Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sisters 'make people happy'  (Read 2090 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Apr 02, 2009 11:37 PM »

I have to agree. I'm also wary of guys that don't have sisters, because they're usually very bad at interacting with women.  -- J.

======================
Sisters 'make people happy'

Sisters spread happiness while brothers breed distress, experts believe.

Researchers quizzed 571 people aged 17 to 25 about their lives and found those who grew up with sisters were more likely to be happy and balanced.

The University of Ulster said having daughters made a family more open and willing to discuss feelings.

They said the influence of girls was particularly important after distressing family events such as marital break-ups.

The findings are due to be presented at the British Psychological Society in Brighton on Thursday.

During the study, participants filled in psychological questionnaires which researchers used to assess a range of issues, including whether they had a positive outlook and any mental health problems.
“ Emotional expression is fundamental to good psychological health and having sisters promotes this in families ”
Professor Tony Cassidy, lead researcher

Lead researcher Professor Tony Cassidy said: "Sisters appear to encourage more open communication and cohesion in families.

"However, brothers seemed to have the alternative effect.

"Emotional expression is fundamental to good psychological health and having sisters promotes this in families."

He said many of the participants had been brought up in families where parents had split and the impact of sisters was even more marked in these circumstances.

"I think these findings could be used by people offering support to families and children during distressing times. HAVE YOUR SAY I have a sister and am neither happy or balanced Richard Hill, Birmingham

"We may have to think carefully about the way we deal with families with lots of boys."

Geri Burnikell, co-ordinator of the charity Support Line, which offers counselling to young people and families, said: "This is very interesting and certainly chimes with our experiences.

"Boys tend to internalise problems and in families where there are lots of sons, I can see that can cause problems.

"I think the most important thing in these circumstances is to give people someone independent to talk to outside the immediate family unit."

BBC News
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2009 11:44 PM »

I came across this article as well . . . hmmm do brothers in Faith count as well? If so, I've come to cause distress  Cool, if not, I'm safe from blame since I'm an only child  Smiley Wink

Anyways, in all seriousness, this is an interesting find . . .though I can see how it makes sense, just from observation.

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2009 11:47 PM »

It's definitely girls only  flowersis cuz "Emotional expression is fundamental to good psychological health and having sisters promotes this in families." I have to agree too. I think guys who are in families with girls or even families where there are more than one girls are able to share a lot with each other and seem more well-balanced than others. I know a sister that is an only girl in a family of boys and she swears she's gonna keep on having kids until she has 2 of each so each one has a partner lol  Cheesy
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2009 03:44 PM »

Although I'm an only child, I grew up with both older cousin-sisters, who were just like sisters, because they did everything I would have expected if they were truly my blood sister (same parents,etc) and I found it very comforting and I've always wished I had an older and a younger sister, so I I don't if this is related, but I really cherish my female cousins - don't get me wrong, my bhaya's (bro's) are wonderful as well, but when it comes to sharing my thoughts, etc . . .I really find it easier with them - so I can only imagine what it would have been like to have grown up in the same house with a female sibling, whether older or younger.

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2009 12:09 AM »

I would say it depends on the context in which the guy (guys) are/were raised.  I agree with Bro. WCoastbaba's take on it.

My sons have grown up with more than dozen cousin sisters with whom they have interacted as they would have had with real sisters if they had any.

So, if the guy is raised as a loner or has had no interaction with females then that would pose a problem.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2009 07:15 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

So, if the guy is raised as a loner or has had no interaction with females then that would pose a problem

I'm also wary of guys that don't have sisters, because they're usually very bad at interacting with women

This is interesting because both my brother and I didn't have any sisters or any real female interaction until we met our respective wives.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2009 07:33 AM »

ws,

a friend of mine's husband who was also two brothers said when he first got married he was just "mean" all the time...meaning abrupt or just curt or just said whatever came out of his mouth, but over time he learned how to be nicer and how to edit his words/interaction so alhamdulllah! i thought it was interesting he recognized it came from being raised in an all guys family...so maybe ur wife also had a hard time in the beginning :p

um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2009 02:12 PM »

salam

I think sisters make a  big difference and so do mothers. For boys, the fathers make a lasting impression and thus set the standard for the son's on  how to treat their spouses. So, good men (marriage material that is) can be found in families with no girls among the siblings.  You have to look no further than how the father treats  the mother, and how involved the father is in his children's lives.   

For myself, I wish I had a sister  but 2 wonderful brothers ain't bad either.  All the sisters here are *MY* sisters  flowersis

take care
wassalam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: