// How do I explain this to a non Muslim
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is just putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I explain this to a non Muslim  (Read 2643 times)
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« on: Apr 07, 2009 09:53 PM »

Assalaam Allaikum brothers and sisters. I hope you can help me.
I was talking to a man in a shop today and he was under the impression Muslims don't
pray for things that all is left to Allah's will.
I tried to explain dua's and istikhara
I explain Muslims do pray for Allah's guidance on things, marriage, moves, changes in jobs, etc.
He was under the impression we don't play an active roll in praying for 'things' and ''situations'
Can you post information on supplications, dua's, istikhara and this matter.
If you don't mind I'll print out responses and take them to him to read.
He has this web site info but one never knows if one will drop in.
It's funny how people hear things and believe different things. I always try to explain
just in all walks of life, things get mixed up and not everything one hears is fact.
He said he heard this by a Muslim or someone who knew a Muslim that you don't pray
for things, all is just Allah's will.
I also explained about our US media and how we don't hear certain 'things' here in the US.
If anyone would like to comment on the US media maybe this man would enjoy or benefit from
hearing others opinions and experiences on the media.
Thank you for your help.
azizah

I have found these sites and will refer him to them also, but would appreciate responses here.
How to I explain what dua and Inshakra is?

http://www.duas.org/

http://islam.about.com/od/prayer/a/istikhara.htm
timbuktu
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2009 12:20 AM »

peace be upon you

This is a more authentic site:

http://www.makedua.com

We make duas for every step in our lives:

We are supposed to be always aware of:
   Allah, that He is watching, caring,
   Satan, who is always trying to misguide us,
   ourselves, how weak we are, and our other shortcomings

We make dua for:
   protection from Satan and our weaknesses
   if we wake up for any reason in our sleep
   for waking up in the morning before the morning prayer
   When we enter the bathroom
   When we start making wuddu or ghusl
   When we finish it
   When we leave the bathroom

We offer Salah five times a day. There are at least 32 rakaats in the five Salats. In every rakaat we say Surah Fateha, which is a dua for guidance and keeping us on the right path

These rakaats are arranged into groups of two, three, four. At the end of each we offer at least one, and often as many duas we can,

After every fard prayer (that is five times a day), we offer dua, for the Prophet (saw) has said that Salah is incomplete without dua,

When we eat or drink something

When we see ourselves in the mirror

When we wear any new clothes

When we see, hear or feel something pleasant

When we see, hear or feel something unpleasant

When we leave the house

When we enter the market, or bank, or office, or workshop

When we greet someone (assalamu alaykum: this is a dua: peace be upon you)

When we return a greeting

On special occasions: like when a child is born, someone is unwell or dies,

When we attend a party or a meeting

at the close of a meeting

When we come back to the house

Before intimacy with our spouse

When we retire for sleep

etc.
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2009 05:14 AM »

Assalaan Allaikum brothers and sisters. I hope you can help me.
I was talking to a man in a shop today and he was under the impression Muslims don't
pray for things that all is left to Allah's will.

historically, muslims have prayed for everything, and so often, that you would think they pray all day long.  the companions used to even pray if their sandles broke, when they went out, when they even entered the toilet, when they wanted anything....

the prayers don't have to be formulaic, they can be like "dear God, please save my butt.  i don't want to fail this exam."  there is a book by muhammad ghazali (the 20th century egyptian) called "Remembrance and Prayer" which fantastically brings this out.

the only thing i would think muslims might not pray for is -- for their favorite football team to beat somebody else's favorite football team.  but then again, i in the recent past have been praying for Arsenal!!! (Arsenal are a british soccer club). so anything is possible.  and that's not even the weirrdest thing i do, i even pray everyday that God gives me superpowers to help sort out the world's problems!!  (not that i think i am cool enough to know how to sort the problems out, but, hey...at least you can pray....)

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2009 09:31 PM »

salam

Muslims pray for everything but death.

We are taught to make our supplications directly to Allah ourselves as Allah likes for his slave to make supplication to him, and we believe that all our prayers are heard big and small, and none go unanswered.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2009 02:51 AM »

Thank you Brothers and Sister.
I was astounded  Shocked when this man said he was told Muslims don't pray for things and situations.
I tried to explain supplications, dua and istikhara.
How on earth can anyone think that Huh?
I was there to get something framed and I don't know how
we got on the subject of religion, churches and Muslims.
We talked about the media and culture vs Islamic things also.
Inshallah this person (store owner) may learn something from this brief meeting.
I should take him the copy of Little Mosque on the Prairie to loan to him Smiley
And I'll print off this page and leave it with him.
Goodness all the Muslims I know pray much much more than the Christians I know.
We think (or try to think) of Allah in all we do, as Brother Timbuktu mentioned above.
Thanks for food, thanks for a sunset, thanks for granchildren  Wink
thanks for clothing, asking forgiveness all the time, praying for wisdom and direction in jobs,
education, situations, etc. What is the best way to explain istikhara.
Thank you all.

Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2009 01:24 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

Peace be on the followers of guidance,

Nothing happens in the universe without God's permission, and God has given us free will.  For example, you chose to follow the Prophets, guidance, believe in God or not, and the actions that you do.

But you do not have a choice in when you were born, where, who your parents are, on what date you will die, and so on.

All of us have to follow the truth, and not use the excuse that things are decreed by God.  This excuse is untrue, for God's knowledge is Seeing but not Forcing, ie. He knows what we will do, but He does not force us to do that.  This is why we will be held accountable on the Day of Judgement.

Islam teaches a middle position between fatalism and deism.  May God guide you to follow Islam, the religion of Jesus, Moses, Abraham, and all of the Prophets of God. 

And God knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: