// Double ka mitha aka shahi tukde
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.” Martin Luther King, Jr. quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Double ka mitha aka shahi tukde  (Read 5269 times)
hajra
الَسَـــــــلاَمُ عَلَيــْــكُم وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكـَـاتُه
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
hajra has no influence :(

« on: May 09, 2009 05:03 PM »

Double ka Mitha

This is a very famous  hyderabadi sweet. It got its name as double (for double roti, or bread ) and meetha/ sweet. Its also known as Shahi Tukre.

Ingredients:

White bread slices 5-6
Milk 1/2 litre
Sugar 1/2 cup
Water -1/2cup (for sugar syrup)
Oil(/Ghee) for deep frying
Raisins 2 tbsp
Cashews chopped 2 tbsp
Almonds chopped 2 tbsp
Cardamom Powder 1/4 tsp
Few strands of saffron

Method:

1)Mix sugar and water in a sauce pan. Heat and make sugar syrup out of it.
2)Boil milk with cardamom powder and a few strands of saffron ,till its reduced to a thick rabri consistecy (almost reduced to one third). Keep aside.
3)Now, roast the Dry fruits in ghee and let them cool.
4)Cut the bread slices diagonaly, (edges cut off if desired) and deep fry them in hot oil/ghee, few at a time, to get a nice golden brown color.
5)Soak the triangles in sugar syrup till the bread absorbs the syrup, take out and arrange in a dish.
6)Pour the rabri (condensed milk)  on top of it, and finally garnish with nuts.

7)Serve it chilled or hot.
 bebzi

tip:cut the bread and let them dry few hours before frying, so that it absorbs less oil.
(here in hyderabad we get the dried triangled bread for this mitha)

you can also try it with ice cream when hot.

Narrated AbuHurayrah:
The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) used to say: "O Allah, I seek refuge in Thee from four things: Knowledge which does not profit, a heart which is not submissive, a soul which has an insatiable appetite, and a supplication which is not heard."
timbuktu
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009 05:57 PM »

peace be upon you

A lovely sweet dish, this one, although the ingredients may vary a little. It has been a long time since I have tasted it. I must now make a note of asking someone to make it for me.

I wouldn't call it just a hyderabadi dish. I thought it was a Mughal Royal dish, since my mother made it when we were kids, and we are from Delhi, the seat of the Mughals. Hence the name "Shahi Tukrey". It could well be an Oudh (UP) dish as well, for once we had a cook from that place who made something similar from leftover roti, and called it shahi tukrey.

Not that we appreciated his efforts, even though he claimed to be the Chief cook of the Royal House of Oudh.

There, I just asked my wife if she knows how to make it, and she said: "will try".

"Double ka mitha" does not make sense. It is actually "Double roti ka mitha", but the correct name is simply "Shahi Tukrey".

Highly recommended, but with fresh roti or white bread, not leftovers, or at least not stale bread.
hajra
الَسَـــــــلاَمُ عَلَيــْــكُم وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكـَـاتُه
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
hajra has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009 06:13 PM »

Assalamlaikum wa rehmatullahi wabrakatuhu brother....

Indeed its a mughal sweet dish

The Mughal emperor Aurangzeb captured Hyderabad in 1687 and during this short Mughal rule, Mughal-appointed governors of the city soon gained autonomy. Hyderabadi cuisine is a blend of Mughal and Persian cuisine. Hyderabadi Biryani is an iconic dish of the region. Other native preparations include Qubani ka meetha, Double ka meetha, Phirni (a sweet vermicelli porridge eaten during the festival of Deepawali), Nahari Kulche also known as paya and Haleem (a meat dish traditionally eaten during the holy month of Ramazan), Kaddu Ki Kheer (a sweet porridge made with sweet guard), Sheer Qorma (a sweet liquid dish cooked with vermicelli and milk), Mirchi ka saalan, Bagaare baigan, Khatti dal, Khichdi and Khatta, Til ki chutney, baigan ki chutney, Til ka khatta, Aam ka achaar, Gosht ka achaar, Peosi (a sweet prepared with egg whites and milk), Shahi tukde, Kheema aaloo etc.

this is what i made last might.....the preparation for this one is a bit different...

Narrated AbuHurayrah:
The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) used to say: "O Allah, I seek refuge in Thee from four things: Knowledge which does not profit, a heart which is not submissive, a soul which has an insatiable appetite, and a supplication which is not heard."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: