Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been. - Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you had one chance....  (Read 3512 times)
umm ibraheem
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
umm ibraheem has no influence :(

« on: Jan 21, 2008 02:35 AM »

Asalaamu alaikum,

I recently met a women at an appointment I had and she mentioned that she is looking for a new religion.  She is catholic and is not satisfied with it.  I offered to bring her some books on Islam. 

What would you give to her or say to her, if you had only one chance to get her interested in Islam?

I have those 'brief illustrated guides to islam' i think thats what its called.  I could pass on one of those and a quran with translation.

Any help would be appreciated, i'll be seeing her on Tuesday morning, so before then if possible. 

Jazkallah khairan!
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2008 03:42 AM »

Do you have that Towards Understanding Islam by Mawdudi book? A lot of reverts told me they really liked it. What about a good tape of Hamza Yusuf? Also, what type of woman does she seem like? Political activist type? More spirituality seeker? I would find something that might appeal to them as a beginning introduction like the Autobiography of MalcolmX or Rumi or something on Islamic art/architecture depending on the person and then follow up with them about the more theological aspects from there.

umm ibraheem
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2008 04:32 PM »

I'm not sure if I have that book.  But she doesn't seem like a political activist.  She said she is a good person, loves her family, helping others, etc, and feels like that is enough, but knows that it isn't.  So I guess i have to find something that shows the humane side of islam. 

Jazakallah khairan for the help!  Anything else?
umme bilal
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
umme bilal has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2008 04:08 AM »

Asalam alaikum Umme Ibrahim
                                                  I have this book towards understanding Islam and it is good boot for non muslims/new converts but we live Far from each other , how about those Why Islam Litreture ? you can  find some of them online and print  http://www.whyislam.org/877/Services/Literature/.
umm ibraheem
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2008 04:31 AM »

Jazkallah khairan Umme Bilal Smiley  I'll check that site out right now!
Saaima
Sis

Saaima has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2008 01:42 PM »

peace be upon you

The movie "The Message" gave me a brief insight into what may have made the early Muslims revert to Islam.  They basically found the truth, pure and simple.  Implementing the Islamic way of life is liberating.  Islam gives you justice and equity.

It would be nice if someone could help your friend figure out why she's not satisfied with her present religion and what answers she is looking for.

May Allah Ta'ala grant her guidance.
umm ibraheem
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2008 03:49 AM »

Ok so i've been speaking to this lady for a few weeks now, she's very nice masha-allah.  I gave her a cd to listen to (Khalid Yaseen) which she thought was amazing, but the second time she listened to it she was looking for something negative.  And she didn't hear him mention anything about women.  but she knows the cd wasn't about different gender roles.  Anyways she doesn't want to be in a religion that puts women down, thats why she's not into catholicsm (sp). 

So what books/websites, cds would you reccomend that give the good outlook of women in islam.  She likes easy to read books, she actually prefers story types.  and nothing heavy. 

Another thing to mention is that she thinks her husband is pretty much atheist.  I know if she hears something like you would have to divorce your husband if he doesn't convert (eventhough there steps before that point), than she would stop considering islam all together.  So i guess i just want to be careful as to what I introduce, order that is.

jazakallah khairan!
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2008 08:47 PM »

Asalamualaikum

so far the best that I have read on women in islam is

'Gender equity in Islam' by Jamal Badawi and 'The status of woman in Islam by Jamal Badawi

There is also the article "    WOMEN IN ISLAM VERSUS WOMEN IN THE Judaeo-CHRISTIAN TRADITION:

THE MYTH & THE THE REALITY"
a_desert_rose
Sis

a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2008 10:38 PM »

Assalamualaikum,

What about some Yusuf Estes DVDs? Mashallah, he is a wonderful and convincing speaker, his arguments are all clear and logical plus he's funny  Grin I could watch his lectures for hours on end. I especially liked his story on how and why he reverted to Islam, however he was a Protestant priest not Catholic, I'm not sure if that would be an issue.

Wassalam,

a_desert_rose
umm ibraheem
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2008 02:13 AM »

Jazakallah khairan for the ideas.  I was actually telling her the story of how Yusuf Estes converted, but stopped because I remembered the part where his wife said she wants a divorce because a Muslim women can't be married to a non-muslim man.  If she heard something like that I know she would've stopped researching Islam since her husband as of now is an atheist. 

Any videos of Muslim women giving speeches?  or any good cds, by men or women dealing with women in islam?
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2008 02:30 AM »

salam,

If you can find some of Aminah Assilimi's old videos they are pretty good and interesting. There were also some videos/tapes by Dr. Jamal Badawi on the topic of Women in Islam.
a_desert_rose
Sis

a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2008 05:50 PM »

Assalamualaikum,

Have you had a look at the writings of Maryam Jameelah? She is a Jewish revert...I've read the correspondence between her and Maulana Maududi and she's very articulate on paper mashallah. There's an excerpt on Jannah.org as well: http://www.jannah.org/sisters/jameelah.html

umm ibraheem
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2008 02:36 AM »

jazakallah khairan i'll look into it Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: