Welcome Guest, please login or register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10th Annual Tazkiyah Retreat w/Sh. Mokhtar: June 2009 : NY  (Read 5137 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Apr 01, 2009 05:19 AM »

10 Day Islamic Retreat on Purifying the Soul in the Mountains of Upstate NY

June 13-23, 2009 ~
From its rustic location in the Adirondack Mountains, the Zawiyah Retreat on Tazkiyat al-Nafs offers an excellent opportunity for Muslims to experience a unique Islamic Retreat to purify one's soul.

Camp activities will comprise of teaching as well as practice. Sessions will cover what the ailments of the Nafs and Qalb (heart) are and how to change the state of these inner ailments from our hearts. Throughout the camp we will emphasize Ibadah with Fikr (contemplation & reflection) and Dhikr in accordance with the Sunnah. By this way we will connect with Allah's creation and enjoy with spiritual focus the natural beauty that surrounds us. Other activities include hiking and canoeing.

We will learn to feel the pleasure that comes with Taqwa (consciousness) of Allah through an enjoyable spiritual experience, Insha' Allah.

Taught by Sh. Mokhtar Maghroui
Registration will start April 15th 6PM

Info: http://jannah.org/retreat/

On Facebook: http://www.new.facebook.com/event.php?eid=61944044595&ref=nf
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2009 07:01 PM »

Salam,

I encourage you all to attend if you can. This is the perfect place where we can "meet each other" and spend some time together in a beautiful environment!! Alhamdulillah many members of the board have attended the retreat over the last 10 years including: me, se7en, abuhamza, maliha, barr, laboogie, shortyroxrazia, deenb4dunya, noon, abdurrahman, etc etc. You can find many beautiful reflections from years past in the archives (the links are on the website). So read up and try your best inshaAllah!!

ws
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2009 10:42 PM »

Registration starts today 6PM EST!!! So get to it!!  bolt
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2009 06:17 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Wouldn't it be great if you could franchise the retreat and then you could have it in different parts of the world  bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2009 07:03 AM »

Salam alaikum

Every year around this time, I start thinking of what I am missing by not attending the retreat...and probably will never get the opportunity to *ever* attend...sub7anAllah.

So all you guys who LIVE RIGHT THERE...make a plan, will ya?  And then we can live vicariously through you and read all your refections (which by the way, please make time to post when you get back ... hmm, hint hint J Wink )

Enjoy people, hope it is a wonderfully blessed experience for you all.
Salam
S.
nameeman
Bro

Reputation Power: 1
nameeman has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2009 03:25 PM »

Last minute, i know, but very useful for those attending the Retreat this Saturday - inshaAllah:

'Preparing for the Retreat' post
See thread:
http://jannah.org/madina/index.php?topic=571.msg2480#msg2480

As salamualaikum wa rahmat ullahi wa barakatuh

I hope that this e-mail reaches all of you in a state of rising eeman and intense preparation for the upcoming retreat.

I would like to share a list of things to do and things not to do before, during and after the retreat - just in case any of these have slipped your mind, I thought that the reminder might be beneficial.  Please, take only that which is good.

Before:

1.   spend a few minutes everyday - at least - in seclusion focusing on your intention for going to the retreat
2.   bring bug spray
3.   engage in much dua' that Allah facilitate this retreat for you and that he firmly implant the knowledge in your qalb
4.   read books and pamphlets related to the etiquette of seeking knowledge so that you do it in an appropriate way.  The book recommended by Shaykh Hamza is interesting by imam Zarnuji.  Also, I think I remember seeing an internet article that summarizes imam ibn al-Qayyim etiquettes of learning (some leads: http://www.ghazali.org/works/bk1-sec-1.htm, http://webpages.marshall.edu/~laher1/ilm.html, http://www.ummah.com/sunnah/printsufeature.php?sufid=12 )
5.  start talking less and trying to focus on getting up for qiyaam <- more than likely it will be an integral part of the program
6.   try to read a half hizb of qu'raan in the morning and in the evening.
7.   try to listen to at least the first khatirah from the last retreat before you go
8.   make dua' for the people in your community and all Muslims

During:

1.  Talk only when necessary, while not engaging in excessive joking
2.  Talk only when necessary, while not engaging in excessive joking
3.  Talk only when necessary, while not engaging in excessive joking
4.  Keep focus on your long-term musharatah.  Never forget that you will leave the environment of the retreat in 10 or less days, what is going to be your plan when you leave
             i.      what are things you wish to remain steadfast in after the retreat
             ii.      what are those things that you will implement daily
             iii.      what are those things from home that you will now disassociate from
5.  Take copious notes, both in sessions and in informal discussions
6.  don't be shy to ask sidi Mokhtar questions- within reason of course
7.  Do not forget to call your families and let them know how you are
8.  Take time for khalwa, that includes those of you that are going with "best" buds and even those that are married.
9.  Engage in much dua' that Allah facilitate this retreat for you and that he firmly implant the knowledge in your qalb
10.   Make dua' for the people in your community and all Muslims

After:

1.  engage in much dua' that Allah facilitated this retreat for you and that he firmly implant the knowledge in your qalb
2.  make sure to ask all of those that you interacted with to forgive you for any wrongs committed
3.  talk only when necessary, while not engaging in excessive joking -> let the car ride home be reflection time
4.  as shaykh jafar once said upon leaving a company  of students at a retreat - make istighfar, lots of it
5.  make dua' for the people in Ottawa and all Muslims

wa salamualaikum wa rahmat ullahi wa barakatuh

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Essential Items for the Tazkiya Retreat

1.  a good niyyah

You have before you a 10-day opportunity to disengage
from the mechanics, the routine and the stress of the
everyday, and focus on your relationship with Allah,
subhanhu wa ta'aala, and immerse yourself in
remembrance, contemplation and deep thinking about
Him.

Ask yourself:  Are you happy with your level of
practice and eman?  Does your qalb [heart] feel
connected to Allah?  Where are you in your spiritual
journey?  What would you like to achieve?  What would
you like to accomplish while there?

Build resolve in yourself; prepare yourself mentally
and spiritually for this time.

2.  transportation

As was mentioned in the previous email, if you need
transportation from the Albany area to the retreat
site, you *must* contact the retreat staff with the details of your
itinerary.  Please do not assume that filling out the
application form is sufficient.  If you are not in
contact with the retreat staffl, we will assume you do not need
transportation.

3. the proper gear

The retreat is located at a camp facility outside of
Speculator, NY in the Adirondack Mountains.  As was
mentioned on the website, this is a time intended for
focus on purification and discipline of the nafs, with
a de-emphasis on material things. We ask that you
bring with you only what is needed.

Some suggestions:

- For those in the Cabin: bedding, sleeping bag, and a
pillow

- For those in the Lodge: a sleeping bag (Due to the
limited space, many of those in the lodge will be
sleeping on the floor.)

- clothing sufficient for 10 days. (There are no
laundry facilities.  Keep in mind that outdoor
activites, such as hiking, canoeing etc, may
necessitate a change of clothes.  The weather varies
from moderately warm to chilly/rainy weather.  It is
recommended to dress in layers; a fleece, sweater, or
warm jacket is useful.  For sisters who wear
jilbabs/skirts, we recommend wearing pants underneath,
due to the mosquitoes and for ease of movement during
outdoor activities.  Warm clothing is especially
recommended for those staying in the cabins, as they
get quite cold at night (40-50F).)

- notebook and writing utensils (Classes take place
throughout the day in formal and informal settings.
We are often times asked to prepare summaries and
reflections for the next class.)

- a copy of the Qur'an
- allergy medication
- toiletries
- alarm clock
- flashlight
- towel
- hiking boots
- jacket and rain gear
- phone calling card (There is no cell phone service.)
- mosquito repellant, bug spray (The mosquitoes are
extremely distracting, especially near the lake.) ...

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2009 11:42 PM »

salaam,

I won't be at the retreat this year, but I pray for all those who are going to benefit from this beautiful experience. Please keep us in your duas and I hope you can share your reflections with us when you return.

ws
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: