Madinat al-Muslimeen Community -  Ex-wife blamed for Kuwait inferno  Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 2014 11:06 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: It was the best of times... it was the worst of times... it was shaadi season time.

+  Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
|-+  Sis/Bros
| |-+  The Brother's Club Hangout
| | |-+  Ex-wife blamed for Kuwait inferno
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ex-wife blamed for Kuwait inferno  (Read 6710 times)
Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reps: 214

« on: Aug 17, 2009 01:08 PM »

Ex-wife blamed for Kuwait inferno   Huh?
bbc

Funerals have been held for victims whose remains were identifiable
Kuwaiti police investigating a deadly blaze at a wedding tent that killed 43 women and children say the ex-wife of the groom has confessed to starting it.

The tent was consumed by flames in seconds in the worst civilian disaster in Kuwait's modern history.

Fire service officials said the tent had only one exit and did not meet fire safety regulations.

Media reports say the woman told police she had wanted to avenge ill-treatment by her husband before their divorce.

The al-Qabas newspaper said the 23-year-old had told police she used petrol to set fire to the packed and highly inflammable wedding tent on Saturday.

The victims were all women and children because traditionally wedding celebrations are segregated along gender lines.

In pictures: Kuwait wedding fire 
The Kuwait Times newspaper reported that the groom's new bride had escaped injury but that her mother and a sister had died.

Some local newspapers have criticised the government over the blaze, which happened in the town of Jahra, saying its handling revealed failures in disaster response planning.

MPs criticised the fact that a law banning such tents in residential areas because of the safety risks is not properly enforced.

Most of the bodies were burned beyond immediate recognition, police said, and forensic officials were now working to identify the victims.

Ninety guests were injured in the blaze and ensuing stampede, and five burns victims are in a critical condition, medical officials say.

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1248

« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2009 01:21 PM »

salam

How is killing wedding guests exacting revenge on the ex husband?

The best revenge would have been to be happy, and looking forward to a  future filled with possibilities now that she was free of the ex husband.

Instead she's ruined her own life as well as ending so many others, and the ex husband remains unscathed.

Anger is such a futile emotion, worse, blindly directed anger only serves to cause oneself greater harm.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2785

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2009 09:13 PM »

The oddest thing is that this is posted in the Brother's Club Hangout  Shocked Are you guys trying to warn each other about ex-wives?? :p

That woman is so wrong. How evil to kill 43 innocent women and children attending a wedding. La halwla wala qawwata illla billah.

Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2009 01:42 PM »

That is really sick!  It does not justify her anger at her ex's.  

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2009 06:00 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

How is killing wedding guests exacting revenge on the ex husband?

A case of act in haste and repent at leisure perhaps.

Are you guys trying to warn each other about ex-wives?? :p

I'm sure jaihoon had no ulterior motives here but I would actually like to know what drove this woman to this. As is common sometimes with things we read in the press, there has to be something more here that we're missing......

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2009 06:29 AM »

Former wife confesses to Kuwait wedding tent fire

Kuwait: The former wife of the groom has confessed to setting on fire a wedding tent, which left at least 43 people dead on Saturday, according to a report on Tuesday.

The Kuwait Times reported that the 23-year-old woman told police that she wanted to take revenge on her parents-in-law.

She confessed she frequently argued with them and said they wanted to "burn" her heart by making her former husband marry another woman. She also accused her husband of beating her.

She told police she considered many plans to ruin the wedding but finally decided on burning the tent. She said had not intended to kill anyone.

"I only wanted to disturb the party," she said. She explained to offers that on the night of the wedding she used two bottles of petrol on the tent in Jahra before setting it on fire.

The inferno ate up the women's tent within just three minutes and left behind bodies so charred they were unrecognisable, fire chief General Jassem Al Mansouri said.

A total of 43 women and children have died and 90 other people were injured in the blaze, Al Mansouri said.

Health Minister Helal Al Sayer said that 52 people were still in hospital, with at least five people in critical condition.

Thirty-one of the dead were buried on Sunday and Monday. Forensics officials are still trying to establish the identities of the other victims. So far, authorities have been able to identify 13 victims.

http://www.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/kuwait/10341285.html

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2009 06:33 AM »

Kuwaiti seeks police protection for second wife wedding

Manama: A Kuwaiti planning to take a second wife has sought police protection to ensure the safety of his new bride and his guests during the celebration of the wedding.

The request was made in the aftermath of the death of 46 women and children in a fire started by a jealous former wife who wanted to take revenge and spoil wedding festivities.

The Kuwaiti man said that he needed the protection after his first wife had threatened to hurt him and his guests in case he married another woman, according to Alaan news.

There were no reports on whether his request was accepted by the police.

Commenting on the request, several bloggers scorned the man, questioning his motives for marrying a second woman when he could not confront his first wife and joking about his domestic life with both of them.

More serious comments called for a national debate in Kuwait on early marriages and the abilities of young couples to deal with the demands of life.

Both the woman who set the tent ablaze on Saturday evening and her former husband were 23 and were married when they were 18. They had two children.

http://www.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/kuwait/10341284.html 

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2009 06:43 AM »

Kuwait wedding fire death toll rises to 46

Manama: The jealous woman who set a wedding tent ablaze in Kuwait City, killing 46 women and children, said that she did not intend to cause harm to the guests and only wanted to scare them and spoil the celebrations.

"I have not meant to kill anyone. I did indeed set fire to the tent, but I did not, even for a fleeting second, think that the fire would kill so many victims. I never thought that any of the wedding guests would be hurt. All I wanted was to see the fire break up the wedding party and to convey a message to my husband that what he was doing was a crime against my rights while I never failed to honor his rights with me," the Kuwaiti woman was quoted by Al Anba daily as telling her investigators.

"In fact, in the beginning, I thought that merely throwing the petrol on the ground would scare off the guests and would make them flee the place because of the foul smell. However, as nothing happened and they all remained inside, I set the tent ablaze and left the area quickly to take the taxi."

The woman, 23-year-old Nosra, according to her identity card published by the daily, said that she had no accomplices and that she had acted alone in her act of revenge against her former husband and his family for their alleged bad treatment.

"I did warn my husband against taking up a new wife. I had to take revenge against my husband and his sisters. His sisters are the cause of my misery and my conflicts and clashes with my husband. He had a weak personality and his sisters were behind all the problems we had. They even kicked me out of the house and worked on him getting married again to spite me. I had to wreck the wedding in any form. I reflected on a number of options, but when I heard that it was going to take place in a tent, I decided to set it ablaze," she said.

"I decided to take a taxi to the place where the tent was put up. I had only KD 5, and the fare from my place to Al Jahra was KD 5, so I decided to call up a taxi that took me only to the Farwaniya area for only KD1.5. There I filled an empty mineral water bottle with petrol and took a second taxi to Al Jahra where the wedding ceremony was taking place. I reached there at around 8:30pm, and asked the taxi driver to wait for me on another street," Nosra was quoted as saying by Al Qabas daily.

She eventually poured petrol on the tent and after her first attempt to strike a match failed, she succeeded to set it alight.

According to the published confessions, Nosra went afterwards to a police station where she told the officer that she wanted to file a complaint against her ex-husband and sisters for allegedly claiming that she had threatened them. She attributed her move to an attempt to deflect any suspicions that she started the deadly fire.

However, the officer did not take action on the grounds that there were no complaints against her by the husband or his sisters, she said.

Nosra said that she heard about the tragic consequences of the fire from Kuwait Television and that she followed the developments through the media in the morning until she was arrested by the police.   

http://www.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/kuwait/10341308.html

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2009 09:04 AM »

salam

I can understand her motives and reasoning behind it.

I do not condone her actions. But I can understand her.

If as she says she was abused by her ex-husband and his family, and she was married very young, and she had children.
She probably felt her life was over, while her husband carries on and takes another lovely young bride and throws a big party, whilst she cannot even afford a taxi!

She is young, staring at the stark reality of being completely alone for the rest of her life at the age of 23. She has very little money, I wonder if she had any loving support at home, did she still have custody of her two children (I'm inclined to think not, if it's an Arab country), how was she caring for herself, could  she work?
And then ex-husband is clearly enjoying life whilst it feels to her like he has ended hers so very completely.

This reminds me, once a while ago now, ex told me men were like metal pots, whatever they did they were washed clean, I on the other hand am apparently 'used goods'.

I don't condone her actions, I do feel deeply sorry for all the casualties, and she is one of them.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2009 07:40 PM »

ws,

She was just so brazenly evil.

First she says she set fire to the tent 'but didn't realize it would have SO MANY victims'. So she was expecting one or two or what? She never thought anyone would be hurt??! but later says she wanted to set it ABLAZE. Then she lies and says she only dropped the petrol around to scare them. Yes a water bottle of petrol at a huge wedding. Then she tries TWICE to light it up. Then she says she HAD TO TAKE REVENGE and especially against the SISTERS. And that she was dying to wreck the wedding in any way that she could. She had WARNED him not to do it. Then in what she thought was a clever move that ended up being her undoing she went to the police to complain about them for the first time.

Sorry I just have no sympathy for her whatsoever. I wish they would try her on premeditated murder 1 for every single person and child she killed.

I mean she can say she was abused/raped whatever and we can talk about the abuse of women and their problems forever. But her aim was just to destroy. In a lot of ways she reminds me of terrorists. They have no thought to the consequences of their actions. They just want revenge to get back at whoever did injustice to them AND they don't have a single thought for any innocent people around at all, who in their mind shouldn't have been there in the first place. She may have been a victim but the second she lit up a match and dropped it on that petrol and left she turned into a mass murderer.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2009 10:01 AM »

salam

She should absolutely be held to account for the murders she comitted.

I do however find her story plausible, I've worked long enough with twenty somethings to know just how idiotic they can be, I don't think she realised just how quickly the fire would catch if she used petrol as a firelighter.

I believe her when she says she wanted to cause mayhem at the wedding and avenge herself of her in-laws, she sounds plausible to me, her story is garbled and slightly disjointed but it makes sense and she's clearly scared and most likely shocked at the consequences of ehr actions.
She was embittered, and then panicked when the enormity of her actions dawned on her.

What kind of support network is there for women in the middle east who are pretty much deserted by their families after years of abuse and no way to stand on their own two feet?
23 is very young, and I bet she wasn't far educated either, she was absolutely wrong to set fire to a tent filled with people, but I can and do feel despeately sorry for her.

She'll probably face the death penalty in Kuwait anyway for her actions.

Wassalaam

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #11 on: Aug 20, 2009 07:02 PM »

Hmm, I don't think she was motivated by 'what was going to happen to her'. She was already divorced. Seems like the only thing she wanted was revenge any way she could get it. She claimed her husband was weak and influenced by his evil sisters. The stigma of divorce in the middle east, while definitely there, is not like in desi countries (where we are hugely influenced by the hindu concept of one partner for life only and anything after that ur nothing) or like the Muslim communities in the West. She was also quite young she could have married again.
doninapond
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2009 04:41 PM »

salam

I am scared of you. Sad I am so glad you live in America and the Atlantic ocean separates us.
UmmWafi
Sis

Reps: 121

« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2010 03:12 PM »

salam

I am scared of you. Sad I am so glad you live in America and the Atlantic ocean separates us.

hahahahahahahahahaahhahahaha sorry...somehow my twisted sense of humour found this funny Smiley and i wasn't referring to any arguments even...just the fact that sr Doninapond is glad sr Fozia is in AMERICA heh heh
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2010 05:42 PM »

salam

I was rather bemused by that too, had to double check with a passer by where we actually were!!!

But hey, whatevah!!!!!  Wink

Wassalaam

doninapond
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2010 07:29 PM »

If you live in London, I'll try and avoid attending weddings.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Madinat al-Muslimeen Community - Ex-wife blamed for Kuwait inferno

Nostalgia racing theme by © Mustang forum. Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines