// Muslims and Identity and Differing Opinions
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Everything I do is for the pleasure of Allah. --Cat Stevens
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Muslims and Identity and Differing Opinions  (Read 2975 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Dec 24, 2007 12:29 PM »

I thought their reasoning was pretty dumb but the study seems somewhat interesting. Suddenly all of these studies are being conducted over how "religious" or "nationalistic" Muslims are. The underlying theme they seem to want to propogate is the more nationalistic/less religiously identifying a Muslim is, the less "terrorist" attacks there will be in that country!!!? Strange eh...

Muslims and identity
Differing opinions

From Economist.com

OF FIVE Western countries polled by the Pew Research Centre, Muslims in Britain were the most likely to identify themselves by religion rather than nationality. A massive 81% considered themselves Muslim first. This was higher than in Spain or America, two other countries in which terrorist attacks by Islamic extremists have been carried out. Indeed, in America, only 47% of Muslims thought of themselves in this way, marginally more than in France. Perhaps a shared background of revolution, a written constitution and promotion of national values explains the similarities between responses in France and America: 62% of Muslims in both countries thought life was better for women there than in Muslim countries. By contrast, a mere 46% of Spanish Muslims agreed.
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2007 03:48 PM »

I thought their reasoning was pretty dumb but the study seems somewhat interesting. Suddenly all of these studies are being conducted over how "religious" or "nationalistic" Muslims are. The underlying theme they seem to want to propogate is the more nationalistic/less religiously identifying a Muslim is, the less "terrorist" attacks there will be in that country!!!? Strange eh...

I agree, and also think it goes further; it is an attempt to secularize Islam so that it in essence will resemble what Christianity has become and to a degree Judaism as well.  In this way one would be Muslim in name only and perhaps become the once a week or occassional Muslim, again similar to what is already seen elsewhere.  I recall reading that officially in the US there is the determination to support and promote Progressive Islam as the acceptable version since there is more of a tendency within that movement to make permissible what is not, alter the teachings to keep in line with current trends and be more secular than religious.

This desire to find the "profile" and strive to eliminate it was also demonstrated I believe in the report issued by the NYPD.

In general there is always the need to find the "profile"; take for example the issue of school shootings.  After Columbine it was believed that the loner type who didn't seem upbeat and didn't take an interest in most things was the "most likely".  Yet that was proven wrong with a subsequent act committed by a very popular, upbeat student.  So I guess the "profile" is someone that doesn't have a lot of friends or involvement in activities or one that has too many friends and too much involvement in activities.

Fa'izah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: