Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Such stuff as dreams are made of...interpreted by Ibn Sireen.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Camp Toronto, Canada  (Read 1518 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Apr 08, 2009 10:00 PM »

I am here since Saturday and the weather decided to turn crappy!  Never been to a minus temperature before. And to to think that I was actually avoiding snow by coming to North America in Spring! Thought spring was better.  Anyway, today was good and I even went for walk.

Alhamdu Lillah!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2009 10:40 PM »

Sister Halima,

We've had no snow for the last 3 months, and now it's snowed every day this week, hmm seems to be a connection! There's always one snow storm in Toronto in April, and it came when you did  Shocked

It really does get warm here - I'm just not sure if it will happen while your here...

Anyways, I hope your in town this Friday, as it's Good Friday. The masjid are fuller than the Eids on this day, as everyone has the Friday off! Some masjids have over 5000 people (like I.M.O.)- which means it will take over an hour to leave the building after Jummah.

Go early, and find a good parking if you can - It's also a great weekend to go shopping - in fact we've been shipping more products via expre$$ to get stuff to our store before Friday to ensure that our customers get all the new products!

There's also a crazy amount of stuff this weekend - checkout torontomuslims.com and also for food selection, go to http://www.zabihah.com/lir.php?id=5
There are over now 480 Halal resturants to choose from in the Toronto Area - so go crazy while your here  Smiley

Try something that you haven't before - if you are here to visit Islamic Stores or areas there are have a few stores:

Mainstream - East - Hijab Fashion (Markham Rd+Nugget)
Mainstream - West - Habib's Book Store (Rexdale Blvd)

Other areas
Somalian/West Indian - Rexdale Blvd / North Etobicoke
Arab - Lawrence Ave near Midland (Scarbourgh)
Gurjati & East African - Thorncliffe Park Dr
Bangladeshi - Danforth and Victoria Park
Pakistani Older - Gerrard Street
Pakistani Newer - Misssissauga > Hurontario and Dundas (22 halal resturants)
Also there are Turkish and Bosnian areas on the Mississauga/Toronto Border
Plus other areas as well

Happy Hunting!

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2009 06:15 AM »

Shukran Brother UBAB!

I have been here in the summer 3 times before and loved it.  So, I thought that Spring will not be that cold but I was wrong.

When we arrived (my cousin from Michigan came with me for a week), we attended Halaqa at the Masjid Khalid Bin Al-Walid (a warehouse converted into a Masjid), prayed Asar, Maghrib and Isha there.

I.M.O. will be next on my list, INSHA-ALLAH.

Been to Lawrence and Keele where there is an Afro-Canadian Mall mainly Somali on Sunday and another Flee Market on Rexdale Blvd today.

The Gujarati/East African is definately a must see (I am from East Africa - Kenya). Plus the Islamic Bookshops.

Went to visit a family friend in St. Catherine on Thursday. Happened to see Masjid An-Noor in St. Catherine from the car, it was right there on the road!

I hope to enjoy sight seeing! INSHA-ALLAH.

The Almighty Allah says,

UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2009 09:35 PM »

Sister Halima

I was at IMO for Jumaah last Friday! We arrived 15 minutes before the Athan and the first floor men prayer area and banquat hall was already full for men! So I went upstairs with my brother in law (sister's husband).

Did you get the chance to enjoy the food festival that occured after Jummah?

Due to miscommunication with my family, each of us bought food for everyone else! We ended up eating Italian steak and pasta (kara mia), popeyes chicken sandwiches and pieces, doubles, bbq chow mein, poolaris, and biryani! We missed out on some of the other items that ran out before we could get to them.

There was a lot less people this year than last, say around 3000-3500 instead of 4000 or so last year, probably because the masjid started charging for parking since Ramadaan for their leased lot...

However,

You certain hit a Muslim hot spot, South Rexdale Area, at the Kipling Ave/ Rexdale Blvd intersection has, has 4 mosques in a 1500 ft radius...

1.) Khalid Bin Al-Walid - 1500 ft South West (Somali  ~500-1000 capacity)

2.) International Muslim Organization - 1000 ft East  (West Indian  ~3000 capacity)

3.) Ummah Nabawiah Mosque - 1500 ft North (Afghani/Pakistani ~500-1000 Capacity)

4.) Dar-ul-Hijra - 1000 Ft North or two buildings south of #3 (Somali 2.0 ~ 500-1000 Capacity)

Yet all of them have the same problems: their all over crowding !

Only IMO has solved the parking issue, but they now charges $3.00/car ($2.40 US) in the lot they lease from Sears, which gives them an additional 500-550 parking spots to compliment their existing lot of 200-250 cars (and still people double park and park in the laneways!). This is one of the selling points of IMO - the use of 1/2 of the 900 parking places that Sears has for their main Outlet here. For 10 years, Sears didn't charge anything, as long as we did not park on the 400 or so parking spaces closest to the store. But in typical Muslim fashion, we littered it with flyers and food boxes after the Jumaahs, so now we have to pay for clean up, for snow removal and security...

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Halima
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2009 03:08 PM »

Brother UBAB,

I ended up the Masjid Khalid Bin Al-Walid last Friday.  It was packed, crowded and parking was crazy.

Will be at the IMO this Friday, INSHA-ALLAH.

Shukran.

Halima

The Almighty Allah says,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: