Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Ever wonder about those people who spend $2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward. - George Carlin
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is hotter? (Detroit)  (Read 632 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: May 25, 2009 07:42 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/x-8519-Detroit-Muslim-Examiner

Article looks better at the source...

thobebro
   UBAB

Who is hotter?
May 25, 11:22 AM

A few days ago the temperature was up into the 80's in Detroit.  Inevitably as the temperatures increase, so do the questions asked by random passersby -- at least if you are hijaab-ed Muslim girl.

"Aren't you hot in that?!?" a woman my mother's age asks me incredulously.

Yes, ma'am. Yes I am, because last I checked it was 93 degrees outside and everyone was hot.  We might then get into a discussion about how I must be hotter because not only is my head covered but I'm also wearing long sleeves.  I'd probably counter with something like, 'Since my skin is covered it doesn't get burned by the sun and it's really the best idea in this type of weather to wear breezy, loose fitting, fabrics instead of short and tight ones.  I'd also stay away from dark colors and denim, like that of your shorts.  See, the sun beams down on your exposed arms and legs directly whereas my long, flowy clothing serves as a barrier to the rays in addition to capturing the light breezes in the air that may pass you by.'

Covered Muslim Girl- 1

Exposed Random Lady- 0

I don't always have the time or patience to politely explain why I'm not about to die of heat stroke to random strangers.  Some people ask because they really are concerned about my well being, most people seem to be curious about how I might respond and yet others will put forth the question as a nasty accusation.  Everything in their manner asserts that I must be oppressed or stupid or extreme if I wear hijab.

Listen, I'm just like you and everybody else.  I try to live my life honestly and I have beliefs for which I'll stand.  So yes, it is hot.  'But I'd just as soon go without my hijaab as you would without your pants'.

A youtube video of an insightful song by Sami Yusuf, one of the leading singers of Islamic songs or nasheeds in America.  Pay attention to the lyrics and of the women you see in the images.

My Choice. My right.

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: