Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Apr 23, 2014 06:21 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One Chance One Quote  (Read 4263 times)
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« on: Apr 12, 2009 01:57 PM »

As salaamu alaykum
We are having an Interfaith program.  I will have a table with library books.  I am thinking to give book marks as a freebie.
What one quote from Hadith or Qur'an would you put on the bookmark?
I do not want to put any threats of hellfire and I want to appeal to the Christians and Jews.
I want to be careful of not putting them on edge.
Something to do with Allah, love or Tawheed.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2009 02:21 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum, Sr. Kathy Smiley

The most well-known ones are great:

1) Ayat al-Kursi (admittedly long, but grrreeeeaaaat).
2) Surah Ikhlaas (tawheed)
3) Al-Fatihah (sounds familiar to people of the book, yet...)
4) Surah Alaq:1-5 (the first 5 ayaat revealed are actually pretty deep concepts of knowledge and understanding).
5) Surah Baqarah: 257: "God is near unto those who have faith, taking them out of deep darkness into the light..." (inspirational).
6) Surah Nisaa: 36: "And worship God [alone], and do not ascribe divinity, in any way, to aught beside Him.
  And do good unto your parents, and near of kin, and unto orphans, and the needy, and the neighbour from among your own people, and the neighbour who is a stranger, and the friend by your side, and the wayfarer..." (nice theme on service to others).
7) Surah Mulk 1-: "Blessed is He in whose hands is the Kingdom- Who is powerful over everything- Who has created death and life, so that He might test you as to which among you [proves that he] is good in conduct..." (beautiful)
Cool Surah 2:152: "Then remember Me; I will remember you. Be grateful to Me, and reject not Faith..." (beautiful)
9) Surah Nur: "God is the Light of the heavens and the earth..." (beautiful)
10) Surah Nahl: 65: "And God sends down water from the skies, giving life thereby to the earth after it had been lifeless:" in this, behold, there is a message indeed for people who listen." (environmental)

Need more?

hijabisis

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2009 04:41 AM »

Wa alaykum as salaam wa rhamatullah wa barakatu
Thanks for the time you took to post.

1) Ayat al-Kursi- too long silly- it's a book mark-!- one liner please!
2) Surah Ikhlaas (tawheed)- my first choice- but the begots/ begets- will put them on edge- its a direct 'hit!'
9) Surah Nur: "God is the Light of the heavens and the earth..." (beautiful)- maybe!
10) Surah Nahl: 65: "And God sends down water from the skies, giving life thereby to the earth after it had been lifeless:" in this, behold, there is a message indeed for people who listen." (environmental)- too long...

Need more?- Yes!

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2009 08:14 AM »

O mankind! do your duty to your Lord, and fear (the coming of) a Day when no father can avail aught for his son, nor a son avail aught for his father. Verily, the promise of Allah is true: let not then this present life deceive you, nor let the chief Deceiver [Satan] deceive you about Allah.

[31:33]

Verily Satan is an enemy to you: so treat him as an enemy

[35:6]

"Did I not enjoin on you, O ye Children of Adam, that ye should not worship Satan; for that he was to you an enemy avowed?

[36:60]

Whatever good, (O man!) happens to thee, is from Allah; but whatever evil happens to thee, is from thy (own) soul

[4:79]

Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful

[39:53]

But ah! thou soul at peace!

Return unto thy Lord, content in His good pleasure!

[89:27-28]

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2009 02:39 PM »

As-salaamu alaykum,
Small font won't work? We've made some with short hadiths and verses, but maybe they were just bigger.
Ok, since we're talking small bookmarks:

"Read! In the name of your Lord Who Created you." (Qur'an 86:1)

or

"My Lord, increase me in knowledge." (Qur'an 20:114)

or

"To God belongs the East and the West: Wheresoever ye turn, there is the presence of God." (Qur'an 2:115)

or

What BrKhalid said.

Smiley

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2009 10:46 PM »

asak
Don't want to use small fonts. Most people that come to these gatherings are old church going folk.

Guys... i want love peace and good will type quotes. asak
Yikes! These quotes are good. But not for Christians.
They are not used to words of evil, shaitan, sins etc...
I don't want ot alienate, scare or make them tremble.

I am thinking of doing the bookmarks in memory of the Muslims who died last week, using a small part of a donation of sadaqa jariyah, keeping in mind "to teach them Islam...if even by an ayat."

um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2009 12:15 AM »

salam

i  suggest this 49:13,

O people, we have created you from a male and a female, and have made you into nations and tribes, so that you may come to know one another.  Verily, the noblest of you in the sight of God is the one who is most deeply conscious of Him. Behold, God is all-knowing, all-aware.

if too long, then you can just use  the first part , i.e.,

O  people we have created you from a male and a female, and have made you into nations and tribes, so that you may come to know one another 
Quran 49:13

I think the meaning is inviting  don't you think?

wassalam
Mohamed
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Mohamed has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2009 08:17 AM »

Salaam Alikoum

AL-GHAFIR (THE FORGIVER (GOD) )

YUSUFALI: "O my people! This life of the present is nothing but (temporary) convenience: It is the Hereafter that is the Home that will last.
PICKTHAL: O my people! Lo! this life of the world is but a passing comfort, and lo! the Hereafter, that is the enduring home.
SHAKIR: O my people! this life of the world is only a (passing) enjoyment, and surely the hereafter is the abode to settle;

syid
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
syid has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2009 03:38 PM »

AS SALAAMU ALAIKUM

SINCE IT IS AN INTERFAITH EVENT I WOULD PUT SOMETHING ON THE BOOKMARKS TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE PROPHETS (SAAS).

LIKE: SURAT  V:47   "IT WAS WE WHO REVEALED THE LAW (TO MOSES (SAAS)): THEREIN WAS GUIDANCE AND LIGHT ..."

AND SURAT V:49  "AND IN THEIR FOOTSTEPS WE SENT JESUS (SAAS) THE SON OF MARY (RAA), CONFIRMING THE LAW: WE SENT HIM THE GOSPEL: THEREIN WAS GUIDANCE AND LIGHT..." 

AND SURAT V:51   "TO THEE (MUHAMMAD (SAAS)) WE SENT THE SCRIPTURE IN TRUTH, CONFIRMING THE SCRIPTURE THAT CAME BEFORE IT AND GUARDING IT IN SAFETY ..."

THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THAT WOULD BE YOU BEING ABLE TO EXPLAIN WHAT THE "WE" STAND FOR IN THOSE AYAT IF ASKED.

ALL TRANSLATIONS CAME FROM THE HOLY QUR'AN (TRANSLATED BY ABDULLAH YUSUF ALI)
YOU MAY WANT TO GET THE TRANSLATIONS FROM THE NOBLE QU'RAN

LIVE YOUR LIFE FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH:
IF IT'S NOT FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH IS IT EVEN WORTH DOING?
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2009 04:15 AM »

I am assuming you are looking for one liners be it Hadith, Qur'an or Muslim Wisdom with moderate message. Though assumptions are always wrong, here are some:

Qur'an
Humankind! Worship your Lord who created you and those before you that you may remain conscious of him.

-Qur'an, Al-Baqara, Surah 2:21

Hadith
There is a key for everything, and the key to Paradise is to love the poor.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Ibn Umar

Muslim Wisdom
Friendship takes many years to establish; so do not fall out with a friend over a single disagreement.

-Sadi, "Gulistan"  -

You decide on how to use the one liner appropriately.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2009 06:23 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

So how is this going Sr Kathy? Have you decided on what to use?

The one liner prerequisite does make it pretty hard to narrow quotes down!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2009 12:27 PM »

asak
I have narrowed it down to 5- from Muslims
I am now passing them through some non Muslims.
More than one line is ok - up to three?
So far I only got goose bumps on one- got more?

Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2009 02:36 PM »

As salaamu alaykum
Just an update: The results are interesting. I sent out an e-mail with the top 6 and asked non Muslims and reverts which was their pic. I did learn some interesting things, such as there were a couple of quotes the strict Christians found inaccurate to their way of thinking- that I did not pick up. One friend reminded me that the Jews may 'put up a wall' with any quotes of Jesus. Also, Syid made a good point about the "We." Thinking about the Trinity and the first time I read "We" and what I thought- I choose not to use these ayats. Please remember it is not that I am rejecting an ayat- just choosing a more suitable one.
I also found it interesting, with the exception of our Halima- there were no quotes of Rasolullah (saw) submitted by any Muslim I contacted.
Does anyone know what the ayat was that Prophet Muhammad (saw) quoted to the king who took shahadah the moment he heard it?

Here are the results so far:
1.   "To God belongs the East and the West: Wheresoever ye turn, there is the presence of God. For God is all-Pervading, all-Knowing " 2:115

2.   “O people, we have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, so that you may come to know one another.  Surely the most noble of you in the sight of God is the one who is most deeply conscious of Him. Behold, God is all-knowing, all-aware. 49:13

3.   “Verily in the remembrance of God, do hearts find rest." 13:28

4.   "God is the Light of the heavens and the earth..." 24:35

5.   “When My servants ask you concerning Me, I am indeed close to them: I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calls on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: that they may walk in the right way. 2:186

6.   Say you: "We believe in God, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to all the Prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: and we bow to God." 2:136

#2 or #4 Christmas Catholic
#4 Catholic
#6, all Jew convert to Christian
#6 Christian
#6 ,#2 Unitarian/Taoist
#3, #1 Searching
#3 Mormon
#3 Bigot
#3& #5 Pentecostal tongues
Muslim Reverts- #1, #2

um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2009 03:41 PM »

salam

what's a christmas catholic?
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Apr 24, 2009 03:45 PM »

A person who only goes to church on Christmas and Easter.

Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009 05:56 PM »

As salaamu alaykum
I attached the final bookmarks in the community toolbox, in case you wanted to use them.
http://jannah.org/madina/index.php?topic=2962.msg14262#new

Thank you to all those who gave great advice and suggested ayats.
Jazak Allahou Khyra

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: