Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Civility: The Prophet said: 'The Muslim does not slander, curse, speak obscenely, or speak rudely.' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arrests in New York 'attack plot'  (Read 1324 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: May 21, 2009 12:37 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum

Is this another FBI sting operation Huh?

Four men were arrested late on Wednesday over alleged plots to attack targets in and near New York.

The four planned to blow up synagogues and use Stinger missiles to bring down military planes, US prosecutors said.

The men were seized after allegedly planting what they thought were bombs near two synagogues in the Bronx area.

They earlier agreed to buy explosives from FBI agents posing as Islamic militants. New York has been on alert for a new terror attack since 9/11.

The four are charged with conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction within the US and conspiracy to acquire and use anti-aircraft missiles, officials said.

The charges carry jail terms of between 25 years and life imprisonment.

The four, all Muslims, are to appear in a federal court later.

They were named as James Cromitie (also known as Abdul Rahman), David Williams (aka Daoud and DL), Onta Williams (aka Hamza) and Laguerre Payen (aka Amin and Almondo)

A senior FBI official in New York said three were US citizens and one was from Haiti.

BBC defence and security correspondent Rob Watson says the case appears to be a classic sting operation against suspected home-grown militants rather than a plot with any links to known international terrorism.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the alleged plot showed "homeland security threats against New York City [were] sadly all too real".

'Sought weapons'

The arrests were the result of a year-long investigation, officials said.

"The defendants wanted to engage in terrorist attacks," said Lev Dassin, acting US attorney for the Southern District of New York.

"They selected targets and sought the weapons necessary to carry out their plans."

According to prosecutors, the men planned to detonate cars packed with C-4 plastic explosives outside the Riverdale Temple and the Riverdale Jewish Center in the Bronx district of the city.

They also intended to target military planes at the New York Air National Guard base at Stewart Airport, 60 miles (85 km) north of New York City.

In their efforts to obtain weapons for the attack, the men dealt with an informant from the FBI, who provided the group "with an inactive missile and inert explosives."

"They had bags that were set up that they believed to be bombs, carrying about 30 pounds of explosives which they believed to be explosives," FBI official Joseph Demarest told reporters.

'Afghan war anger'

According to prosecutors, Mr Cromitie - whose parents are from Afghanistan - told an FBI informant in June 2008 that he was angry over the US-led war in Afghanistan.

He "expressed an interest in 'doing something to America"'.

From October 2008, the informant began meeting him regularly along with the four others at a house in which the FBI had concealed video and audio equipment.

The group allegedly "expressed desire" to attack targets in New York and Mr Cromitie "asked the informant to supply surface-to-air guided missiles and explosives", prosecutors say.

In April 2009, the group agreed on the synagogues they intended to attack and proceeded to conduct surveillance, including taking photographs of the warplanes at the military base, prosecutors say.

Mr Cromitie allegedly pointed out Jews in the street, saying "if he had a gun, he would shoot each one in the head", according to the district attorney's statement.

According to the statement, he told the informant that attacking the Jewish community centre would be a "piece of cake".

He also said he would be interested in joining Jaish-e-Mohammed - a Pakistan-based group considered a terrorist organisation by Washington - "to do jihad".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8060684.stm

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009 04:16 PM »

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
 salaam
It's individuals like these, whether just Muslim in name or practicing, that are putting a bad eample out there for youngsters and Islam as a whole. Maybe most of you won't agree with me (that's ok), but I see these guys as idiots - I mean - I do sympathize with how they feel about what is happening in Afghanistan and Pakistan and elsewhere, as we all do. Yet, this is not the way to go about it - you are just lowering yourselves to the level of, in this case, the drone attacks or raids in which innocent people end up dying. If "we" start or continue killing people just out of anger, depression at what is happening to our fellow Brothers and Sisters in Islam, we are not gong to get anywhere and our difficulties will only increase, especially in the States.
        One reason I have a strong opinion in such cases is because this happened very close to home for me in another case some years ago. Remember when John Ashcroft was still Attorney Gen. under Bush?? Do you remember when he arrested 7 people (infamously called the "Portland 7" locally), including one woman, again, mostly converts? Thye had tried to cross into Afghanistan via China, but were denied, then came back to the States - they were arrested and they are all in jail for at least 18 years (all except one decided to cooperated with the govt - and sadly, this one guy, I had met while attending the mosque I frequented and he even looked on as me and several other Brothers washed my father's body in preparation for his burial (2001).
         Even if we, members of the Ummah are aware that such individuals are outliers and not sensible members of our community (at least thats how I feel), those on the outside who may have a decent opinion of us or those who are just looking for more reasons to continue their hate speech (in ignorance) that will easily work on others and subsequently, continue the spiral downward of our reputation since 9/11 that many of us Muslim Americans and various organizations have tried so hard to recover and improve in the meantime and I don't need to mention how many new members of the Ummah we have gained through these efforts.
       Lastly, this is more for those who may come upon this post who are not Muslim, but this quote was in the article on my homepage that I just came across before logging on to Madina, in hopes of either posting the article or seeing it already here. The quote:
Payen occasionally attended a Newburgh mosque. His statements on Islam often had to be corrected, according to Assistant Imam Hamin Rashada

Also, from CAIR:
"We repeat the American Muslim community's repudiation of bias-motivated crimes and of anyone who would falsely claim religious justification for violent actions," the statement said.

Lastly, on a personal note, its a bit freaky that they are due in court in White Plains - the city in which I was born.

desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009 05:04 PM »

Why does the 99.99% of Muslims (the silent majority) stay silent during times like these? Why are we letting the 0.01% or less hijack our religion? Why are they being allowed to represent the 100% in the media? Why don't we stand up as American, Canadian, British, or Indian Muslims and tell the world that this is not the teaching of our religion?

If we don't stop this now, the 0.01% voice will become the voice of the 99.99% to the rest of the world, and the justification to supress the majority...

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009 05:26 PM »

The synogogue is a block and a half from my building...thats FREAKY! I woke up to this mess this am....

Go figure. This is the same synogogue that had a indonesian school girl pray there so she can complete her prayers during the school day...as her public school that's nearby didnt have  space for her. They offered up space w/o a problemo.

CRaziness I tell you. Very!
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009 05:54 PM »

Agree with you all Sad I don't know if I believe the FBI though because I know how ridiculous their "evidence" was in a case here which was blown up to the skies with John Ashcroft appearing on live TV saying he had caught a "sleeper cell" in upstate NY. Uh huh. It was just ridiculous and plainly a witch trial from the beginning for the sole purpose of putting two people in jail. So who knows what really happened.

But I do know that there are people who really hate America with depth because of their injustice towards the rest of the world, their seeming arrogance in playing the world's "protector" while killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people, their role as "civilized westerner" while torturing prisoners and refusing to sign environmental accords and so on. Still, we know Islam teaches us the right way to deal with injustice, and it's NOT by killing innocent people or blowing up houses of worship!!! Houses of worship are sacrosanct in Islam and not even in full legitimate war is anyone allowed to touch them.

Just a shame that this happened Sad 
The Humble Muslim
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
The Humble Muslim has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009 07:21 PM »

Salam

Sting?  How about entrapment?  It's VERY easy to 'talk' an angry young man into doing something, and we KNOW that this is a tactic that has been used countless times since 9/11.
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009 02:38 PM »

In the Name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate
For Immediate Release
5/21/09
Imam:  NYC Plot Against Islam

Dear Sirs:

Regarding the arrests of 4 men in New York City Wednesday night, I say the following:

“Islam teaches us to keep patient for the afterlife, and not harm innocent civilians.  The plot to attack synagogues in New York City, if proven, is absolutely against Islam.  Islam forbids harming worshippers, monks, civilians, or violating houses of worship whether they belong to Jews, Christians, Buddhists, or those of any other religion, even in times of war.  Anyone who would participate in such a plot surely knows very little, if anything, about Islam.

The Quran says, “This is the home of the afterlife, which We give to those who do not seek out greatness on the earth nor to spread mischief, and the end is for the righteous.”

“Muslims believe in learning and knowledge, and not following ignorance.  The devil plays with an ignorant person like a child plays with a toy.  Good character is the most valuable quality of a Muslim.

“People who come to Islam must learn the religion thoroughly through knowledgeable and respected scholars, and not follow ignorant thoughts or ideas.  They must not remain ignorant, rather they should learn.

“Ignorant people who may have been newly released from prison should be taught and educated about keeping patient for the afterlife, and Islam’s respect for the freedom of belief of those who follow other religions.  They should not be left to follow the ignorant and recidivate to a life of crime.

“The Newburg Mosque itself has been the victim of hate crimes in the past, so it goes without saying that this alleged plot violates the Islamic principle of respect for other religions.  Moses is one of the most sacred and beloved prophets to Muslims, and the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him eagerly preached to the Jewish community around him, and even married a Jewish woman named Jawariah.

“The grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, Abdul Aziz Aal Ashaikh, issued a fatwa in May of 2001 declaring that those who commit suicide bombing and those who die bombing innocent people are not martyrs, rather they are in the hell-fire.    These actions are against Islam and against the teachings of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him.”

"Yet I should add that I am concerned about the use of government informants in sting operations against 'Muslims' since these operations often add to anti-Muslim hysteria and create a false sense of 'danger' posed by the Muslim community.

"It also concerns me that apparently ignorant and uneducated convicted criminals were involved in this sting operation, who know so little about Islam that many of them apparently still use drugs."

Sincerely,

Shaykh Abdurahman

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: