// jealousy
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: I will not serve God like a labourer, in expectation of my wages. - Rabia al-Adawiya
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: jealousy  (Read 1856 times)
timbuktu
« on: Apr 19, 2009 08:04 PM »

peace be upon you

written outside a newly constructed beautiful House in the street next to mine, I saw today:

مَا شَاءَ اللَّهُ لَا قُوَّةَ إِلَّا بِاللَّهِ

and it set me thinking:

Ever since I came back to this country, I have seen many people, particularly those educated in the western tradition, a consistent belittling of others. If they see someone with a large house, a big car, they immediately start saying that this must have been obtained through black or immoral money. Whatever a person's achievements or possessions, a nasty remark is made. and a constant moaning that everyone else is a crook, and does not deserve what he/she possesses.

Sure there are crooks in our part of the world. Sure there are corrupt people, but we are supposed to believe in other person's integrity unless we have reason to doubt it.

This I think is due to jealousy, class or peer, The result is an unhealthy society. Instead of concentrating on what one has to do or achieve, energy and time is lost on an activity that destroys us and the society around us.

We Muslims are required not to feel jealous, but instead say what I read above outside the house. The house is masha`Allah very big and beautiful. The owner has provided a water cooler outside the house for everyone's use, and that is good.

Why should we assume that the owner has built it with black money? The only thing one could object to is the fact that he has encroached on government land, turning it into a vast private lawn, and built a fence around it so that the public has no access to it. This is a practice many have taken recourse to, despite there being a Hadith to the effect that anyone who takes land which is not his, will find it hung around his neck on Judgment Day.

Still, this does serve a purpose, for the civic authorities do not maintain such public land, and the maintenance of a lawn means less mosquitoes and other harmful creatures.

The quote outside the house is from Surah number 18 - alKahf, verse 39. I give below the transliteration and translation.

(39) وَلَوْلَا إِذْ دَخَلْتَ جَنَّتَكَ قُلْتَ مَا شَاءَ اللَّهُ لَا قُوَّةَ إِلَّا بِاللَّهِ ۚ إِن تَرَنِ أَنَا أَقَلَّ مِنكَ مَالًا وَوَلَدًا ﴿٣٩﴾

Wa Lawlā 'Idh Dakhalta Jannataka Qulta Mā Shā'a Allāhu Lā Qūwata 'Illā Billāhi 'In Tarani 'Anā 'Aqalla Minka Mālāan Wa Waladāan

(39) "Why didst thou not, as thou wentest into thy garden, say: '(Allah)'s will (be done)! There is no power but with Allah.' If thou dost see me less than thee in wealth and sons,

Now for the Naseeha: To escape jealousy of others, recite Surah al-Falaq (Surah 113) and Surah an-Naas (Surah 114). In the masnoon wazaif, the Prophet (saw) is reported to have always recited  three times each the following Surahs:

al-Ikhlas
al-Falaq
an-Naas

When you do see something you like, say Mash`Allah, la quwwata illa billah.

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2009 06:08 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

The result is an unhealthy society. Instead of concentrating on what one has to do or achieve, energy and time is lost on an activity that destroys us and the society around us

Very true.

I think it was Hamza Yusuf who said that people would rather admit to felonious crimes than admit that they were jealous of someone. Can you remember the last time somone actually *admitted* to you that they were once jealous of you or your family?

We have to remember that our provisions are fixed by Allah and he distributes wealth in accordance with His plan.

That should suffice us all.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2009 06:12 AM »

salaam

Its kind of scary..r.eally.. somtimz I wonder alot of what was caused in my house and other things was due to jealousy?

I know people in my community really tend to be jealous of others... may Allah swt help and protect us all.
timbuktu
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2009 10:30 AM »

peace be upon you

We have to remember that our provisions are fixed by Allah and he distributes wealth in accordance with His plan.

yes. I may add, though, that this does not mean injustice and unIslamic accumulation of wealth is to be condoned. In Islam governments or administrations exist to correct this behaviour. Should we come to know of such practices, we must condemn these and take the matter to the concerned authorities. And if the authorities are themselves corrupt, there is a Hadith to that effect, too.

Its kind of scary..r.eally.. somtimz I wonder alot of what was caused in my house and other things was due to jealousy?

I know people in my community really tend to be jealous of others... may Allah swt help and protect us all.

yes, indeed a lot of harm is caused to innocent people by jealous remarks and some even go to the practice of magic. Fortunately, the Prophet (saw) has given us weapons to defend ourselves. There are masnoon duas to be recited after fajr and maghrib. Even for removing and protection from magic, there are masnoon duas.
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2009 02:53 PM »

salam

Unfortunately people always notice those who are better than them and forget that there are many who have much less than them.  Jealousy is one of diseases of the heart. It is a true struggle to cleanse our hearts from it.

If one truly believes that whatever befalls him/her is by the decree of Allah, then there should be no need to worry. Whatever misfortune happens to us in this life is a blessing from Allah because it reminds us of our lapses and/or raises our status in the hereafter.   

Having said that, it does not hurt to try to "dispel" the effects of hassad, by the duas as br. timbuktu said. 

Just remember, no one has it all in this dunya. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: