Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being Muslim in America brochure...by the state dept!!  (Read 7132 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: May 27, 2009 02:40 AM »

Maan talk about professional and nice. Gov't propoganda or good dawah? Either way it's a really nice brochure check it out: http://www.america.gov/media/pdf/books/being-muslim-in-america.pdf

Also attached below:
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009 06:04 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

It certainly looks professionally done.

Who and where does one get to receive a copy of one of these?

Is the State Dept targetting Muslims or Non Muslims?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009 01:11 PM »

First impressions- quiet nice... no screaming bearded shaiks!

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009 04:58 PM »

Nice brochure. I was trying to figure out who the target audience is. We are all sending it to each other, so for sure Muslims are getting it. hehe
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009 05:20 PM »

Nice work - the stats page seems off  (page 50) It lists NY State of having 131 mosques and California with 198 - seems kinda off low when the City of Toronto has 125 mosques

Theres a major age difference between American and Canadian Muslims.
According to the age distribution, half of Muslims in America is between the ages of 30-49.

The comparable stat from Canada has the half the Canadian Muslims under the age of 28 vs 37.3 for all other religions.

It's a great template to build on!

Thanks Jannah for posting it in the Community Toolbox

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009 12:30 AM »

asak
i shared this brochure with a friend. here is what she had to say. She makes a lot of good points:

As-salaamu alaykum Kathy
insha'Allah you are well.  Kathy, I have to say this because we are commanded to enjoin the good. This booklet is awful in so, so  many ways.  It is really distressing.  I cry for the Ummah of Muhammad(sallAllahu alayhe wa sallam) the ones that have to be associated with these Muslims. Ethnicity, nakedness, (clothed but naked) . Bunny ears, interfaith(when the hearts of the non-believer is filled with what we totally as Muslims are suppose to abhor. What about Tawheed? Shirk? As defined by Qur'an and Sunnah. Love of Jesus(as)! Hatred of our Allah(subhana wa ta'ala, hatred for our beloved Prophet sallAllahu alayhe wa sallam.What do we need from any of these people? Please tell me? What happens when soldier girl is called upon to kill another Muslim? The artist that paints faces!!! Janazaah with an american flag?( Obviously they don't know or don't care what that is representational of).  I'm going to quit here. When I think of the suffering of Muslims in the generation of Prophet sallAllahu alayhe wa sallam and the suffering of Muslims even now.... Allah subhana wa ta ala will sort us all out, and that we know for sure. Wa alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009 04:42 AM »

Wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullah,

When I took a look at it, I knew that some muslims would not be agreeable with the brochure. And I just looked at the pictures without reading much of the brochure. So, I hv no comments as yet of the contents.

There are some things that some of us would disagree with. Some things that some of us would not do. To me, the brochure has shown how diverse Muslims are, and it is important for the bigger community to understand that - that we are human, just like them. We (meaning American Muslims, not me, Barr), belong to the greater American community just like them. That would hv a tremendous impact on how fellow Americans treat Muslims, in terms of our ideas, lifestyles, contributions as well as criticisms.

To me, it's not a brochure about Islam, it is a brochure about Muslims - American Muslims. And let's be honest to ourselves. We are not perfect. Different people would have different levels of understanding and practise of Islam. I just thank Allah that they didn't highlight any alternative-lifestyled Muslims.

Allahua'lam
Wassalamu'alaikum
syid
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
syid has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009 01:39 PM »

As Salaamu Alaikum
I have not read the brochure unfortuately, I was unable to get pass the first two pages. But, I would like to comment on the comments that was made about the brochure. Anytime anything is written on muslims it is about Islam. For us as muslims we have to be careful in the way we give them credibility or merit. When we read articles that talk about Islam (muslims,faith,beliefs), before we give our personal opinions on whether they are good (nice) or not we as muslims must consider what they are portraying. Anything that is not in accordance with what was commanded should be pointed out when you give your opinion. Saying an article is good without pointing out where the scholars differ in what the article is showing or saying may lead a brother/sister who doesn't have the level of knowledge you have to believe that those things are permissible. Even, if we make the choice to do the things we do or say , we must be careful not to be the cause of someone else being misled. so if you do say an article is good or nice please be sure everything is in accordance with the commandments of Allah or point out where they differ (Allah knows best). May Allah forgive us and guide us all.

LIVE YOUR LIFE FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH:
IF IT'S NOT FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH IS IT EVEN WORTH DOING?
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009 01:51 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

To me, it's not a brochure about Islam, it is a brochure about Muslims - American Muslims

I think people should realise the difference highlighted above because unfortunately they [Islam and Muslims] are not always necessarily synonymous for the reasons Sr Barr mentioned.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 23
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2009 09:47 PM »

Being Muslim in America

"Do not treat people with contempt, nor walk insolently on the earth. Allah does not love the arrogant or the self-conceited boaster. Be modest in your bearing and subdue your voice, for the most unpleasant of voices is the braying of the ass." [The Holy Qur'an, Surah Luqman - 31:18-19]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2009 05:27 AM »

ws,

it's a link, sorry u can't see that. when u click on it, it will open the pdf. this was posted before so i'll just merge the two threads.

jazaks
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2010 04:39 PM »

Asalaam Alaikum,

This was absolutely beautiful!!!
 loveshower
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: