Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Come work for Islam. The work is hard, the hours are long and the pay is low.But the retirement benefits are out of this world." -Anonymous
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple deaths feared in N.Y. hostage-taking - 2 Muslimah victims make dua  (Read 6442 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Apr 03, 2009 07:01 PM »

Multiple deaths feared in N.Y. hostage-taking
Official: Man with rifle opens fire in immigration center in Binghamton

BREAKING NEWS
NBC News and news services
updated 7 minutes ago

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - A gunman blocked the back door of an immigration services center with his car on Friday before walking through the front door firing, wounding several people and taking dozens hostages, officials said.

NBC's Pete Williams cited city and state officials as saying that as many 13 people might have been killed. But Williams cautioned that the information was very preliminary and may change by because police were still searching the building.

At least 41 people were in the American Civic Association building at the time of the shooting, The Binghamton Press & Sun Bulletin reported.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30030756/?GT1=43001

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2009 08:39 PM »

At least 12 dead in shootings in Binghamton, New York
Story Highlights
NEW: 12 people killed in immigration center shooting, Gov. David Paterson says

NEW: Gunman among the dead, authorities say

NEW: There may be 20 to 40 hostages, source says

Shootings occurred at American Civic Association, which helps immigrants, refugees

(CNN) -- At least one gunman began shooting Friday in an immigration services building in Binghamton, New York, killing at least 12 people, Gov. David Paterson said.

A gunman is among the dead, law enforcement officials said.

"This is a horrible situation," Paterson said. "There's no available data on what's going on there other than the fact that lives have been lost."

The local police command center said SWAT teams are still inside, clearing the building.

A law enforcement source said that more than a dozen people were wounded.

Two people were seen being led from the building in plastic handcuffs, WBNG reported. It was not immediately known whether the two were under arrest.

The shootings began about 10:30 a.m. ET at the American Civic Association, which helps immigrants and refugees, the source said.

The source said there may have been 20 to 40 people taken hostage. Watch cops swarm to scene of 'multiple deaths' »

It said sharpshooters from the city's SWAT team were poised outside the building.

Video from the scene showed a person on a stretcher being taken to an ambulance. Watch interactive view of shooting scene

The Press & Sun-Bulletin said that about 10 people came out of the building shortly after noon. They emerged with their hands on their heads. The police searched some of them, the newspaper reported.

About 12:40 p.m., another 10 -- clad in white sheets -- came out of the rear of the building, the newspaper said. Watch police and SWAT team on the scene »

Frank Rozboril, a spokesman for Our Lady of Lourdes Memorial Hospital in Binghamton said the hospital had one person who had been at the scene in the emergency room. Rozboril said the patient, who arrived about 12:30 p.m., was being assessed.

Spokesman Richard Kolko said the FBI is sending hostage negotiators and an evidence response team to the scene. The agency has an office in Binghamton, and agents are being sent from offices in Albany and Syracuse as well.

Nearby apartments were being evacuated, and Binghamton High School is on lockdown, it said.

"Within minutes, [the situation] turned into one just flooded with police," Bob Joseph, news director of WNBF Radio, told CNN. Are you there? See submitted images, send your own

The American Civic Association helps immigrants and refugees with a number of issues, including personal counseling, resettlement, citizenship and reunification, and provides interpreters and translators, according to the United Way of Broome County, which is affiliated with the association.

Rashidun Haque, who owns a nearby convenience store, said police had him and his four customers stay inside and away from the windows.

"I'm really shaky, because this kind of thing -- it's a small city, it's a beautiful city, but nothing goes down serious like this," Haque said. Watch store owner describe police 'flooding the streets' »

He said the Civic Association building is about a two-minute walk from downtown.

Binghamton is about 140 miles northwest of New York City.

All AboutShootings • Binghamton

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/03/binghamton.shooting/index.html 

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2009 11:35 PM »

ws,

how many people were praying all through jum'ah that it wouldn't end up being a muslim. we just don't need this kind of anti-publicity right now.

i hope srkathy and everyone in the community there is ok...

also could this guy who lost his job at ibm, could he have wanted to kill immigrants who he possibly throught were stealing his job???

ws
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2009 01:43 AM »

As salaamu alaykum

http://www.pressconnects.com/

Ali was just around the block- Alhumdullillah the school went into lock down immediately.

From Allah we come and to Allah we return.
Tomorrow i have a couple of Janazah washings.
Please make dua for the  Muslims- may Allah swt forgive them their sins and enter them into paradise.
Please make dua for me as this will be the first gruesome wash I will do ...and on a dear friend.

Insha Allah i will write more in a couple of days.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2009 02:15 AM »

salam

I though of Sr. Kathy when I heard the news on the radio.

May Allah give you strength and reward you ..

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2009 05:46 AM »

wsalaam,

if sr kathy's doing janazahs that means some of the victims were muslims. very sad. inna lillah wa inna ilaihi rajeoon Sad

does this remind anyone of the hadith that 'haraj will become commonplace and everywhere' and when they asked what is haraj the prophet saw said 'killing, killing'. it's just so common and random nowadays Sad

blackrose
Sis

blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2009 06:46 AM »

Asalamulaaikum

Innalilahi wa inaelayhi raajioon

It is a sad day today...

May Allah swt give you sabr and strength sister Kathy.  Alhumdulilah that Ali is okay
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2009 09:26 AM »

Salam - oh wow, being a newbie, wasn't aware that Sr. Kathy was in the area. Shukr'Allah that she and her family are alright . . . maybe I'm mistaken, doesn't sound like it was a muslim (Wong was the surname of the shooter), but if the washings Sr. Kathy was referring to are victims from this, then it makes things very sad indeed (of course, either way, may those souls be forgiven and given a place in Jannah. Ameen).

All in all, these shootings really depress me - as I think - what could have been done to prevent this, being in the wrong place, life changing (ending for that matter) in a flash when those individuals were going about their daily business, etc.

As regards the hadith that was mentioned - indeed it seems as more and more signs are coming true that the end is coming so very close, more so that we may have thought, but I'm not really knowledgeable in this, but when I see those Ahadith, it certainly does seem that those things that our Beloved Rasul mentioned are becoming more apparent.

Well, like the rest of you, patiently waiting for futhrer updates from Sr. Kathy when she has the times, as she said, in the next few days.

Ma'salaam

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2009 09:33 AM »

Salam again - oh boy, I hope this isn't true - but the BBC report says a Taliban official called the news network and claimed responsibility for this NY attack and as I mentioned in my previous post, the suspect was a Vietnamese-American, but I guess we just have to wait and see.

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2009 02:44 PM »

As salaamu alaykum

http://www.pressconnects.com/

Ali was just around the block- Alhumdullillah the school went into lock down immediately.

Tomorrow i have a couple of Janazah washings.
Please make dua for the  Muslims- may Allah swt forgive them their sins and enter them into paradise.
Please make dua for me as this will be the first gruesome wash I will do ...and on a dear friend.

Insha Allah i will write more in a couple of days.

May Allah (swt) make it easy on you and all the families involved. :'(

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2009 06:10 PM »

It's definitely a lone gunman who was disturbed about losing his job according to the police. He was an immigrant himself and had ties to the center!! So don't know why he would attack the people who helped him and people like himself Sad Who knows why people do these things...

As for the Taliban I'm sure they'd like to take credit for everything, but there's no point. They don't realize how much what they do hurts their cause, whatever 'that is'. They should have learned after the bhudda statue incidents. Anyone notice how much more Afghanistan and the Taliban are appearing in the news. Video leaks of them brutalizing women, spy satellite photos of poppy fields -- all a precursor probably of a larger war against Afghanistan. 

Anyways let's pray for the victims inshaAllah and hopefully sr kathy can tell us who they are and if we can help them in some way.

I would also like to know why the police took 1 hour sitting outside in their bullet proof vests doing nothing and then took 2 hours to 'search for victims' who were on their cell phones btw the whole time talking to police, while people bled to death.

Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2009 07:18 PM »

As salaamu alaykum

I don't have any answers.
So far they haven't called me to come wash- apparently the mom refuses to identify (admit) it is her daughter- so they are having trouble releasing the body to be prepared for burial. Her daughter did not come home yesterday.... so we know.... but her mom's heart refuses to know...

A note to the moms... please never do this- we want to bury your child as quickly as possible so that the angels can begin their questioning and for your child to get their reward. (Easier said when it is not you dealing)

One sis is under 24and a refugee from a war torn area of Pakistan (Sawat?). I know her personally and am so sad and trying to accept Allah swt decree. The other sis is an Iraqi mom and they haven't released her name to me yet.
So I sit here and wait for the phone call. Apparently there are autopsy problems because of it being a murder. The men are with the police now.

As far as help- I do know the girl's family is extremely poor. I don't know how they are going to pay for the funeral home usage and burial plot.  A couple of years ago it was $3000. I don't charge anything for washing except  for the material. 

My body is shaking so much... May Allah swt give me ease and help me get through this. You would think I would be used to this by now. Just last week I was asking Allah swt to spare me from a car accident type victim.  The press called me last night to help them with the victims and the living. For the first time i refused and past it on to another. Now I am regretting that because so many Muslim sisters in our community are ignorant on Janazah washings. But i am numb and don't want to deal...

Just realized i am rambling....

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2009 08:26 PM »

As-salaamu alaikum Sr. Kathy - I'm speechless. I guess I wasn't sure from your previous post, but that its a sure thing that some of our Brothers/Sisters have been killed in this incident - and that Sister who is not coming to the realization that her daughter is a victim . . . truly truly depressing . . . May Allah give them strength and patience and May Allah (swt) Guide you to do what is right in this situation. I really don't know what to say."Difficult" seems too light of a word to describe this situation. Jazak'Allah Khairan for keeping us informed as much as you have done til this point in time.
Ma'salaam dear Sister Kathy. Be strong. As the Allah (swt) says in the Qur'an:

For truly with hardship comes ease; truly with hardship comes ease. (Surat al-Inshirah: 5-6)

Marcie
Sis

Marcie has no influence :(

« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2009 08:50 PM »

As salamua laykum Sister Kathy,

As soon as I found out the area, I was thinking of you.  Insha'Allah, Allah swt will give you the strength and courage that you need to handle this very difficult situation.  You and the victims are in my prayers.

My heart goes out to you.

Was salam,
Marcie

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2009 05:18 AM »

SR. Kathy,

Just came from a Halaqa in the country side, about 100 brothers and sisters came. We made dua for the deceased after maghrib salaat. The brothers are familar with you area, and they pass their salams to a older brother in your area, Br. Asam / Azam - they pray he is not a victim of this tragedy. The halaqa crowd was shocked and extremely to hear Muslims were among the dead, we prayed that Allah (swt) remove the pain and give them patience. bropraying

If you think financial assistance is required, can you get the masjid to organized something, and we can donate through them, inshallah - we can pass it around some listserv and post it on some boards and websites, inshallah.

:'(

thobebro
   UBAB

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2009 05:24 AM »

srkathy,

can you tell us how many muslims were killed? the number of sisters and the number of brothers? i know they have'nt released the names yet but maybe you can give us the numbers?

Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2009 06:07 AM »

asak
2 Muslimahs- no brothers

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2009 06:56 AM »

Sooo sad, so very sad.  innalillah May Allah have mercy on them and enter them into jannah and give solace to their families. Ameen.

Let us know if the masjid sets up some kind of fund for their burial or families.

ws

ps srkathy i don't blame you for not doing the washing, it is something extremely hard to deal with especially with people you know and especially after this traumatic shock of having something like this happen in your community and being afraid for ur son. may Allah keep you strong inshaAllah.

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #18 on: Apr 05, 2009 06:58 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum

Indeed, the whole thing is just very sad and depressing.

What has the world come to?

I was reading my paper over here and saw the story on the first page and then got a huge shock when I saw where it occured.

May Allah make it easy for those deceased and their families.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2009 02:03 AM »

About 2 1/2 miles from the American Civic Association, a packed funeral service was held at a mosque for victims Parveen Ali, 26, a Pakistani immigrant, and Layla Khalil, 57, an Iraqi Kurd who had escaped car bombings in her home country before dying in Friday's shooting.

"It's great to see people from all different religions," Ehtisham Siddiqui, the president of the Islamic Organization of the Southern Tier, told mourners. "We're fortunate to have such a diverse and tightknit community."

Afterward, the covered bodies were set outside. Mourners lined up in rows to pay their respects as an imam led them in a traditional Islamic funeral prayer.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/state/ny-libing0612624066apr05,0,1864922.story
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2009 02:09 AM »

First ACA victims laid to rest
news10now

JOHNSON CITY, N.Y. -- It was a peaceful scene at the Islamic mosque Sunday as Parveen Ali and Layla Khalil were laid to rest in the first funeral service since Friday's tragic shooting. During the service, family members of the two women spoke about the life they shared with Ali and Khalil, a life that was cut short when they and 11 others were killed by Jiverly Wong in a mass shooting at the American Civic Association.

"She's a martyr. There's nothing we could do. She was an innocent person who got killed for no reason," said Nadar Ali, Parveen Ali’s brother.

"She just want to learn English more. She was innocent. She did nothing. But when the death happened, it really affect us. It affect everyone," said Mustafa Khalil, Layla Khalil’s son.

First ACA victims laid to rest
Two victims from Friday's deadly shooting were laid to rest Sunday in the first funeral service since the tragedy. The bodies of Parveen Ali and Layla Khalil were transported to an Islamic mosque for a prayer service. Our Andy Mattison has more on how family members are dealing with the loss of their loved ones.

Parveen Ali came to America eight years ago from Pakistan. According to members at the ACA, Ali was trying to finish her GED. The middle child of three, Ali's younger brother, Nadar, remembers her as a caring person who always pushed him to do well.

"She was like a parent. She was like a friend. She was a teacher. She was a facilitator who always pushed me to go for school, to go to college, to be successful," Nadar Ali said.

While Parveen Ali was no stranger to the area, Layla Khalil lived in Binghamton for less than a year, coming to America seven months ago with her husband and three children. Originally from the war torn area of Iraq, the family came to the area hoping for a better life.

"The situation in Iraq is dangerous. Everywhere dangerous. But we hope, we came here on the hope we get better life, which was that place out of danger. Peaceful., everything is good. But situation has changed. Everything is changed. Life is life," Mustafa Khalil said.

It will take a long time for the families to cope with their loss, but they are relying on their faith to help them get through it.

"Faith plays a huge role in our lives. Faith was with us. It is and it will be with us. We are proud to be Muslims. We are proud to be in our community," said Nadar Ali.

Mustafa is a senior in high school and plans to graduate later this year. Even though he said he is disappointed that his mom won't be present at his graduation, he said he hopes to “make her proud.”
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2009 02:19 AM »

More pictures from the janazah Sad

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2009 02:25 AM »

Brother escapes, but sister among slain
Pressconnects

When Badshah Khan of Johnson City picked up his phone on Friday, the urgent voice on the other end asked, “Are you all okay?” The caller was in Khan’s native Pakistan, watching tragedy unfold half a world away.

As it turned out, everybody they knew in Binghamton wasn’t okay. As the two men spoke, two of their acquaintances — a brother and sister — were trapped in the American Civic Association.

Only the brother, Osman Ali, made it out alive.

Parveen Ali of Binghamton has now been identified as one of those slain in Friday’s shooting rampage at the American Civic Association.

Khan said has known Parveen and Osman Ali’s father, Nosher Van, for years. Van and the children’s mother, Sirag Bibi, aren’t together, and he doesn’t live in Binghamton. It was Khan, as a close family friend, who took Parveen Ali’s driver’s license to the authorities to help identify her, he said.

The Ali family is one of only a small handful in the community that speaks Pashto, relatively rare even in Pakistan. Parveen Ali translated for her mother, who didn’t eat or sleep in the more than 24 hours before she learned the certainty of her daughter’s fate.

Ehtisham Siddiqi, president of the Islamic Organization of the Southern Tier, is well acquainted with the family of the deceased.

"It's unreal. To happen in the city of Binghamton where if you have two major incidents a year it's big news, is beyond belief,” Siddiqi said. “I think the community is shell shocked.”

When the family moved to the United States, Parveen Ali didn’t know any English, but by the time she died, she was fluent, he said. Ali was a go getter who volunteered at the ACA, and was gunned down just as she was beginning her adult life.

An article published in this newspaper in August of last year identified Parveen and her older brother Usman (or Osman) as new citizens.

“Usman and Parveen have another goal: They’ll petition the U.S. government for two of their brothers to come to the United States from Pakistan, so they too can eventually find the American dream. Under immigration law, new citizens can petition for close family members to come to the United States,” the article stated.

Usman and Parveen Ali were looking forward to exercising the legal right afforded only to U.S. citizens, it said: the ability to vote.

Parveen Ali

Ali, 26, of Pakistan, came to the United States in 2001 with her mother and two brothers. She worked odd jobs at a gas station and hotel while trying to get her high school equivalency diploma.

She eventually wanted to go to college and become a teacher.

She was like a mother to her 24-year-old brother, Nadar Ali.

"It's an extreme pain," he said. He described his sister as "like the base of our family. How can I describe it to you? She played a significant role in our family."

Ali recently gained citizenship, which allowed her to sponsor two younger brothers still in Pakistan to come to the U.S., said Kaniz

Fatima, a family friend. Ali hoped for a reunion that would get them safely from the violent border region with Afghanistan.

"All her dreams are buried with her," Fatima said.

She liked little children and was the one who pushed Nadar to go to college. The two were scheduled to take a trip to Niagara Falls on Saturday.

"I guess we didn't make it."
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #23 on: Apr 06, 2009 12:38 PM »

Alhamdu Lillah, Sr.Kathy and family are fine.

Sad that people had to die by being killed in a senseless manner.

May Allah give a place to the two sisters who died in Janna-tul-Firdowsa, Ameen. And may He ease the pain of their family members.  My heart goes out to all those who died.

I commend Sr.Kathy's strength in the face of adversity. May Allah continue to make you even stronger, Ameen.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
timbuktu
« Reply #24 on: Apr 06, 2009 03:06 PM »

peace be upon you

inna lillahe wa inna elehi rajeoon

as jannah said, their is haraj everywhere. Criminals, mentally-disturbed people, misguided zealots, governments and non-state groups, all:

May Allah forgive the deceased sisters and admit them to jannatu; firdaws, and grant sabr to all.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: