Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Alas, poor imam.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How was the ICNA Convention  (Read 1140 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: May 26, 2009 08:25 PM »

For those who went to the ICNA Convention, how was it?

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009 02:22 AM »

wsalaam,

I went!! It seemed smaller than last year. Maybe the recession is affecting people (it is very expensive when u add it all up) or the change of date. ICNA used to always be July 4th weekend in Hartford. The weather was always nicer, lots more going on and there was fireworks of course! Memorial day seems tame in comparison. Some of the speakers listed couldn't come like Imam Suhaib had exams this time of year even though he was all over the program. He told me they were planning to do a video hookup but it didn't work out. The bazaar seemed smaller this year and for some reason the vendors meaner?? Dunno why. Seemed like old stock too, like people weren't buying at their stores so they were hoping to sell the old stuff at ICNA. I didn't see anything too new or interesting and most everything was expensive. Vendors refused to bargain and sold everything at retail. Admired the wooden calligraphy things and some art prints, bought some hijab pins, a few scarves, some bracelets, found a nice hajj biography called 'a princess's hajj', kid's books for my niece and nephew. That's about it.

ICNA is usually more family oriented and there were lots of babies there like usual and no lobby scene. But I don't know if it was the program or lack of people/good vending, but I hope ISNA is better. I'm planning on going to ISNA this year for July 4th so I hope that's better inshaallah!!

ps here's some pictures from someone: http://picasaweb.google.com/nihalk1/ICNA2009#
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009 01:15 PM »

Seriously...I gave a bro money to buy books for the library... he came back with nothing! He said it was all old stuff and no new books making their debuts! Usually I don't have enough money to buy all the new stuff.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009 02:24 PM »

It seems consistent that vendors would have old products: most stores are only now receiving their convention / summer / wedding season inventory.

Usually the money made in Ramadaan is used to carry over the lean months: January to April. So there would be no spare money to buy new inventory until May at the earliest.

I don't know if ICNA did a good job in reminding or promoting to the vendor a date change. Since most products are imported into North America from overseas, there may be a 3-8 week lag time between when the order was made and when it arrives at the store.

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: