Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Knowledge raises the low, but ignorance brings down the mighty. -Ali (RA)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I Help ¿‏  (Read 1526 times)
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 23
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Ahla Haya

« on: May 13, 2009 10:24 PM »

As-Salaamu` alaykum,
As I was coming back from my vacation, I met a mother and her son at the airport....they said they were stranded here in Hawaii and would like someone to help them with their tickets back home to New Mexico, so I am kind of wondering if I should actually help them or not? And if they are truly sincere.

Anyways, I promised them that I'd call and inform them whether or not I'll be able to help.

So what do you all think?

"...Surely my prayer and my sacrifice, my life and my death are for Allah, the Lord of the Worlds..." (Qur'an, 6:162)
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009 12:46 AM »

wow, hard call.
Can you find an agency that can varify their story and you can help through the agency?
Airline tickets are not like helping out with food, rent or utilities.
Can they be running from something?
Is this sincere?
If you chose to help, I would advice you not give them cash.
I'd go to the airlines and ask if you could pay and make it non refundable and non transferable to
anyone other than you.
I'd also ask to see their ID's and copy the information down.

If they are really stranged seems to be the Red Cross or other type agency would help them.
Pray about it and seek advice from a local agency.
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009 03:49 AM »

asak
In the world of scams, this is what i would do:
With them, call the police/ airport security. When they come- have them explain the situation to them. Then ask the police if they think it is a scam and you want to offer to help them.
LOL... if it is a scam...they would be long gone before the police arrived.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009 04:14 AM »

I'd be very skeptical. This is a common scam. Especially at Hajj sad to say. People come to you speaking perfect english/your language. And say that someone stole their money/something happened and now they can't get to Makkah/Madinah/Arafat/Home and they ask you for money. I suggest you refer them to some organization as well. Like a homeless shelter or something like that. You can donate some money to the organization for them.

syid
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
syid has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009 09:35 AM »

As Salaamu Alaikum,
 I believe you should help if that was your first feelings when asked, as long as it is in your ability. But I feel  you should do like Blessedgrandma said and make the tickets only refundable to you. Alot of times we miss our opportunities to receive blessing for helping strangers  because we let the whisperings of satan get to us, with things like don't help your being conned or scammed. but if that is true you still get your blessing. I recall a hadith that tells the story of a man going out to give charity and he gave it three times to the wrong person ( a thief, adulteress, a wealthy man) and  someone told him that his giving them charity may stop them from doing the wrong they were doing.(for the exact wording of the hadith see bukhari book #24 hadith #502).therefore don't let satan stop you. and if you are still doubtful then give the price of the ticket to a family remember that you know can benefit from it that way you may still receive your blessings. (Allah knows best) 

LIVE YOUR LIFE FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH:
IF IT'S NOT FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH IS IT EVEN WORTH DOING?
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009 09:35 PM »

Such wise advice br. SYID
Sometimes due to scams we never know who to help.
Much prayer and gut feelings need to be put into it.
I am unsure if there is something similar in the Quran, but in the Bible
there is something about, beware, one never knows if they may be entertaining angels.
Is the begger a begger or an angel who is testing us?
We are all here to help one another and for Allah's sake not ours, although
the blessings in the next life will be cool, we need to give in the right heart.
I always figure my intention and heart will be judged even if the intent and heart of the reciever isn't
always honorable. Their intent and heart is between Allah and them as our intent and heart is
between ourselves and Allah.
When asked for money for food I often will buy the food or give a grocery store gift card.
If I feel something in my heart that I should not help, I will try when I am able to help another
in kind of like exchange of the other.
May Allah give us all the wisdom and desire to please him and help one another on this planet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: