// Spanakopita - Greek Spinach Pie
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Work harder on yourself than you do on your job.- Jim Rohn
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spanakopita - Greek Spinach Pie  (Read 6210 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jan 22, 2008 03:07 AM »

I've always wanted to make this and I found this nice video. Anyone have any tips. Where do I buy that phyllo stuff?

http://video.about.com/greekfood/Spanakopita--Greek-Spinach-Pie.htm

Spanakopita - Greek Spinach Pie

Hi, I'm Natasha Levitan for About.com Food. Today I'm going to show you how to make spanakopita. Greek spinach and cheese pie is traditionally made with feta cheese. It is a light filled pastry.
Spanakopita Ingredients
For this recipe, you will need:

* 1 pounds of fresh spinach
    * 3 onions
    * 3 eggs
    * 4 tablespoons of olive oil
    * 1/2 pound of feta cheese
    * 1 bunch of fresh dill
    * 1 pound package of phyllo pastry sheets

Prepare the Spinach and Flavoring

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Wash the spinach well in cold water making sure that you wash out all the dirt. Chop the spinach finely, salt it lightly and place it on a colander in the sink to drain. Chop the dill. Peel the onions and dice them.

Mix the Spinach and Feta Filling

Grate 1/2 pound of feta cheese. Chop your bunch of fresh dill and beat the eggs in a small mixing bowl. In a large mixing bowl, place your drained spinach, dill, onions, feta, eggs, and two tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well until ingredients are well blended.

Form the Spanakopita Pie in Phyllo

Fold the spinach mixture into the phyllo pastry and bake. Take the phyllo pastry out of the packaging and separate the sheets onto two parts. Brush both the bottom and the sides of the baking pan with olive oil and place the first half of the phyllo pastry on the bottom. Brush the layers well with olive oil so they don't stick together during baking.

With a large spoon transfer the spinach mixture on top of your phyllo pastry and spread evenly. Fold the excess layers on top of your mixture. Place the second half of your the pastry on top of the spinach by one layer and coat each as you place them with olive oil.

Bake the Spanakopita

Brush the top of the spinach pie with a beaten egg and score through the top layers unto serving size pieces with a fork. Place the spinach pie into the oven and bake for 1 hour. When you top is golden brown take the spinach pie out of the oven and cool for half an hour before serving it.

Thanks for watching. To learn more, visit food.about.com
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2008 04:57 AM »

heyyy we buy the spanakopita from sams.. it comes in handy when some guests decide to show up out of nowhere:)
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2008 05:47 AM »

we don't have a sam's but we do have a hummooongous walmart . whenever i read the ingredients of prepackaged lasagna things i'm like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa t on earth is in that so i think i'd rather make it fresh inshallah

does anyone know how to make this with ground beef instead... like what would you put in the ground beef and how would you make it???
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2008 01:55 AM »

peace be upon you

does anyone know how to make this with ground beef instead... like what would you put in the ground beef and how would you make it???

u'll need:

*2-3  onions
*1 lb ground beef - use lean
*salt, pepper, all spice
*1 cup frozen peas (optional)

chop onion (fine not coarse)
heat 2 table spoons of canola or sunflower oil in a skillet
add the onions and fry for 2-3 minutes
add the ground beef and make sure you stir with a wooden spoon to break up chunks of meat - work quickly!
add salt, ground black pepper, all spice (if you want can add indian spices)
add peas
keep frying while stirring until all the liquid evaporates - 15 min

cool before stuffing the phylo pastry

wassalam
umm ibraheem
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
umm ibraheem has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2008 05:20 AM »

Jannah there is a Sam's club in Latham Farms (thats the Sam's your talking about?), but I assume you can get phylo at any grocery store, no?
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2008 05:37 AM »

wsalam,

sam's club u have to be a member Sad couldn't find any at the pcs and hannafords either but found them at naaz food! desi store near the mosque so yayy gonna see what i can do with them tomorrow inshallah.
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2008 09:31 PM »

I beleive you can get them at walmart too but i think the box isnt as big
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2008 10:16 PM »

Checked at wal-mart and they didna have it Sad we have a monstrous new wal-mart too two floors and everything! But anyway I'm going to make something tonight and will let you guys know how it went inshallah Smiley
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2008 05:24 PM »

asak
Price Chopper has it. Look in the processed frozen area ( bagel, cakes, pies, near the pizza dough).

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2008 10:37 PM »

Yeah pc stands for price chopper. The three I went to including two supercenters didn't have them. Weird... no greeks in this area?? But it's all good I found it at the local desi store. I tried making samosas but I think it came out too spicy...but hey I guess that's what yogurt is for  Tongue
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2008 09:21 PM »

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-spanakopita

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: