// Happy British Muslims!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity - Ibn al-Qayyim
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy British Muslims!  (Read 219 times)
Nature (+ 1 Hidden) and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Apr 16, 2014 04:35 PM »

Salam,

Apparently this is sweeping the internets  Smiley

http://youtu.be/gVDIXqILqSM
pearl
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
pearl has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2014 02:14 AM »

Watched this at work during my coffee break. I literally Cheesy at parts of it.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2014 06:56 PM »

Lots of ppl commenting on it. Abu Eesa and Yasir Qadhi both wrote long things about it. Most average Muslims defending it. I'm sure Muslims in the UK are probably having a seizure over it lol.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2014 07:26 PM »

It's a fun video, everyone's liking it on my fb (haven't posted it myself), I can also see the  point made by Imam Abu Eesa, mufti Menk et al.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2014 08:48 PM »

The main fuss is about the instrumentals and 'dancing' - if someone made an acapella version with fewer sisters bouncing I think that absolutely everyone would have loved it. I personally loved, loved, loved the diversity of the video, it's so inclusive, and so much fun. Smiley
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2014 06:26 AM »

Salam,

I watched someone's "halal" version of the video where they took out all the women scenes. It was incredibly boring and lost all meaning. Also, if you took out the music, just no point really.

But the reaction to this video is very interesting... Here are a few snippets...

Abu Eesa
My thoughts on #HappyMuslims video-gate:

- The background track behind all the folks dancing has got to be one of the most addictive things I’ve ever heard! I hear that Iblīs himself might have got personally involved with that one.

- My first reaction when I saw sisters dancing like that was just how much these ladies love to talk about objectification and being stereotyped and feminism and all that bakwas, but they play a different game in real life. #FireAbuEesa

- The image which came to mind after a few moments was of slave masters watching their slave girls/boys amuse, dance and entertain them as they twirl their moustaches happily. Yes this is a metaphor and our brothers and sisters are not slave girls, but what is worse is when a Muslim makes that conscious decision that what they have from their Deen and their values just isn’t “good enough” and thus “let’s use the medium of popular culture instead regardless of whether it fits an Islamic ethos or not”. This is of course the real slavery. The slavery of the mind. The music etc wasn’t so depressing for me; it was watching a people fall even more into subservience.

- Any women who claim that females dancing is not provocative or sexual, is either naïve or just plain miskeen. And any man whom claims the same, is, well, lying. Ladies, you could dance like Peter Crouch and men would find that sexual! Men don’t think like you. You lift an elbow out and just wiggle your head forget about anything else and you just provocation-ed off the provocation-meter. You want to do that, keep it for your fella’s eyes only please.

- It’s amazing just how strong that feeling of inferiority amongst liberal and secular Muslims is. That is definitely the major concern here, not the music or dancing. Folks used to call it a inferiority complex. That’s outdated now. We need to call it an “inferiority crisis”.

- We’ve basically lost all meaning for what the word hijab means. I can’t even be bothered to explain this issue again, the fact that hijab is a state, not just a piece of cloth on the head. Anyway, whatever. This isn’t about the women anyway, this is about the mindset of *all* who support such things.

- I love seeing happy people. I loved their smiles in this video. I just wish I could see them so happy without the music and dancing. Surely we can do that? Although in fairness, perhaps some folks can’t? Genuine question.

- The Yanks are looking at this video and thinking, “Erm, so what’s exactly the issue here folks? Who did what wrong?!”

- To those who are disappointed with all this, don’t even try for a second to criticise music and dancing. Once you’ve gone down that route, it’s more than just a poisoned chalice. It’s professional suicide. Everyone is so happy inside, and suddenly you’re telling them they shouldn’t be? You will NEVER win this argument, and frankly it's no biggie anyway. Emotional ignorance of the rules of Allah is the most difficult to discuss, so don’t waste your time on it.

- For those who say that scholars says music etc is good and allowed: firstly forget all the so called scholars and Shaykhs and Imams in the West who are not much more than transmitters of fatwas and opinions. No disrespect to us all but let us all recognise our reality. If we were to see the actual real scholarly voices that permit the use of music, and you would be able to count them on one hand frankly and that doesn’t diminish our respect for them by the way, then I say this: from this group would be Shaykh Abdullah Judai’ and Sh Yusuf al-Qardhawi. I would love to see their reaction to seeing what happens in this video and then ask them, “Shaykh, we make stuff like this because we follow your fatwa that music is allowed.” I think you’d better prepare to get slapped lol.

- I love creativity. I think Muslims have so much to offer. I just hope and pray it can be done without the need to have to use what everyone else values, as opposed to what WE value. Or at least SHOULD value I guess I should say.

- Remember that above all, the resulting video is one which involved *personal* sin and it was concerning *fiqh* as opposed to anything else more serious. This is most definitely not belittling sin by this statement, but just reminding us all that we do have much bigger problems amongst Muslims to focus on such as what we actual believe in, and whether we consider Allah’s requirements to be divine enough so as to be protected from our desires and flawed intellects. There is a chasm between saying (a) Allah couldn’t have said this or made that halal or haram, and saying (b) I know Allah said that but I’m struggling with it.

Struggling is good, keep up that struggle. Denying is bad, drop that bakwas otherwise you’ll be dropped in the next life. No, you won't be dropping it like it's hot. You'll be *dropped* somewhere hot.

May Allah protect us all and forgive us and guide us all, my sinful self before anyone else. Ameen.

- Whatever is sinful or potentially sinful or at least doubtful, should be kept to yourself. Sing with your hairdryer in the mirror. Dance your socks off in the privacy of your bedroom. Chill at home as undressed as you want. Allah is covering you right at that monent.

But once you bring it out like this, go public, and be happy about it, then Allah has uncovered you. And thus you have lost protection. And once you lose HIS protection, then, well, Allahul-Musta‘an.

- Many folks will see this comment as really negative. I apologise for that, genuinely. I actually really sympathise with those who feel so happy with song and dance. It’s a natural human reaction. But then trying to bed the hottest girl ever next door is also a natural human reaction. Control, willpower and taqwa are what should control human reactions. I will post something on this specific music challenge a little later because I’ve been there, done that.

- Personally, for me, the biggest outrage in this entire episode is the name of these people. Honest Policy 786?! 786!? Are you kidding me?! If you guys really are going to go all out sick on the positive Muslim PR front, can we please please drop the 786 part at least? Jazakumullahu khayr.

Yasir Qadhi
Sometimes I feel so disconnected from things going on in alternative universes to the one that I inhabit ... that I thank Allah for all that He has blessed me with.

Happiness is a blessing Allah gives the soul when the body, and soul, conform to the Shariah. And it is true that a Muslim's soul, at times, feels like it's dancing for joy (especially when it's in prostration: "O Bilal! Hasten us to its joy!"). But alas, dancing with the body does not in itself bring happiness to the Muslim's soul. Especially when that dancing is accompanied by other matters.

Its been a while since I referenced this hadith, but truly, we live in a time when holding on to one's religion is considered strange and bizarre even by other Muslims (lay-Muslims and scholars alike). May Allah make me amongst those who are given glad tidings!

#IDidntKnowWhoPharrellWilliamsWasUntilNow!
#ButImStillHappy!!!

Suhaib Webb
Happy Brits!?
Over the last few days, I've been asked to share my thoughts on a video showing a bunch of happy people being happy. But, because of a number of things, I have not had the time to (maybe that's a good thing) get into this issue. However, when I was told that Dr. Timothy Winter a highly respected scholar of Islam and academic, as well as, Mohammed Ansar were involved, I knew it was a noble effort with noble intentions. It is enough for me that Dr. Winter is on board. Sad to know that some are so upset that others are happy. I can't comment on people being happy (never thought it was much of an issue), but defer to those gentlemen (please ask them questions).

Abdul Hakim Murad
"The responses have been interesting. But let us begin by recalling an important point. The scholars today are not reaching teenagers at all, and they hardly even know it. At Friday prayers today, during school holidays, I saw children and adults; but not one teenager. There are no bridgebuilders to take them by the hand! If you know them you will know that they still want to be Muslim, and that they love Islam, but do not want to listen to what they call ‘boring lectures’. They usually don’t object to the content of those lectures, but they cannot listen to them. They are in a different world – of quick social media, apps, and YouTube. Now either we can cut them off entirely, and let them work things out from their own resources – and this is happening with tens of millions of young Muslims across the planet, even in Makka and Madina – or we can find some way of standing among them and hearing them. They know perfectly well that we don’t acquiesce in all the forms of their culture, but they should know that we have more to offer them than an endless scowl. So of course I did not dance along with them; but to be present, to be a witness, affirming their love of life and of Islam, without in any way approving in any absolute way of anything at all – and they know this! – is the way of those who love humanity and love the young. I revere the memory of those of my teachers who insisted on being with and for young people: who went to cafes and music-halls in Cairo and Mombasa, not to dance, but just to be there with them, to smile, to listen to them with love and to remind them through their own state that the best joy is only an invitation to the Afterlife.

I did not make this video, nor did I follow its development or see its final shape; but I see it not as a preachy film but as a kind of informal guerrilla documentary capturing a moment in the development of the Muslim community here as it actually is. Questions of divine law, which, believe it or not, do matter to the neglected and abandoned young, are non-negotiable of course. In this case, observing the people known to me, I see only married couples together, or siblings or families. I can’t see any exceptions. May Allah preserve us from ugly suspicion! Regarding the music, I personally do not use instrumental music; but I would like to see a fully-reasoned fatwa about musical sounds produced digitally by synthesisers: do they count as the ma’azif which are surely forbidden in the sound hadiths? If so, are doorbells, or harmonised ringtones, ma’azif? What about a voice which is trained to sound exactly like a trombone? Personally I don’t know. Once we have some sort of consensus on synthesisers then the ijtihad discussion about this clip can begin. It will be interesting.

May Allah grant us all basira to serve His din and remember Him in all times and places. Amin!"
pearl
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2014 03:52 PM »

This part of Suhaib Webb's comment was the best:

... Sad to know that some are so upset that others are happy. I can't comment on people being happy (never thought it was much of an issue)...

And it shouldn't be.
Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2014 01:18 AM »

Salaams here's a version without the ladies dancing and without the music
www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0c9DWVuOHI
Baji
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2014 05:42 AM »

I have to say - my very favorite is the very British lady on the bicycle!  hijabisis
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2014 04:48 PM »

Apparently the video has reached 1 million views!!! And of course there are a number of condemnation videos quick to follow all about "keeping the Muslim identity"!! One of the things I noticed in the UK is that they really want to keep their outer Muslim identity, like clothing wise, language, marriage, etc. But in the USA Muslims want to accept things from Western culture and make them Islamicized. Like make new modest fashion clothes in the Western style instead of Jilbabs etc.
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2014 07:14 PM »

You can't Islamicize music!

With regards clothing it is the fashion in England for women to wear abayas when out and about, it does not mean we don't wear western clothing. Not everyone chooses to wear abayas either, or we have the sisters who somtimes do and sometimes don't.

Have never been to america so couldn't compare, presumably abayas aren't on trend over there.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 04:47 PM »

In trying to keep our Muslim identity, people choose different ways on how to go about it. Whether it's right or wrong is a whole other issue! There's been a ton of responses, blogs and even khutbas on the rightness or wrongness of this video. It's been interesting to see that the ppl behind it wish to remain anonymous, no surprise perhaps!

Umar Farooq Abdullah wrote a seminal piece on this fundamental issue of culture years ago. And again it's become such a huge issue in our ummah. I'll try to find it again and link it.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 04:52 PM »

Found it! It's a thought provoking paper.  http://www.crosscurrents.org/abdallahfall2006.pdf

Excerpt below....

===========
ISLAM AND THE CULTURAL IMPERATIVE

by Umar Faruq Abd-Allah

For centuries, Islamic civilization harmonized indigenous forms of cultural expression with the universal norms of its sacred law. It struck a balance between temporal beauty and ageless truth and fanned a brilliant peacock's tail of unity in diversity from the heart of China to the shores of the Atlantic. Islamic jurisprudence helped facilitate this creative genius. In history, Islam showed itself to be culturally friendly and, in that regard, has been likened to a crystal clear river. Its waters (Islam) are pure, sweet, and life-giving but—having no color of their own—reflect the bedrock (indigenous culture) over which they flow. In China, Islam looked Chinese; in Mali, it looked African. Sustained cultural relevance to distinct peoples, diverse places, and different times underlay Islam's long success as a global civilization. The religion became not only functional and familiar at the local level but dynamically engaging, fostering stable indigenous Muslim identities and allowing Muslims to put down deep roots and make lasting contributions wherever they went.

By contrast, much contemporary Islamist1 rhetoric falls far short of Islam's ancient cultural wisdom, assuming at times an unmitigated culturally predatory attitude. Such rhetoric and the movement ideologies that stand behind it have been deeply influenced by Western revolutionary dialectic and a dangerously selective retrieval and reinterpretation of Islamic scripture in that light. At the same time, however, the Islamist phenomenon is, to no small degree, a byproduct of the grave cultural dislocation and dysfunction of the contemporary Muslim world. Culture—Islamic or otherwise—provides the basis of social stability but, paradoxically, can itself only flourish in stable societies and will inevitably break down in the confusion of social disruption and turmoil. Today, the Muslim world retains priceless relics of its former cultural splendor, but, in the confusion of our times, the wisdom of the past is not always understood and many of its established norms and older cultural patterns no longer appear relevant to Muslims or seem to offer solutions. Where the peacock's tail has not long since folded, it retains little of its former dazzle and fullness; where the cultural river has not dried up altogether, its waters seldom run clear.

Human beings generate culture naturally like spiders spin silk, but unlike spiders' webs the cultures people construct are not always adequate, especially when generated unconsciously, in confusion, under unfavorable conditions, or without proper direction. Unsurprisingly, Muslim immigrants to America remain attached to the lands they left behind but hardly if ever bring with them the full pattern of the once healthy cultures of their past, which—if they had remained intact—would have reduced their incentive to emigrate in the first place. Converts—overwhelmingly African-American—are often alienated from their own deep indigenous roots and native cultural sensibility through the destructive impact of culturally predatory Islamist ideologies from abroad. All the same, Muslims in America have been silently forging sub-cultural identities over recent decades around our mosques, in Islamic schools, at home, and on college campuses.2 Some of these developments are promising. The upcoming generation has produced a number of notable Muslim American writers, poets, rap artists, and stand-up comedians. We experiment with dress (special dresses from denim, for example) and coin words (like fun-damentalist) as parts of our daily speech. Cross-cultural and interracial marriages have increased and show that many Muslim Americans now find themselves more Muslim and American than Indian, Pakistani, Syrian, Egyptian, or anything else. In other ways too, the young generation shows signs of cultural maturity and is connecting on positive levels often unthinkable to their parents. Many of them are comfortable with their American identity, while cultivating a healthy understanding of their religion, pride in their past, connection to the present, and a positive view of the future. But, despite positive signs, much of the cultural creation taking place over recent years around the mosque, school, home, and campus has been without direction, confused, unconscious, or, worse yet, subconsciously compelled by irrational fears rooted in ignorance of the dominant culture and a shallow, parochial understanding of Islam as a counter-cultural identity religion.3 The results—especially if mixed with culturally predatory Islamist ideology—may look more like a cultural no-man's-land than the makings of a successful indigenous Muslim identity. Development of a sound Muslim American cultural identity must be resolutely undertaken as a conscious pursuit and one of our community's vital priorities. It is not a problem that will sort out itself with time and cannot be left to develop on its own by default. Islam does not merely encourage but requires the creation of a successful indigenous Islamic culture in America and sets down sound parameters for its formation and growth. As we take on this commitment, we must understand that our revealed law and long history as a world civilization do not constitute barriers in the process but offer tremendous resources and latitude.

What Is Culture?

It is commonplace to identify "culture" with refined taste or "high culture" like the fine arts and humanities. In this vein, Matthew Arnold spoke of culture as "the best that has been known and said in the world" and "the history of the human spirit." However, culture as a modern anthropological concept and as treated in this paper refers to the entire integrated pattern of human behavior and is immeasurably broader than its highest expressions.4 Beyond what is purely instinctive and unlearned, culture governs everything about us and even molds our instinctive actions and natural inclinations. It is culture that makes us truly human, separating people from animals, which frequently exhibit learned behavior but lack our capacity for the creation and adaptation of new cultural forms. Humankind has been defined as "the speaking animal," "the political animal," "the religious animal," and so forth. But speech, politics, religion, and all essentially human traits are fundamental components of culture, and, whatever else we may be, humankind is, first and foremost, "the cultural animal."

Culture weaves together the fabric of everything we value and need to know—beliefs, morality, expectations, skills, and knowledge—giving them functional expression by integrating them into effectual customary patterns. Culture is rooted in the world of expression, language, and symbol. But it relates also to the most routine facets of our activities—like dress and cooking—and extends far beyond the mundane into religion, spirituality, and the deepest dimensions of our psyches. Culture includes societal fundamentals like the production of food and distribution of goods and services, the manner in which we manage business, banking, and commerce; the cultivation of science and technology; and all branches of learning, knowledge, and thought. Family life and customs surrounding birth, marriage, and death immediately come to mind as obvious cultural elements, but so too are gender relations, social habits, skills for coping with life's circumstances, toleration and cooperation or the lack of them, and even societal superstructures like political organization. A working democracy, for example, is as much the fruit of particular cultural values and civic habits as it is the outgrowth of constitutions or administrative bodies. In our mosques, schools, and homes, many day-to-day aggravations are patent examples of cultural discord and confusion. Often, they have little to do with Islam per se but everything to do with the clash of old world attitudes and expectations—often authoritarian and patriarchal—with the very different human complexities, realities, and needs of our society.

A key measure for evaluating culture is its capacity to impart a unified sense of self and community and consistent, well-integrated patterns of behavior. A culture is "successful" when it imparts an operative identity, produces social cohesion, and gives its members knowledge and social skills that empower them to meet their individual and social requirements effectively.5 Identity and social cohesion are fundamental outgrowths of culture. Community and self-determination also hang in the balance of achieving a "successful" culture. In the absence of an integrated and dynamic Muslim American culture, to speak of ourselves as constituting a true community—despite our immense individual talent and large and growing numbers—or being able someday to play an effective role in civic life or politics is little more than rhetoric or wishful thinking.

By setting the boundaries of the self and imparting a strong, unified sense of identity, a sound Muslim American culture would allow for dynamic engagement with ourselves and the world around us. It would also cultivate the ability to cope with complex social realities and negotiate productively the various roles which life in modern society require us to play, while maintaining a unified, dignified, and self-assured sense of who we are and a consistent commitment to the values for which we stand. People can repent from broken rules but not from broken psyches. The creation of a healthy Muslim American psyche is contingent on the creation of a successful, well-integrated indigenous culture. A well-integrated psyche and unified sense of identity make authentic Islamic religiosity, true spirituality, and moral perfection a normative possibility within the American context.

Respecting Other Cultures: A Supreme Prophetic Sunna

The Prophet Muhammad and his Companions were not at war with the world's cultures and ethnicities but entertained an honest, accommodating, and generally positive view of the broad social endowments of other peoples and places. The Prophet and his Companions did not look upon human culture in terms of black and white, nor did they drastically divide human societies into spheres of absolute good and absolute evil. Islam did not impose itself—neither among Arabs or non-Arabs—as an alien, culturally predatory worldview. Rather, the Prophetic message was, from the outset, based on the distinction between what was good, beneficial, and authentically human in other cultures, while seeking to alter only what was clearly detrimental. Prophetic law did not burn and obliterate what was distinctive about other peoples but sought instead to prune, nurture, and nourish, creating a positive Islamic synthesis.

To continue reading the full text of this article in the pdf format
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 04:54 PM »

There's a happy Chicago Muslims one too now have you seen it?

pearl
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Today at 02:28 AM »

Happy Chicago Muslims

Pharrell - Happy Chicago Muslims! #HAPPYDAY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: