// Baptizing Obama's Granny Irks Muslims
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "No legacy is so rich as honesty." - William Shakespeare
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptizing Obama's Granny Irks Muslims  (Read 714 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Apr 22, 2009 07:03 AM »

Baptizing Obama's Granny Irks Muslims

By  IslamOnline.net & News Agencies

"When I heard there were plans to baptize me, I rejected," Sarah said. (Google)

NAIROBI — An attempt by a protestant church to convert US President Barack Obama's Muslim step-grandmother to Christianity has drawn the ire of Kenyan Muslims who urged the government to intervene.

"I regret the attempt by the Christian religion to force her to convert," Sheikh Mohamed Khalifa, the organizing secretary of the Council of Imams and Preachers of Kenya, told Agence France Presse (AFP) on Monday, April 20.

The Seventh Day Adventist church in the western town of Kisumu had planed to baptize Mama Sarah, 87, in a major ceremony on Saturday, April 18.

But when Sarah received the invitation she was surprised and declined to attend.

"When I heard there were plans to baptize me, I rejected," she told the Nairobi-based The Standard daily.

Sarah became a national celebrity when her grandson visited the country in 2006.

Her modest homestead has become a tourist attraction since Obama, the former Illinois senator, was elected America's first ever black president last November.

Obama, who describes himself as a proud follower of the Trinity United Church of Christ, is the son of a Muslim-turned-atheist Kenyan father and a white American mother who did not practice religion.

Born in Hawaii, he lived from ages 6 to 10 in Indonesia with his mother and Muslim stepfather.

Obama made a reference to his Kenyan Muslim relatives in a keynote speech before the Turkish parliament.

"Many other Americans have Muslims in their family, or have lived in a Muslim-majority country – I know, because I am one of them."

Provocation

Muslims dismissed the attempt to Christianize Obama's granny was an unjustifiable provocation.

"Why her? Why not before Obama became president? Didn't they see her before he became president?" imam Khalifa wondered.

The Muslim leader urged the government to take action against the church, indicating that such acts fuel sectarian tension.

"The government has to urgently intervene over the matter to prevent a religious stalemate."

There are nearly ten million Muslims in Kenya, which has a population of 36 million.

"Muslims will not sit back and watch one of their own being coerced by some Christian religious leaders to convert to Christianity," warned imam Khalifa.

Defiant church pastors said they would not give up on convincing Sarah to convert.

They camped at her Kogelo home, trying to convince her to be baptized.

"Mama (Sarah) was born a Muslim and wishes to die a Muslim," her son Saidi Obama, a step-brother to the US president, told AFP.

"The issue of conversion is neither here not there."
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2009 09:48 AM »

salam

Goodness, imagine the scenario were it the other way round.

Can you imagine the international outrage, if Muslims camped outside some frail eldery ladies house in an attempt to coerce her into converting to Islam?Huh??

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: