// Reflections about Muslims reading the Quran
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Our liberation does not come from liberating our desires (as in the west), but our liberation comes from our enslavement to Allah." - Imam Zaid Shakir
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reflections about Muslims reading the Quran  (Read 1879 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: May 04, 2009 10:20 PM »

Reflections...

Came back from attending a 20 hour weekend Islamic course. At the end of the course, the Sheikh from England asked us a very important question:

How many of us have read the Quran in the language you understand?

This class was filled with dedicated Muslims who spent money for food, the course, parking or subway fare and their entire weekend learning about their deen, yet, less than 10% of the class raised their hand!

He said,

"Shame on you, we stand up and beg Allah 17 times a day for guidance (Sura Fatiha - show us the straight path) and yet we don't read the Quran?"

Imagine a begger on the street, begging for change, and then some places a Million dollars beside him, with a note saying that it is for him. What is he going to do...is he going to continue to beg? He got his answer, and we have the Answer....

He got four brother to stand in front of the class to act as witnesses, and asked everyone to raise their hands to those who promise to read the Quran in the language they understand before the next class (1.5 months from now)

So just wanted to ask the question, so you can ask the question to those people you love,

How many of us have read the Quran in the language you understand?

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009 11:41 PM »

ws,

Thanx for that reflection. A number of years ago the same thing dawned on me. How can I call myself Muslim and I keep telling non-Muslims to read the Quran when I haven't read it myself?! So I spent a few months reading the entire Quran in English. It was really beautiful. Maybe I'll do that again this Ramadan inshaAllah.

Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009 11:59 PM »

asak

Being American... its the only way I have read it. However, we are now taking a tafsir class and our Imam goes over each word and its many meanings and points out all the miracles and nuances of each ayah! It took us about 3 months for a 17 ayat Surah!

MashAllah- it is an absolutely breathtaking class...which usually i end up in tears because of all the years wasted by not learning the Arabic...

Sad thing tho- not many sisters come to the class. They ask what are you learning and we say the tafsir of Al-Fatiha and they say- we learned that when we were young.

Must admit- for the first time in my life, i am finally understanding the beauty and miracles of the Qur'an!!!

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009 06:26 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Thought provoking post Br UBAB.

I sometimes think we suffer from a case of over fimiliarity with our Book because it's always *there*, that we actually forget how important it can be to our lives.

I wholeheartedly agree with Sr Kathy; if one goes to a tafsir class (or reads a tafsir) you really start to understand why the Qur'an is such a miracle.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
timbuktu
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009 07:52 AM »

peace be upon you

I have since childhood read the Quran with the translations and the short tafsir together, so much so that I often focused more on the translation than the Arabic, for at that time, I did not understand Arabic, and did not try to associate individual words with their meanings. I just tried to get the basic message in the paragrahs.

I now know that in Urdu as much as 94% of the Quranic words have been incorporated in some form or the other.

A more conservative estimate gives 65% as the number used in ordinary day-to-day Urdu, either the same words or in some derived form.

20% words of the Quran are such that are used very often in the Quran, and when one reads or hears the Quran with the translation, the meanings are easily assimilated.

that leaves 15% to be learnt.

I thought Arabic was difficult.

Learning now through the methods of indicators (alamaat) in different colors, and through TPI (total physical interaction), I have found that Quranic Arabic is not difficult at all, and learning it is immensely enjoyable as well.

And why not, for Allah (swt) says in the Quran (see the jpg image below):

And Sr. Kathy is right. When one goes over it word by word, the different words that could have been used and the sue of that particular word, one gets a glimpse of the miracle that is the Quran.
saleem
Bro

saleem barely matters :(saleem barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009 01:47 PM »

AoA,
Timbuktu, you seem to have copied from some website in your post; could you give a link where I could access the site?

Thanks,
Saleem
timbuktu
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009 06:38 AM »

peace be upon you

sure.

Actually I took this image off a Microsoft Powerpoint file (.ppt ) which I exported to jpg format. There are other ppt files that help one understand the Arabic of the Quran. I attach the .ppt file I took this from.

Here is the link for files you can download and start learning:

http://www.understandquran.com/courses/short-course/english.html

The above is the short course. A better and modified version will be shown on peace tv from this month, I think. Don't forget to see it. I do not know the dates and times yet.

After you have done the short course, I recommend the basic one:

http://www.understandquran.com/courses/basic-course/english.html

You will see that there are other supported languages. You can download the course and work books, individual lessons as pdf, wmv and ppt files. I recommend downloading all. Or you can obtain the book and CDs from the addresses given on the site.

saleem
Bro

saleem barely matters :(saleem barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009 02:16 PM »

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: