// Recipe for Chai?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” Martin Luther King, Jr. quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipe for Chai?  (Read 7403 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: May 10, 2009 06:23 PM »

Can someone give me a good recipe for masala chai that isn't too complicated?? or needs too many ingredients??
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009 02:57 PM »

salam

1.  buy lipton's chai tea bags
2. boil water
3. place tea bag in a cup and pour boiled water
4. add milk and suger (optional)

and viola you have just made a  cup of chai!

UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009 03:55 PM »

What's this - Sister Jannah needs to make a cup of Chai?   This is more interesting than the Sarees thread!

That's why we are here to help! 

First of,  there are multiple schools of thought here, but the largest school is the water based tea with some believing that  milk based tea is the secret. If the end user loves milk or a creamer taste, then follow the later, otherwise the earlier is better for the majority of scholars, I mean for the majority of tea drinkers.

Traditional Water-based Masala Tea

Tools:
a.) Try and use a stove pot and utensils that is dedicated for tea making, meaning not used for curry dishes or even for making sweets, so not to contaminate the tea.
b.) Clean wooden spoon (for mixing)
c.) Clean table spoon (for masala ingredients)
d.) Small to medium sized strainer to remove masala ingredients

Masala Ingredients:
3 to 4 Ilaichis (dry green cardamom pods - slightly cracked open) - making sure that the pods were not exposed to air (kept in a sealed jar until ready to use)
3 to 4 whole black cloves - again - in a sealed jar until ready to use
1 stick of fresh cinnamon (no longer than your baby finger)* - crushed into large pieces - in sealed jar or packet

Regular Ingredients:
4 bags of tea - name brand - don't go cheap here - choose the tea brand that the majority of end users like
2 cups (500 ml) of Milk (3.25% or greater)

Prep:
1.) Add the masala ingredients to 2 cups (500 ml) of water in your pot
2.) Bring it to boil and then let it stand by turning down the heat
3.) While it's standing, add tea bags
4.) Bring up heat slightly but not to boil to open up the tea bags

Separately (optional - but it speeds up the process)
5.) Warm up milk in the microwave for about 2 minutes (less for powerful microwaves)

Together:
6.) Carefully add warmed milk to pot while stirring with clean wooden spoon and heat some more
7.) Add up to 4 tea spoons of white granular sugar

8.) Strain into 4 cups stir and Serve hot
End

*Note 1 - Amount of Cinnamon depends on end users - sometime even half a stick can do the trick - this is the only ingredient that can deviate greatly

** Note 2 - Alternative method - add milk after step 2 and bring it to boil before adding the tea bags.

Second School - Milk Based Tea:
In step one above, add the Masala ingredients to 2 cups (500 ml) of milk in your clean pot.
Continue as normal - but this gives a creamer taste, since you are starting off with milk into milk, and not diluting the milk and water.

Third School - Very Creamy Tea
Liquid Carnation milk (not low fat either like 2%) in a can poured in slowly after step 4 while stirring with a clean wooden spoon - since it's powerful stuff - monitor mixture until colour is just right.

thobebro
   UBAB*

*Your recovering chaiwallah brother Grin

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009 04:03 PM »

salam

You really have to mix and match the ingredients that appeal to you really.

I make my own chai, but I can't remember the English names of the spices, for some reason my English friends all completely understand me when I give them Indian food recipes.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009 04:04 PM »

salam

Actually this recipe looks the closest to the Chai I make.

A delicious twist on tea, warm yourself with this easy-to-do drink on a cold day. The recipe serves 2 people.
Prep Time: 0 hours, 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 hours, 10 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1 cup water
    * I cup full-cream milk (you can use low-fat milk but full-cream tastes best)
    * 3 tsps tea-leaves (adjust amount of tea depending on how many people your making it for)
    * 1"piece of dry ginger
    * 2-3 cardamom pods split open
    * 2 peppercorns
    * 2 cloves
    * 1" piece of cinnamon
    * 1 tsp aniseed/ fennel
    * Sugar to taste

Preparation:

* Grind all the spices together coarsely in a coffee grinder and set aside.
    * Mix the milk and water in a deep pan and bring to a boil on a high flame.
    * As the milk/water mixture begins to rise to a boil add the spice mixture and reduce the flame to a simmer.
    * When the milk/water rises to a boil again add the tea leaves, allow to rise and then turn the flame off.
    * Cover the tea and allow it to brew for 2 minutes.
    * Filter through a strainer, add sugar and enjoy!

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
hajra
الَسَـــــــلاَمُ عَلَيــْــكُم وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكـَـاتُه
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
hajra has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009 04:54 PM »

salaam
The simplest one would be to add the spices you like and brew   them in water with tea powder/leaves.
And lastly after brewing few minutes, add milk(according to ur taste) and filter.Add sugar , stir and serve...
jazakALLAH

Narrated AbuHurayrah:
The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) used to say: "O Allah, I seek refuge in Thee from four things: Knowledge which does not profit, a heart which is not submissive, a soul which has an insatiable appetite, and a supplication which is not heard."
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009 07:00 PM »

Wow all those spices and things sound so complicated.. anise.?. peppercorn?? uhh anything with more than 3 ingredients ain't gonna happen... I know what cinnamon is and cardamon not sure about cloves?? Those black things we always accidentally eat from biryani and spit out? Wink

What's the best kind of tea... lipton green tea loose? tetley orange pekoe? ahmad english breakfast? what do desi people use??

K thanks for the help... nothing special just always wanted to learn the auntie method cuz their chai at picnics tastes so good!

tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009 07:21 PM »

Assalamo elikuim

We use PJ tips (we have graduated from Tetley Smiley ) This is the stronges tea in the market availabe - thats what we have heard. You can get it at any Desi grocery store, they come in teabags and also loose.

Yes cloves are those little black things, they are used for tooth ache also Smiley

Elichi/cardamon is little light green in color and when you open it there are couple of seeds in it. People put them in qorma, biryani and paan also .
Most people put cardamon in their tea to give it flavour and nice aroma , I like it but my husband doesnt Sad
I have tried cloves in tea also they are supposed to be good four your bones (I have heard) but they give a little strong taste . If you are looking for just nice aroma then use only cardamon.

I guess the way Aunties make is the same way we FOB make, i.e. we put our chai on dumm i.e.  keep the kettle on stove on simmer for few minutes Smiley
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009 08:50 PM »

Not sure 'bout NY State Desi's, but Tetley Tea and Red Rose rule most cupboards in Toronto, although there is a movement towards "Indian or India Tea" (Red Box with a picture of a lady's face wearing a duppata)

Start small, my sister, with the common ingredients found in all the posts, like cardamom only. Then experiment with different levels of milk and sugar - there's your three ingredients!

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009 10:30 PM »

salam

Come on Sr Jannah, you should have all these ingredients in your pantry already, do you not do any desi cooking at all?

I like western food as much as the next desi chick, but nothing beats a home made curry/biryani etc...

Peppercorn (basically it's what black pepper is before you grind it up to flavour your food, you know like when you're in a restaurant and the waiter comes over with a huge pepper mill and asks if you want pepper over your pizza/pasta dish!)

fennel

You should know exactly what the other ingredients are. Sheesh woman you can run a website, hold down a high powered job, be an active Muslimah in your community, be a fabulous aunty to your niece, do not let a cup of chai get the better of you!

Wassalaam

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009 05:38 AM »

wsalam,

I'm sure we have all that stuff, but it's too annoying with so many ingredients. I think I'll try UBAB's version one day but without all the steps!! I'll just stick it all in one pot and see how it goes Wink

happy chai drinking to all!!  bebzi
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009 06:54 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

We use PJ tips..

Now this is interesting....is it hard to get PG Tips in the States? I thought PG was a worldwide phenomena  bro

Hmmm..you can guess the brand of tea I drink!!  Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009 07:01 AM »

Whats PG tips??

My favorite bagged tea which I usually drink is our supermarket version of green tea which is actually pretty good & lipton green tea decaf. cuz i need decaf for the evenings. I also like vanilla chai bigelow? and ahmad english breakfast tea (i can't remember where i bought this but can't find it anywhere now Sad).

My parents love the Red rose tea... I think we collected hundreds of those little porcelean animals that come in them over the years.

I found a "green tea chai" one i liked i think the brand was STASH although salada has one too not as good. Once I find a tea I like I can't find it again! Ahhhh Teas are just hard to find for some reason here I guess cuz ppl aren't big tea drinkers.

I have to go to england one day and stock up on 1. Real cadbury chocolate 2. Teas!!!

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009 09:35 AM »

salam

That Ahmad tea packet looks very like Yorkshire tea packaging!

I only drink Yorkshire tea, it's lurverly for a good old fashioned western cuppa.

Wassalaam

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009 12:34 PM »

Whats PG tips??

Salam Sis J - Yeah I only found out about PG Tips after coming to Prague, but its apparently the #1 brand in England, or at least that's what their packaging claims (see below). We get it here in Prague and upon my first venture into trying it, it wasn't too bad, bit pricey though.

Ahmed tea  ( I call this MY tea, since that's my surname Cool) is also good . .I like most versions of English breakfast tea - my Amma prefers Ahmed Tea - Darjeeling in the loose leaf form which she adds to Lipton (bag) - at least when she's here visiting me, but back home in the States, she usually gets family friends or family to bring stuff from England, its in a green tin (again, in addition to Lipton bag tea) - I'll get back to you on that - yeah definitely stock up on chocolate and tea if you make it over to England - I've got family there, so if you ever need a delivery - your bhaya has you covered! Wink

desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009 01:47 PM »

salaam,

this is a nice thread. Tea. I love tea. Jannah, to get something good, you have to put in the work..and Nope, I've never heard of this PJ Tips guy...tea I mean.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009 10:06 PM »

salam

Actually when I make the chai I don't bother putting the spices through a grinder, and I use fresh ginger which I grate in and only a small piece of cinnamon.

Sr Lala is right, you need to put in a little effort to get the reward of a perfect cup of chai.

I prefer chai in winter tho, as I make mine milky and the spices are comforting on cold nights!

Otherwise I'm a coffee gal, I could not live without my coffee machine! And english style tea first thing in the morning!

Actually I had to go make cups of chai after reading this thread!

Wassalaam

salma
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
salma has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009 02:50 AM »

Salaam,
I love tea and I prefer to use PG tips. This tea is found in desi stores and also world market ( if you have that store in your city). I love to make a hyderabadi chai but unfortunately mornings are chaotic in our house, so I found this "easy method".....buy an electric kettle ( i found one at Target), boil the water, put PG ( 1bag..pretty strong stuff) put one heapfull of Nido ( pwder available at Walmart or desi store) and 1tsp sugar...let it sit for a min or two...voila you have yourself a nice cup of tea!
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2010 12:03 AM »

ws,

Ok so my sister in law taught me the easiest way in the world to make desi tea so I thought I'd share.  I'll call it the 1-2-3-4 method. Wink So basically put

1 cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, 3 teaspoons sugar, 4 cardamon pods, a teabag, in a small saucepan with milk and water. Bring to boil. Pour in cup. Enjoy Smiley 
salma
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
salma has no influence :(

« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2010 03:29 AM »

3 teaspoonul sugar?Huh?Huh? Huh?
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2010 03:42 AM »

It makes usually 2 1/2 cups of tea... I think that's enough sugar for that?
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2011 07:57 PM »

Salams,

Learned how to make some really good chai this weekend, so thought I'd post if anyone wants to try it!!

For this you need a mortar/pestle thingey... you know where you grind stuff in a little cup:

Ok so this is Chai for like 3 people:

• Put about 2 mugs of milk and 2 mugs of water (should be a half and half ratio of water and milk) in a pan and let boil.
  • In the meantime in that mortar bowl you're going to grind like two slices of fresh ginger into a paste and then add maybe 1/4 slice of a cinnamon stick and maybe 1 cardamon pod. Grind, grind, grind until it's a nice paste.
  • Now when the water is boiled add the paste stuff in there along with your black tea bags, you do 1 bag per person and 1 for the pot. So for 3 ppl, it'll be 4 tea bags in there
  • You can add sugar here at this point. Maybe 1-2 teaspoons per person. Let everything boil again on low till it gets all frothy like. Then turn off and using a strainer pour into cups and voila!!
  • Enjoy your real authentic Desi Chai!!

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2011 04:05 AM »

Yet another recipe... haven't made chai in ages maybe it's time chai

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: