Do they even know what they are doing?
Boys, 10 and 11, in court charged with attempted murder http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/5121106/Boys-10-and-11-in-court-charged-with-attempted-murder.html
Two brothers, aged 10 and 11, have appeared in court charged with the attempted murder and robbery of a pair of schoolboys in Edlington, South Yorkshire.
By Paul Stokes and Richard Edwards
Last Updated: 6:34PM BST 07 Apr 2009
The boys are accused of randomly targeting the victims, aged 11 and 9, who were allegedly tortured and burnt with cigarettes.
The two fresh-faced brothers, both under five-feet tall, made their first court appearance yesterday at Doncaster magistrates, sitting as a youth court, and were handcuffed as they were led to and from the dock.
The older boy wore a red England football shirt and his younger brother was dressed in a grey Umbro T-shirt.
Both put their hands up in turn and answered "Yes, sir" when District Judge Jonathan Bennett asked them to respond to their names.
They showed little emotion as they appeared in the glass-fronted dock flanked by two male and one female security officers. Their foster parents sat in front of the dock during the hour-long hearing.
The Crown Prosecution Service had earlier announced that both suspects, who cannot be named for legal reasons, would face charges of attempted murder and robbery of each victim.
The nine-year-old boy was found, barefoot and soaked in blood, walking along a street in the town on Saturday afternoon. He has required three operations at hospital on his arm, which was badly injured.
His 11-year-old uncle was discovered later, unconscious and with his head slashed, at the edge of a pond a mile away. The man who found him thought that he was dead.
He had suffered what were described as life-threatening head injuries when he was admitted to Sheffield Children's Hospital. He is said to be "stable" and improving.
His parents said yesterday: "We would like to thank all the community for their help in finding our son and for all their continued support through what is a very traumatic time. We are hoping that our son will continue to recover from his ordeal and ask that the media would please respect our privacy and not approach our family or friends."
The nine-year-old, who was taken to the Doncaster Royal Infirmary, has had a third operation on his arm, which was seriously injured in the attack.
Both brothers were remanded them into secure local authority to appear before the same court on April 14.