Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A rakah a rakah! My kingdom for a rakah!'

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OPUS Cartoon (Why Were These Comics Dropped?)  (Read 982 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: May 22, 2009 05:12 PM »

OPUS Cartoon

Why Were These Comics Dropped?

By Deborah Howell
Sunday, September 16, 2007; B06

Readers were confused and angry that "Opus" comic strips with a Muslim theme did not appear in the Aug. 26 and Sept. 2 Sunday print editions. The strips, created by Berkeley Breathed, were distributed by the Washington Post Writers Group and published on washingtonpost.com.

Most of the controversy involved the Aug. 26 strip, which showed regular character and spiritual seeker Lola Granola in her version of a burqa, declaring that she has become a "radical Islamist. Hot new fad on the planet." Her boyfriend, the piggish super-patriot Steve Dallas, is horrified. She tells him he "won't be getting a girlfriend obsessed with Western crud" or one "who resists a man's rightful place." Steve, with a leer and then a concerned look, asks: "Anything else I won't be getting?" Lola answers: "God willing."

Read the rest on ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/14/AR2007091401935.html?sub=new

(First Cartoon Shown Below)

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009 05:19 PM »

Second Cartoon

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009 08:13 PM »

I've noticed a number of Opus cartoons being deragatory towards Muslims. Not to mention Dilbert's cartoonist who turned out to be a complete islamophobe who said completely rabid things about getting rid of Muslims in the world on his blog. Sad really... comics should be funny, not offensive. The second one if modified a little could have been funny.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: