// Cool smartphone and Islamic iPhone apps?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Do not sit idle, for indeed death is seeking you - Hasan al-Basri
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool smartphone and Islamic iPhone apps?  (Read 7924 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Apr 12, 2009 08:12 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Nothing really new about an application which indicates prayer times but this one was designed by a team of non Muslims.

It is the sort of application that seems made for an iPhone: the image of a sun moving across a multi-hued sky, gently alerting Muslims to prepare for each of their five daily prayers.

Yet future profit was far from the minds of the six doctoral students at the Georgia Institute of Technology who came up with the concept, which they unveiled this week in Boston at the human-computer interaction conference CHI.

They do plan to make the application available to support wider Muslim prayer practices over the internet, hopefully within the next year, but have not begun to consider how, said Susan Wyche, one of the researchers and a doctoral candidate at the Institute’s College of Computing and GVU Center.

The researchers chose Islam for their study due to the religion’s popularity worldwide and in the US, where 65 per cent of the 2.35 million Muslims are immigrants.

There are already a number of commercially available prayer call mobile applications, such as Mathan or Azaan, but these rely on text messages and numbers – lists, basically – to relay prayer times.

When the researchers consulted with seven focus groups on the project, they found the various members, from professionals to students, were yearning for more meaning from a mobile call to prayer.

They explained the call to prayer also signals to Muslims that is time to shift from a secular frame of mind.

“Your reminder to pray is very different than being prompted to pick up milk at the grocery store,” said Ms Wyche. “There is something more sacred.”

Muslims have historically used technology, such as compasses and telescopes, to help them determine the direction to face during prayer, while the position of the sun in the sky has been one of the most religiously valued methods to determine the right time to pray.

From the outline of a mosque to a prayer mat, imagery is a vital part of Islam, so the group set out to use it to design something that went beyond mere function to strengthen the user’s connection to their religion.

The application had to be about more than “efficiency and productivity”, said Ms Wyche. “Why would you design a device that makes someone pray faster?”

The application, which is called Sun Dial, signals the approaching prayer to users through an image of the sun lining up with a green circle. When the two are aligned, it is time to pray.

It is linked to islamicfinder.com, a website that provides prayer times for more than six million cities worldwide.

The researchers used the colour green because it is associated with nature and considered blessed within Islam to communicate the solar positions.

“That was another element that drove the design, seeing something simple, thoughtful, where everything is in its place,” said Ms Wyche. “When you go into a mosque, there is a reason why everything is where it is. There is nothing extraneous.”

The project had a side benefit of giving the researchers, none of them Muslim, a personal window into an often-misunderstood religion.

“Islam is growing like gangbusters around the world and I think we really need to start dealing with it and understanding it,” she said. “It was just a pleasure to learn about the faith.”

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20090411/FOREIGN/936187386&SearchID=73350940052402

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009 03:30 PM »

This looks waaaay cool . . . but I don't have an iPhone :-(

desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2009 05:55 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

With all these Blackberries and iPhones out there, I wondered how many of you guys had come across some really good applications for your phones.

In particular are there any good Islamic applications out there? (eg Qur'an apps)

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2009 04:21 PM »

Salams Br. Khalid,

The most valuable apps that made my 3G valuable is:

iQuran 
listen to the recitation
read the text or translation
scroll rapidly up or down to find the surah you want very very fast

and

iPray
Lists current day's prayer and the prayer for the next 5 days. The best feature is that you can click on the next prayer and it will tell you the time remaining until that prayer!
Aside - iPray Athan feature does not work on 3G OR 3G S

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
UmmZ
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
UmmZ has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2010 05:43 PM »

Salaam alaikum

Qiyam - time to stand:  Get prayer times over the phone.  Just call 877-413-1553 & enter your zipcode. 

http://qiyam.com

UmmZ
Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2010 07:36 AM »

Anyone has a list of good apps for iPhone 4?

thanks

Jaihoon

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2010 12:58 AM »

Here ya go. Don't say I neva did nothin' for ya Smiley
========================

#1 iQuran – This app offers its users the Complete Quran in the Uthmani Font along with verse by verse translation and recitation. iQuran offers excellent usability options and extreme ease of use. (Created by Guided Ways Technologies Ltd)

#2 iPray – Daily prayer times for your local city along with Qibla direction, distance and athan! (Created by Guided Ways Technologies Ltd)

#3 alQuran – A highly optimized and searchable Holy Quran. You can read the entire Quran and translations and commentary. You can also listen verse by verse from many famous reciters. (Created by alMubin.com)

#4 Divine Names — LITE Version – Listen and memorize the Recitation of the Glorious Names of Allah(swt). (Created by Magnicode Inc.)

#5 ZabihahLite –The World’s Largest Guide to Halal Restaurants & Mosques – This is one of the best resources EVER to find halal restaurants where you live. (Created by Halalfire Media LLC)

#6 Hadith Qudsi — Easy to navigate, english translation of Hadith Qudsi. (Created by T-Bone)

#7 Quranic Words — LITE Version- Understand the Arabic Qu’ran (LITE VERSION) — Hear the pronunciation of Quranic Words and see it used in a sentence from Quran. This is an amazing learning tool! (Created by Magnicode Inc.)

#8 Islamic Calendar – The Islamic Calendar or Hijri Calendar is a lunar calendar used by Muslims in predominately Muslim Countries. It is used to determine the proper dates for Islamic Holy Days and Festivals. (Created by i4Islam)

#9 Daily Hadith - AHadith are sayings and deeds of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). View a new Hadith in English with an explanation daily. You can also mark your favorite AHadith. (Created by Adaptive Solutions Inc.)

#10 QDu’aas — LITE VERSION - This is app only has 3 Du’aas to memorize. However its a great starter resource and very easy to use. There is a clear recitation and both the arabic and english translation. The three Du’aas included are from Surat Taha, Al-Baqarah and Al-Kahf. (Created by Magnicode Inc.)
Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2010 05:06 AM »

Thanks

Let me 'equiApp' myself Smiley

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2011 11:03 PM »

Cute article on the rise of religion apps including Islamic one's: http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_17498091?nclick_check=1
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2011 11:04 AM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

I was going to reply in Ramadan Apps, but I decided to reply on this thread as the apps below are for all year round.. they work on iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4
kids-dua (great app, not only for kids.. But adults too.. Has audio & the kid is so cute)
QamarDeen. (almost like a diary of your daily worship, how you prayed eg: fardh & Sunnah (in Jamah or not) sadaqah, fasting & how much Quran you've read. Also the cool thing is this app can be linked straight to iQuran app which can tell you how many Ayah's or Juzz you've read). I've found this app to be helpful post Ramadan where it's useful to track your Ibadah.
Bukhari - Hadith app
Muslim - Hadith app
iDuaa - (Almost like the Fortress of the Muslim)
Muhammed - app on the basic Seerah, (great for kids, but good as a reminder for adults too)

Ok I've listed a few.. I will add some more. If Sis J thinks this post should be moved, please feel free to move Smiley

Hope these help ya out guys!
Ma'Salam,
Cinders

Ps: no matter what you think about iPhone's, I found it to be extremely helpful for Islamic apps. This was the main reason I bought my iPhone. I maybe the only person who hardly has any games apps on my phone, apart from Wordsearch which is pretty amazing (for me anyway) Smiley

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2011 04:06 PM »

Salam alaikum

Any know of any good qiblah-finder-compass apps?

wslm
S.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2011 04:43 PM »

Salaams - I have an Andriod phone so here are the Islam-related apps I have

iQuran (as mentioned above)
40 Hadith Qudsi
40 Hadeeths (Imam An Nawawi)
Islamic Prayer (@Sr Shahida - this app has a nice qibla compass)

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2011 05:07 PM »

assalamu alaiykum,

*Torchbearers is a great app
*Duas
*iHadith
*iIslam
*Quran Radio
*Islamic Compass

all above work on iphone 3GS or above

Ma'Salam,

Cinders

muslimgamer
Bro

muslimgamer has no influence :(

admin of muslimgamer.com

« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2011 07:02 PM »

Salam alaikum

Any know of any good qiblah-finder-compass apps?

wslm
S.

slms Sister,  I have an android so i am not sure if you use Iphone or Android, I was searching for several recently and I had a lot of trouble finding one that worked without a data plan. In the end I found one that worked very well but alas it still needed the data plan to be on. I can check what it was called if you're still in need of it?

Admin of the Muslim gamers website http://muslimgamer.com. Islam,Video Games, Technology, Apps and more, from the perspective of Muslim Gamers
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2012 07:32 PM »

Yayyy I got an iphone... Just downloaded the Twitter app, Iquran lite and the Islamicfinders prayertimes. Anything else of use?? I want to download the free text messaging thing... that always costs me a ton!!
silver
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
silver has no influence :(

« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2012 08:12 PM »

You should get whatsapp. Its awesome. Then there are QuranExplorer and skype. Thats pretty much all that I use.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2012 06:28 AM »

OK I may download any or all of these... how futuristic do these sound!!!!!

===============

SKYVIEW This is the new leader among iPhone astronomy apps — at least for the money. SkyView ($2) features a dead simple interface with just the right amount of cool features to keep casual stargazers enthralled. Point your phone at the sky, and the app transforms the camera view into a labeled map of the heavens. The graphics are lovely, and you can click for more information on various planets and stars, or, with the sweep of a finger, learn when they will be in a particular spot in the sky. The free version is also good, but it offers just a glimpse of the paid version’s extended features.

PHOTOSYNTH This extremely cool panorama technology from Microsoft is highly refined and a breeze to use. Stand in place and point the phone’s camera straight ahead, and Photosynth (free) snaps a picture. It then prompts you to drift in different directions and to stop when it detects the next photo in the panorama sequence. The app takes a minute or two to process the shot, but when it’s done, you have an amazing photo that you can rotate in any direction, enlarge and share as you would any iPhone image.

Nike+ GPS
Nike's running companion app is currently free and you don’t need the special shoe sensors to use it -- it records your running routine via the iPhone GPS and accelerometer.

Color
One of the most hyped apps this year, Color combines social networking and photo-taking by bringing together photos taken by people in your vicinity -- and helps you make new connections.

Thermo
A different take on weather apps, Thermo is like a pocket thermometer on your iPhone, showing you not only the temperature outside now, but also readings from the previous day for comparison.

HeyTell
HeyTell turns your phone into a walkie-talkie by allowing you to send voice messages to single users or groups via 3G, EDGE, and Wi-Fi, with push notifications for new messages.

Meal Snap
What's cool: Meal Snap can approximate how many calories are in a meal you eat--all you have to do is take a picture of the food with your phone. After the app recognizes the meal, it tells you the information.

Nursery Rhymes
What's cool: Nursery Rhymes allows you to read a book to a loved one from anywhere in the world via an iPhone or an iPad. You read the story at one end, and the recipient can interact with beautiful graphics and listen to you at the other end.

Quick Scan - Barcode Scanner & Best Shopping Companion iPhone App

Shopping is the easy thing, but to make smart shopping is bit tough. Now, you can make your shopping even more effective with the help of Quick Scan - Barcode Scanner & Best Shopping Companion application. Having this app, you can get low online prices & product details from more than 1000 retailers. Save your favorite product and use them afterward. The good thing is that it lets you directly type in the barcode instead of scanning.

Have2P Restroom Locator

The best things in life are free, like the Have2P iPhone app that helps you find nearby bathrooms on the quick. The emphasize on QUICK comes in with the GPS feature that quickly finds the closest restrooms to your exact location. If you’ve got the time to be a little picky, the app features reviews as to the level of cleanliness and whether or not you have to be a customer. FREE Source

The Web’s top software app for voice and video chat, Skype is a particularly nice low-cost alternative for students who find themselves making International calls. With free Skype-to-Skype calls and cheap rates on calls to mobile or landlines, the service is even available for mobile users on a good number of Android, BlackBerry and Nokia devices, as well as Apple’s iPhone 3G or 3GS. With video-conferencing features that support up to five users in one group chat and audio-conferences with up to 25 participants, study group never seemed easier.

Free Books
Aside from a free and easy way to read your way through classic lit, the Free Books app ($1.99, iPhone) is a great way to quote Dickens perfectly during your English lecture. With a library of more than 23,000 free domain classics, the app is a buffet of literature’s most famous authors. Not an Apple user? Try out Google’s collection of free books, now with an easy to navigate mobile page.

Word Lens
is a real-time translation app that you have to see to believe. (And you can, thanks to this video demo.) The app uses augmented-reality technology to translate real-word objects in real-time. Menu in Spanish? No problem — point the app at it and watch the words transform. The quality of the translations can sometimes be spotty, but Word Lens is an exciting look at technology to come. The app is free; language packs are limited currently and available for $9.99

HopStop
Ah, the commuter's dilemma: subway, bus, or cab? HopStop makes the choice easy. Just enter your starting and ending addresses and the app gives you detailed directions of how to get there via public transportation. You can even specify more walking or less walking, fewer transfers or more transfers, and so on. Rainy day? Taxi mode will estimate the time and cost of taking a cab, and give you information about nearby cab companies.

Epicurious

Making a stop at the grocery store on your way home? Pull up Epicurious, type in the ingredients you know you have at home, and then let the app do the rest. A virtual cookbook, Epicurious helps you plan small meals or family dinners on the go. One of the best features is the ability to see what percentage of people who made a recipe would do so again, so you can be sure that your chosen menu is worth the effort.

Sleep Cycle

I was using this as my main alarm clock, but it doesn’t work so well with our new foam mattress. Still, I thought it was worth mentioning. After learning the characteristics of your sleep movements and cycles, this app will continually monitor your sleep and wake you up at some point during a set window of time when you’re in the lightest sleep cycle – thereby avoiding that groggy feeling and instant need to hit the snooze button for another 10 minutes.

As I said, it’s not going to work with very stiff mattresses like foam, but for the most part this app really does work, and 90% of the time it will wake you up feeling fresh and ready.

Find My iPhone
Armed with my wife’s iCloud login data, I use this to see if she’s on the way home from work, and if not, I send a barrage of non-silencable messages reminding her that she technically finished 30 minutes ago.

Before you accuse me of being something horrible, know that mostly I use it to see when she’s getting close to the house so I can go and greet her with a big welcome home hug. Awww. I also described in a previous post how we used it to trace her phone when it was stolen.

Timer+ is a simple countdown timer that can run multiple timers from a list of presets. It lets you pause and resume timers and set timers with seconds. Timer+ will alert you even when it’s running in the background.
Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2012 05:52 PM »

AOA

My fav apps

iQuran - Brilliant....

ipray - Automatically adjusts to wherever you are to give you Prayer Allerts with or without Athan

Al-Dua - Free app that has lots of dua's etc....

Pakistani Cookbook - lots of recipies if u r stuck for ideas

My fitness pal - good for tracking weight, calories, exercise etc...

I use tweetdeck rather than twitter as the interaction is better

apart from whatsapp viber is also a good app viber to viber is free no mater where in the world u r just uses data... way cheaper than international call charges

and ebay.....

xx
Promote Virtue

Promote Virtue has no influence :(

« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2012 05:17 PM »

Allah (the Exalted) said in Quran:

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آَمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَلْتَنْظُرْ نَفْسٌ مَا قَدَّمَتْ لِغَدٍ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ خَبِيرٌ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ (18)" سورة الحشر "

" O you who have believed, fear Allah . And let every soul look to what it has put forth for tomorrow - and fear Allah . Indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what you do." [59:18].

From the Ayah above specifically "And let every soul look to what it has put forth for tomorrow" our Muslim brothers made an innovative app for every Muslim to account himself before Allah(the Exalted) accounts him.

Description :
Al-Muslim app allows you to keep track of one of the most important act in Islam (Prayers) and reminds you of other good deeds and actions that Allah guided all muslims to do.
The App provides you with:
1: Check list for the five prayers.
2: Check list for the Suna prayers.
3: Daily good intentions list. You can edit the list up to your preference.
4: A summary view from which you can monitor your performance and check how many prayers your should have done, how many prayers you have done , ratio of performance, and a list with the other good deeds and how many times you have done each one of them.

Screenshot:

Al-Muslim app is available now in apple store and coming soon to android market.

Links
http://www.facebook.com/AlMuslimApp
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/al-muslim/id515898432?ls=1&mt=8
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2012 06:52 PM »

Check out this app
RESALA RAMADAN, download from AppStore.  It looks pretty good.

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #20 on: Aug 27, 2012 12:11 PM »

Is there a Fortress of a Muslim app for blackberry?
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #21 on: Aug 27, 2012 04:19 PM »

There is one one on iPhone called Hisnul Muslim. Amazing app! Smiley like Fortress of Muslim. However not sure about blackberry though. Never had it. Another very similar is called iDuaa. Again don't know if it's on Blackberry sorry.

All those with iPhone's seriously recommend Smiley.

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #22 on: Aug 27, 2012 07:06 PM »

Seems like getting a BB was not such a good idea. I can't seem to find good islamic apps for it. No pdf reader either Sad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: