Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single muslim man is in want of a muslim wife.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Shoes?  (Read 3958 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: May 28, 2009 02:17 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Don't ask me why, but how many of you have lost a pair of shoes when going to the Masjid especially when it's been busy such us Jum'ah or Eid?

How did you deal with it if you did?

Do you have any strategies or tips to prevent any future loss?

All answers welcome  bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009 03:16 PM »

Risk Mitigation Strageties of the age old problem:  "Dude, where's my shoes?"

thobebro
   UBAB

Self - Risk Mitigation Techniques:
1.) Buy Unique Shoes
2.) Buy Cheap shoes (like shower sandles)
3.) With Whiteout, place the letters L and R inside the shoes
4.) Wear an old pair of shoes
5.) Take the shoes with you
6.) Buy Velcro Shoes
7.) Use a shoe lace ribbon (like suitcase)
8.) Use a different colour shoe lace
9.) Keep your shoes on  (POPE Benedict XVI did it this month in Amman, Jordan)
10.) When removing your shoes, do not shove aside the shoes of others nor remove their shoes from a place in order to put your shoes there. The place occupied by the shoes of a person is the Haqq (right) of that person.
11.) Place shoes on rack
12.) Always put your shoes in the same location
13.) GPS?  RFID? Grin

Organized - Risk Mitigation Techniques:
1.) Larger mosques in Toronto provide a plastic bag for each participant, and they carry their shoe with them to prayer (Good Friday Jummah and Eids Salaat)
2.) Other mosques have labelled shoe shelves so that you can remember where you place your shoes (like airport or shopping parking lot)
3.) Shoes that go missing are the ones that are on Mosques floor (rather than shelves) so they remove shoes from the floor and into a lost and found section
4.) Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca uses Shoe rugs (see picture) in between rows as they have 25000 worshippers
5.) The RIS Conference in Toronto places prayer rugs in groups of 3 rows, the 4 row is blank, so every fourth row you place your shoe.
6.) Shoe Rack Design, some masjid are now using the white Wire racks instead of wooden shelves, so that it's easier to see all the shoe from a distance (also it allows the snow to melt off:) ) - and hey it looks nice!
7.) Have someone do shoe monitor ...

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009 03:19 PM »

salam

I lost lots at the Masjid Al-Harram in Madina, I reckon that was me being completely ditzy (there must be a good half dozen unclaimed flipflops waiting forlornly for me there).

My solution, trying to put my shoes in a place I could easily recall, don't wear expensive shoes, and ermmm trust in Allah to get you back home fully shod as you arrived from a place of worship.

But then I'm a girl what do I know!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009 03:32 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
WOW Br.UBAB Smiley

When we went for haj I had my shoes in a plastic bag then in my purse, because most of the times we were entering from door and going out from another .
On Eid, our masjid gives us plastic bags to carry our shoes with us.
Never have lost any shoes myself from masjid( should I feel offended Smiley  that nobody took fancy of my shoes Smiley even by mistake they didint take them).

My daughter on the other hand, has left couple of times her shoes and have always gotten them back after couple of days Smiley

Wasalam
tq
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009 03:35 PM »

salam

I think mosques should invest in a shoe check service.  You hand in your shoes and get a receipt. Or maybe a coin-operated shoe locker.  People can double up if they want to save.

For me, since I am tall, I put my shoes on the highest shelf I can reach - most women can't reach that high so those racks are empty. No one touches my shoes Grin

Speaking of things mosques should do, they should have parking garages.  The parking is never enough!!

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009 04:15 PM »

um aboodi, wa-alaikum-as-salam,

You have hit two major nerves of issues that plague our community and some of the factors preventing us from moving forward on the main issues.

Dude, where's my Shoes?
I've actually thought of one step further over the shoe locker, but to have family lockers. People can buy their own locker for their family, which could hold shoes and coats for say 4-5 people or kids drop off their bags while attending after school arabic classes, for a donation of larger amount to the masjid ($x0 000?).

I like the coin operated shoe locker - similar to a bus or train station - nice.

Dude, where's my Car?
With respect to Parking Garages, it's too expensive. When I was working as an engineer in a large pharmaceutical company here, we could not justify the cost of building a parking garage.

In fact, it was cheaper to buy 10 buildings near the main manufacturing building, demolish them, remove the contaminanted soil, and build 5 parking lots in it's space. This includes the legal costs of evicting of over 65 small and medium businesses once we purchased the buildings.

The cheapest cost to build a parking space is $8000 US per spot, but usually it comes in the region of $30000 when considering all the cost including land purchase and safety features now required in parking lots (fire protection, pedways, elevators for handicap, etc) so if you have a 100 car parking garage/structure, it will cost about $3 000 000. Or you can buy 2 acre of land for say $1 000 000 and have a 200 car parking.

One of the largest mosques in Toronto, the IMO (International Muslim Organization) rents the parking lot from Sears Outlet, which adds 450 + parking space to their existing 250. These 700+ parking spaces is still not enough!
They charge $3/car for the 450 spaces, which has resulted in the following:

1.) people now car pool if they want to go to IMO
2.) people go to other mosques that dont charge for parking
3.) people are extremely happy (like me) or angry (more than a few) when they meet the mosque volunteer and they verbally abuse, spit at  or withhold money for parking
4.) Finally, the mosque could collect a maximum of $73000 from this lot/year (Full lot for 52 jummahs and 2 Eids) - which is equal to building 2.5 spots / year for parking in a parking garage.

Can you see being a mosque board meeting and trying to justify spending $millions on a parking garage?

I am working on a local mosque to try and acquire the land across the street to buy it for parking - they have not even finished the masjid, so it's been a hard case trying to convince them to buy the land!

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009 05:01 PM »

the most recent time was at masjid al nabawi.

i was 6 months pregnant... and i literally hopped and hobbled in the scorching heat (the black tiles get hhhhoootttt) to where my husband was waiting with replacement chappals.  thankfully i had my cellphone with me - even though they DO NOT allow cellphones in the women's side at the masjid ... but the guard (guardess? guardette?) rummaged through my bag and couldn't find it.

i don't know about the coin or shoe check thing... it would take a looooot of time.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009 11:20 PM »

lol lots of great ideas ma'shallah. i was absolutely floored (no pun intended) when i saw all the shoes they sweep up with bull dozers at the haram!! where do they all go??!!  alhamdulillah i haven't lost my shoes but did have a case of mistaken shoe identity one taraweeh but got mine back the next day hehe

ws
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009 03:45 AM »

Lol... the days I had nice leather shoes...they would disappear   Huh? - so I used to carry a shoebag or put my shoes in my large purse.

Today...No one takes my Dr. Scholls from Walmart....
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009 11:50 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Risk Mitigation Strageties of the age old problem:  "Dude, where's my shoes?"

lol

I love it, maybe we should be putting these strategies in the Community Toolbox  bro

Today...No one takes my Dr. Scholls from Walmart....

You know I was using this strategy for a while but then one day people started to mistake my slippers for wudhu slippers (a lot masjids over here have wudhu facilities in a building outside of the main building) and I ended up having to go home in wudhu slippers myself!!

Alhamdulillah they always make their way back though.  bro

i was absolutely floored (no pun intended) when i saw all the shoes they sweep up with bull dozers at the haram!! where do they all go??!!

How about all those shoes at the bottom of the jamarat where all the pebbles are, how did they get there?  Wink

I have to say I now use the shoe strategy passed on to me by my father which involves setting down your shoes on opposite sides when leaving them in racks. For example, placing the left shoe on the right hand side and the right show on the left.

Sometimes shoes can look the same and people may inadvertently pick up yours, but this is a good safeguard against that because who on earth puts their shoes down the wrong way round?  bro

Sr um aboodi – Don’t even get me started on parking and double parking at the masjid and the fact that those who block the exits when parking are always the last ones out. Maybe this should be an entirely different thread!!

Wasalaam
BrKhalid

PS Guardess sounds good to me  bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
timbuktu
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009 12:25 PM »

peace be upon you

from Br Khalid:

I now use the shoe strategy passed on to me by my father which involves setting down your shoes on opposite sides when leaving them in racks. For example, placing the left shoe on the right hand side and the right show on the left.

Thanks. Smiley I am now going to use this strategy, and tell my brothers to do the same. Unfortunately few sisters in this part of the world can benefit, for most mosques do not have facilities for sisters to pray.

The other Jumma the Maulvi Saheb siad: If there is someone in need of shoes, please do not take another person's. Mr so and so lost gis shoes last jumma, and he wants anyone without shoes to approah him so he can buy him shoes. So please go to him after the prayers or come to me, and I will take you to him, but do not go with someone else's shoes.
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009 11:47 PM »

this gave me an idea
Instead of putting the shoes on the rack toe first- toward the wall- turn them around so the toe faces you. How many people would grab shoes this way?

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2009 03:22 AM »

this gave me an idea
Instead of putting the shoes on the rack toe first- toward the wall- turn them around so the toe faces you. How many people would grab shoes this way?

lol reminds me of this:

Plastic lunch bags made to look like mold will save your lunch

These "Anti-Theft" lunch bags are regular plastic sandwich bags with black splotches on them so they are made to look like your lunch is spoiled. Interesting idea for a built in anti-theft device for your lunch although we're not sure if people actually steal these types of sandwiches anymore.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #13 on: Jun 01, 2009 09:07 AM »

salam

Wouldn't you then run the risk of someone throwing your sandwich out?

I have a mad cull of the office fridge on occassion, and anything which looks remotely rotten/unwanted/unidentifiable all gets binned!!!
Mind you we don't steal from one another either, the very idea is awful (altho there's only four/five of us working together), the thought of a thief in our midst would ruin everything.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
UBAB
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Jun 01, 2009 05:05 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro
Risk Mitigation Strageties of the age old problem:  "Dude, where's my shoes?"
lol
I love it, maybe we should be putting these strategies in the Community Toolbox  bro

I Agreed with br. Khalid - this should be moved to the community toolbox

a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #15 on: Jun 10, 2009 11:10 PM »

After devoting long errr minutes to this problem, I have come up with several (as yet untried and untested but theoretically foolproof) methods for the Prevention of the Disappearance of Shoes:

Method Number One: Place each shoe on a different rack. The greater the distance between each shoe and its soul(sole?)mate, the greater the likelihood of the subject finding their shoes. The relationship between these two variables is affected by the strength of the subject's memory.

Method Number Two: Place shoes upside down with the heels facing upwards - the dirtier the heels the better. Amount of dirt on heels is directly proportional to the likelihood of the shoes being there as the owner left them (NB. the likelihood decreases significantly in the presence of an overzealous cleaner).

Method Number Three: Disguise your shoes by umm covering them with leaves and twigs and other debris. Actually, it would be better if you could cover them with stuff the same colour as the shoe rack..voila! Camouflaged shoes!

Method Number Four: If you are accompanied by a friend, pair one shoe of yours with one of his/hers and place in the shoe rack. Do the same with the other shoe. This works even better with a large group.. a greater number of combinations of shoes can be achieved in this way, thus confusing and befuddling any absent-minded individual or would-be thief.

Hrmm...methinks I should stop here...I'm off...I think I need a lie-down...or...something to do.. aargh! I can't stop thinking about shoes now !

See *this is where a_desert_rose attempts to convince people that she's sane* I've spent about two months buried in sociolinguistics and psycholinguistics and every other type of linguistics...and errr I'm taking it out on here 'kay? With a load of nonsensical rubbish. My next project: Ways to Stop Individuals in Public Transport from Hogging the Armrest.
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2009 08:28 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Is there a heatwave in the UK at the moment?

Sr adr is clearly displaying symptoms of sunstroke to me.  bro

Sr Fozia – Can you please ensure she’s on the appropriate medication if she turns up to the Madina gathering in London Wink

But seriously, nice to see you back Sister even if you’ll never look at a Masjid shoe rack in the same light ever again!!

a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: Jun 11, 2009 11:39 PM »

Is there a heatwave in the UK at the moment?

Sr adr is clearly displaying symptoms of sunstroke to me. 

Cheesy Don't worry brother, I'm over it  Wink

And don't even mention the weather, it's unspeakably frustrating. We get about a week of sunshine followed by a week of uncertainty of will it rain/ won't it rain – unsurprisingly it does rain in the end..Oh I could go on about it forever...On the flip side the rain is very good for the garden so Alhamdulillah for that  Smiley

[isn't it nice how all complaints somehow end with Alhamdulillah on something or other?]

Wassalam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: