Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: We declared war on terror—it’s not even a noun, so, good luck. - Jon Stewart
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Muslim Girl Gets $400G From Nevada School District in Head Scarf Bully Case  (Read 1219 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: Apr 08, 2009 05:03 PM »

The only concern I have about the article is the source...I hope other news agencies report this. If this case is true, then proper due diligence was not conducted by the school district. (BTW - how does one spell the word tormentor?)

Otherwise it's a good day to be  sis  hijabisis  pinkhijabisis  purplehijabisis  niqabisis  princesssis  shaykha and  flowersis

thobebro
   UBAB

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,513221,00.html

Muslim Girl Gets $400G From Nevada School District in Head Scarf Bully Case
Wednesday, April 08, 2009 

A Nevada school district agreed to pay $400,000 to a Muslim girl and her friend over allegations that other students bullied her for wearing a religious head scarf and the staff did nothing to stop it.

The Washoe County School District in the Reno area will give Egyptian former student Jana Elhifny $350,000 and her non-Muslim friend Stephanie Hart $50,000 as part of the civil settlement.

Elhifny and her family came to Reno from Egypt in 2003, and the girl enrolled as a freshman at North Valleys High School.

She didn't finish the year after she told teachers and administrators that someone had threatened to kill her on the stairwell because of her Muslim hijab or head scarf, Robert Cox, the independent attorney representing the school district, told FOXNews.com.

Shortly afterwards, Cox said, Elhifny filed the lawsuit and returned to Egypt, where she married her fiancé.

The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Reno alleges that Elhifny faced death threats and harassment and school administrators did nothing to stop the abuse.

Cox said that wasn't true, and the teen was unable to give any description of her tormenter — including his or her gender, size and tone of voice. He said the high school tried to investigate her claims but were unsuccessful because of the lack of information.

"The district did an incredibly thorough investigation," Cox told FOXNews.com in a phone interview. "They could never identify the person who perpetrated these acts. ... The district did everything it could do to try to help this young woman who is an Egyptian and of the Islam faith."

Cox said school officials couldn't confirm the stairwell death threat.

"They tried to prove that, tried to track down who it was, but without a description ... that couldn't be done," he said. "The district did watch her constantly and had people in the hallway."

He said the settlement was agreed upon to end lengthy and "expensive litigation." The case has been fought in the courts for the past four years.

Hart, a non-Muslim who says she was ostracized when she befriended Elhifny at North Valleys High School and also left dropped out, will receive $50,000.

The settlement was announced early Wednesday. The monetary award will be paid by the district's insurance carrier.

The district also agreed to work with lawyers on harassment and discrimination policies.

FOXNews.com's Catherine Donaldson-Evans and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2009 06:14 PM »

ws,

I'm glad she sued them and I hope she gets the payout too and the school district learns a lesson. No child should be bullied and harassed in school and WITH the teachers/admins consent!! So wrong.
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2009 06:43 PM »

A better article explaining the background of the lawsuit ...  Smiley

thobebro
   UBAB

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_12098018

Nevada school district pays $350,000 to settle Muslim suit
By Sandy Chereb

Associated Press

Posted: 04/08/2009 07:41:38 AM PDT

RENO — A Muslim girl who said her complaints of bullying and death threats went unheeded by administrators at her Reno-area high school will receive $350,000 in a settlement with the Washoe County School District announced today.

Jana Elhifny, an American-Egyptian who openly displayed her Islamic faith and wore a religious headscarf, dropped out of North Valleys High School in 2004. In a federal civil rights lawsuit, she said she was too frightened to attend school and that teachers and administrators did not take steps to stop the harassment.

In a related settlement also announced today, Stephanie Hart, a non-Muslim who said she was ostracized and forced to leave school when she befriended Elhifny, will receive $50,000. The district also agreed to provide services for her to achieve a General Equivalency Diploma.

The monetary awards will be paid by the district's insurance carrier.

Elhifny and her family came to Reno from Egypt in 2003. In her lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court, she said other students spit and threw food at her, and threatened to kill her on Sept. 11, 2003 — exactly two years after the U.S. terrorist attacks.

When she took her complaints to school officials, they told her she should "expect" the treatment and suggested she refrain from wearing her hijab, the lawsuit said.

"Ms. Elhifny and Ms. Hart had the courage to stand up for themselves and defend their right to a safe education," said Peter Obstler,  a San Francisco attorney who handled the young women's lawsuits with the American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada.

School district lawyer Robert Cox said the district welcomed resolution to the cases and praised what he called "exemplary efforts" by school staff and administrators in their "professional and thorough handling of educational and personal issues" raised by Elhifny.

Under the settlement, the district also agreed to work with lawyers on harassment and discrimination policies.

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2009 07:39 PM »

dude,

what did i miss???

i should have sued my school district too then.  everyday on the bus home from school in 7th grade, everybody used to chant F**K YOU Mahbub!!! F***K YOU Mahbub!!

imagine how rich i'd be had i shown some common sense and complained, and sued....

dude, i even had a teacher in 9th grade -- mr. macdonald who told my jewish english teacher that i'd grow up one day and become a terrorist and kill her  Undecided

i didn't realize the significance of his malice then, but luckily i was one of that jewish english teacher's favorite students.  (she wrote my college recommendations).

imagine if i'd have sued him.  man, did i miss out....!!

(btw: this was meant to be humour, in case you missed it...)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: