Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 24, 2014 08:27 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: What's in a name? That which we call a zahra. By any other name would smell as shariah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hijab organization and other organization issues  (Read 4290 times)
Mina
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Mina has no influence :(

« on: Jan 23, 2008 07:12 AM »

Salamz Sisters,
So how do you all organize your hijabs? What about duppattas? Keep in mind I do not have much furniture such as dresser drawers etc.  I have a lot of salwar kameez from my marriage.  Some I would like to give away so let me know if there are some good charities I can mail them directly to. 

Next question, what about laundry?
How do you keep the laundry from overwhelming you? Laundry is the one thing that always gets piled up and I end up spending so much time folding and putting it away b/c I end up doing a lot of loads at once.

Any and all suggestions are welcome particularly from those supermoms out there who seem to have figured out how to make an awesome dinner, have a spotless house, zero laundry, helped all the kids with homework and  still have energy for Islamic class at night(and that is definately not me Sad )!

JazakAllah Khair

"Girl, Jannah ain't free."
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008 02:19 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
Since all super moms are busy doing super things, I a regular mom will try to answer.

Hijabs: I ussually put them in a drawer folded. But you said that you dont have extra drawer, then maybe you could hang them on those hanger that are used for hanging couple of pants, the one which has more than one bar for hanging? or may be fold them and put them in a rubbermaid box under your bed ?

Laundary: I have tons and tons of laundary. What I ussually do is as soon they are out of dryer I fold them, ussually when kids are either doing their homework or playing , I just dump that on carpet and start folding them. There is no easy way to tackle that monster Smiley

Sorry cant be of much help Smiley
Good luck
tq
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008 05:23 PM »

wsalaam,

I'm no supermom but you know what helps a lot. Not having a lot of stuff! Totally agree with your giving some stuff away. You might have an inner city mosque nearby that could definitely use the donation of new outfits. (or dry cleaned old stuff) Once you pare down your stuff it helps a lot! I noticed that the really organized mom's houses are very non-cluttered. They don't have a lot of stuff, furniture, books or even toys and they don't have a lot of extra clothes even for their kids but what they do have is very good quality.

Then maybe what you can do is organize things a little more. I put my hijabs in a dresser drawer folded in squares organized by colors:  blacks/blues and then pinks/reds then whites/offwhites then underscarvethings. Then the fancier hijabs I have somewhere else. With shalwar kameez I have the everyday/mosque wearing type stuff in the closet w/their dupattas and then the fancier wedding clothes in a trunk in the attic. Also seasonal stuff like sweaters I have in one of those plastic under-the-bed things.

As those organizers on Oprah always say, "Everything should have a place!" There should be a drawer/box/shelf for everything and if there isn't, throw it out/donate/sell it!

For laundry I try to do all of it in one day. No matter how many loads. I also find if I do a load, fold it and put it away. Then it's all done. Otherwise it kinda sits there for a long time, or folded in the basket. I'm a big fan of folding in front of the TV too. Also my policy try to buy stuff that doesn't need ironing!! Wink

mary
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008 05:46 PM »

Keep in mind I do not have much furniture such as dresser drawers etc. 

I have the same problem- not having enough drawer space.  I bought a plastic 3-drawer thing from Target for less than $20 and it had 3 pretty good sized drawers.  In this I am able to keep hijabs (I don't have many yet), slips, socks, undergarments, stockings- that sort of thing.  And it fits nicely in my closet under my hanging clothes.

I like tq's idea of hanging hijabs on a hanger meant for pants- those that they use at the dry cleaners I think would be good- they have the cardboard tube on them so that the hanger won't cause a wrinkle.

Laundry- I do a load almost every day just to keep up.  I find it easier to do a load every night than to wait and do 5 or 6 loads in one day.

salamsmiley

Mary
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2008 11:02 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

A super mom checking in.  First I'm guilty of having too much stuff but still keep my hijabs in order otherwise I'd be lost.  For those that match a particular outfit, I hang it right on the hanger.  The lighter weight ones are in a drawer.  I have some really heavy weight ones that i simply folded, put in a tote bag and hung on a hook in the closest.

Laundry, the never ending story.  I tried the do a load a day idea but sadly it seemed that I was then doing laundry every day with no break in between and also found that if it was only very small load that it was actually a waste of water and electricity.  While admittedly I don't like the idea of having to do 4 or more loads in a day I find that it's actually better in the long run because it's all done and there is at least a few days break before I wonder where all this "new" laundry came from.

How do we super moms do it you ask?  For me it's limited sleep, vitamins and lots of coffee.  I'm actually a night owl so i don't mind staying up late doing laundry and housework; it also helps eliminate the "kids walking on freshly mopped floor" syndrome (now if only I could get the cat to stop walking across it).  Also, I believe in the premise of "many hands make light work" so my kids know they have to help because I'm quick to tell them that "the maid quit and the slave ran away" and it's just us so we have no choice.; same applies to doing yard work. If children aren't taught the lessons of responsibility while young, they will grow up and be helpless expecting that someone else will always do it for them and the reality is no one will.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah

As salaamu alaikum
cat
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
cat has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008 12:42 PM »

Hijab : sort it out by colour / type (or whatever is suitable for you) and peg a number of them onto a hanger (you know the one you hang pants on?) and hang it up in your wardrobe / closet / behind the bedroom door.  bebzi

Laundry : let the husband sort it out while you do the cooking or seeing to the kids homework etc.   Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: