hard to find good books for dawah purposes, maybe some of the following...

What Everyone Should Know About Islam and Muslims (Paperback)
by Suzanne Haneef (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Everyone-Should-About-Islam-Muslims/dp/0935782001
Written by an American Muslim, this work presents a brief yet comprehensive survey of the basic teachings on the significance of Islam's central concept, faith in and submission to God. It introduces the reader to how Muslims feel about various aspects of life, how they worship, and how Muslims living in the West practice their religion

Etiquette with the Quran
by Imam al-Nawawi
http://islamicbookstore.com/b7652.html
An enduring classic work (composed by the illustrious Imam al-Nawawi) on the etiquette that a Muslim should have with regard to handling, teaching, studying, respecting, and reciting the Quran. The topics this volume raises include: ritual cleanliness, opportune times for recitation, the etiquette that students have with their teachers (and that teachers must have with their students), and a variety of other issues that every Muslim should know and often ask about.

Bright to Light Bridge to Light (Thanks Sr. Kathy!)
Kathleen St. Onge
ISBN: 9781597840743
http://www.bridgetolightbook.com/
Bridge to Light is a unique contemporary contribution to the literature about Islam and an important new voice in interfaith dialogue. In this unusual approach, a Canadian convert to Islam recounts her reflections through a journey of understanding. Originally written as a series of articles, this teacher and writer navigates readers through everything from the basic tenets of the Islamic faith, to the Islamic way of life, Muslim beliefs about heaven, hell, and Judgement Day, the ego trap, ‘jihad,’ evolution, and the oneness of God.

Delivered in a distinctly western style, the book presents ideas which are surprisingly accessible and it assumes no prior knowledge of Arabic or Islam. It should appeal to Muslims of all ages—especially youth—who want to discover or develop their faith. The book should also prove helpful to Muslims wishing to explain their religion to non-Muslim friends, co-workers and neighbours. Beyond this, it is recommended reading for spiritual “seekers” who may be wondering what it is, exactly, that Islam has to offer. At this time in history where the need for interfaith tolerance has never been greater, Bridge to Light really does provide a bridge of understanding.

Islam Our Choice: Portraits of Modern American Muslim Women
by Debra L. Dirks

Even Angels Ask: A Journey to Islam in America
by Jeffrey Lang

Struggling to Surrender
by Jeffrey Lang

Believing as Ourselves
by L. Lynn Jones & Jeffrey Lang

Women Embracing Islam: Gender and Conversion in the West
by Karin van Nieuwkerk (Editor)

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2009 04:40 PM »

1001 Inventions : Muslim Heritage in Our World

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2009 04:12 PM »

I have this book, I can send it to your mosque if neccessary - prices of this book various from $8 - 50, it say's 19.99 on my copy. It's a heavy read - so may or may not work with a dawah table

thobebro
   UBAB

The Spread of Islam in the World: A History of Peaceful Preaching  by Prof Thomas Arnold.
First Printed 1896, Reprinted 2001

This book was written by Sir Thomas Arnold who lived and worked as a professor of philosophy in Lahore, India (now Pakistan). He was widely traveled in the Muslim world. This book, now roughly 100 years old, is still relevant today, perhaps moreso now than ever.

He states his case that Islam was not spread by the sword, as is so stereotypically thought by many, but through preaching and daily commerce. While there has been military conquest by Islamic nations, the actual conversions to the Islamic faith were not done by the sword. This is a tough concept to grasp. Considering that Islam is considered an entire way of life, the military conquests are not outside of the realm of Islam.

The division between religion and politics leads to the schizophrenia we see today in many a Western nation's bumbling other countries, most recently America in Iraq. For the sake of analogy let us ask that if the citizens of Iraq were, for example, to convert to Christianity could we say that they were converted by the sword? Or did the conversions come once the military maneuvering was done? If a host of missionaries ride in on the coattails of the military, would history lead us to believe that conversions were done by the sword?

This analogy obviously falls apart because Christianity is not a faith that embraces politics under its name and America is not based upon a religious ideology but the question is worth considering. Did those who converted to Islam do so for fear of the sword? Or did victory come militarily/politically first (and wherever there are men there are politics) and then the faith spread?

Arnold makes his case that it was not the sword that led to the majority of conversions to Islam. It was the strength of the faith of the ordinary individuals who lived it. The book is not light reading and is very dense but it is interesting and it is definitely worth reading to get some balance on how the spread of Islam is viewed. He is not naively glowing in his approach but is very balanced in his report. Vital for those who really want to understand truth on their own terms.

Update: This book has been repackaged and is interestingly retitled 'The Spread of Islam in the World - A History of Peaceful Preaching'

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: