Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Hygiene: The Prophet said: 'Purity and cleanliness is part of faith.' (Sahîh Muslim)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monitoring Facebook, MySpace  (Read 1237 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Mar 26, 2009 08:17 PM »

London Monitors Facebook, MySpace

By  IslamOnline.net & Newspapers
Facebook and other social networking websites would be forced to pass on details of their users' contacts to London. (Reuters)

Facebook and other social networking websites would be forced to pass on details of their users' contacts to London. (Reuters)
CAIRO — After phone calls, mails and DNA database, the British government plans to snoop on Facebook, MySpace and other social networking websites used by millions of Britons, drawing rebuke from politicians and civil liberty advocates, The Telegraph reported on Wednesday, March 25.

"[The plan] may include requiring the retention of data on Facebook, Bebo, MySpace and all other similar sites," Vernon Coaker, the Home Office Minster, told the House of Commons.

Under the plan, social networking websites would be forced to pass on details of everyone users make contact with on their sites.

Coaker said the EU Data Retention Directive, under which information on phone calls, emails and websites visited in Britain are monitored, added to a database and retained for at least 12 months, was not enough.

"Social networking sites, such as MySpace or Bebo, are not covered by the directive.

"That is one reason why the Government is looking at what we should do… because there are certain aspects of communications which are not covered by the directive."

Almost half the Britain's 25 million people are thought to be using social networking sites.

Facebook, the world's largest social networking website, boasts 17 million British members.

Bebo, which caters mainly for teenagers and young adults, has more than 10 million British users.

A similar number of British music fans are thought to be using MySpace.

Terrifying

"Social networking sites…contain very sensitive data like sexual orientation, religious beliefs and political views," fumes Brake.
Coaker insisted the controversial plan would be a useful tool in tackling terrorism and crime.

"The government has no interest in the content of people's social network sites and this is not going to be part of our upcoming consultation," said a Home Office spokesman.

But politicians and civil rights campaigners blasted the plan as another step for a country edging closer than ever to a surveillance society.

"Plans to monitor our phone and email records threaten to be the most expensive snooper's charter in history," Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Tom Brake told the Independent.

"It is deeply worrying that they now intend to monitor social networking sites which contain very sensitive data like sexual orientation, religious beliefs and political views."

Britain is fast becoming a "Big Brother" society, where the lives of millions are monitored and tracked from cradle to grave.

There are nearly 4.2 million CCTV cameras spreading nationwide with each Briton being captured about 300 times a day on camera.

Genetic details of more than four million people are on the DNA national database, the highest proportion of any Western country.

Britain will also apply biometric identity cards by the end of 2009, becoming the world's largest identity register.

"Even before you throw Facebook and other social networking sites into the mix, the proposed central communications database is a terrifying prospect," insists Isabella Sankey, policy director at civil rights watchdog Liberty.

"It would allow the government to record every email, text message and phone call and would turn millions of innocent Britons into permanent suspects."
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2009 08:58 PM »

Scary! Should we de-register?

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2009 03:19 AM »

Like everything on the web, know that all those sites are pretty much public to everyone. Including certain organizations. So be careful not to post anything too personal, controversial or that has identifying information.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: