// Give Salaams and You will Love One Another—Sh. Muhammad Hassan
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Give Salaams and You will Love One Another—Sh. Muhammad Hassan  (Read 2515 times)
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« on: May 29, 2009 01:56 PM »

Bismillahir rahman ir raheem
May 27, 2009

Jibreel Asks, and the Prophet Replies
Give Salaams and You will Love One Another—Sh. Muhammad Hassan

Asalamu alaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds, All praise be to the One Who did not take a child, and has no partner in dominion, the One Who has no helper, Whom there is no god except He, the Creator of all things, and there is no creator other than Him.   Allah deserves all forms of worship, and He declared that we worship none other than Him, that is because Allah is the Truth, and what they call on other than Him is falsehood, and Allah is the Highest, the Greatest.

I bear witness that there is no god other than Allah, unique in His Actions, Names, and Attributes; He has no equal, no partner, no opposite, no wife, no parents, nor children, unique in His Self, attributes, and actions.  “Say: Allah is One, the Lord and Sustainer of the Universe, He has no children, no parents, and there is nothing like Him.”

And I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, the Leader of those who declare God’s Oneness, and His close Friend.  He fulfilled the trust placed on him.  He is the most knowledgeable of people from amongst Allah’s creation, and Prophet of the highest station and rank, who said about Allah: Indeed Allah does not sleep, and it is not befitting of Him to sleep.  His veil is Light, if it were lifted, the vision of the onlooker would be set ablaze.

May Allah send peace and blessings on Prophet Muhammad, the Shining Sun, and Allah opened through him blind eyes, and deaf ears, and sealed hearts, and left us on a clear manifest guidance, its night like its day, and none deviates from it except is in loss. He is the caller to the best of actions and speech and character, and may peace be on his companions, family, and all those who follow his guidance and Sunnah, and take from the fruits of his teachings until the Day of Judgment.  

Welcome dear noble brothers and honorable sisters, fathers and mothers, and may Allah reward you for your efforts.  You have done well, and earned a place for yourselves in Jannah.  I ask Allah the Loving and Generous, who joined us during this blessed hour in His obedience, to join us in the Afterlife with the Best of Callers, and Imam of the Prophets in the Gardens of Paradise, for He is capable of that.  

My beloved: Jibreel asks and the Prophet, peace be upon them both, answers.  Lessons in Aqeedah and Imaan, and Tawheed, based on the Hadith of Jibreel, I present it to the beloved Ummah in a new unique means of presentation, the unique questions and concise answers that take place between the Prophet pbuh and Jibreel.  And why not, when the questioner is the Trustworthy one of the heavens, Jibreel, and the teacher is the Trustworthy one of the earth, our noble Prophet Muhammad, pbuh.

And that is through a beautiful conversation, questions and answers, in this beautiful hadith narrated by Bukhari in its abridged form, and Muslim, Ahmed, and others at length, and the version I chose for us: Yahya bin Amr said:  The first one who spoke of denying Qadr in Basra was Ma’bad al Juhani.  So we left for Hajj or Umrah, and we said, if only we find someone from the companions of the Prophet, pbuh, so that we may ask him about Destiny.  We were blessed to found Ibn Umar in a Masjid, and we gathered around him, some of us on his left, and others on his right, and I said:  Oh Abu Abdurahman, some people have begun to read the Quran seeking out its minute details, believing that there is no Qadr, and that all events happen spontaneously, and that Allah doesn’t know about them until they happen.  Ibn Umar said: “If you meet them, tell them that I am free from them and they are free from me.  By Allah, if they gave a mountain of gold in charity it would not be accepted by Allah from them until they believe in Destiny.”  Ibn Umar then said, ‘Hadathani Abi’ i.e. my father (Umar bin al-Khattab) taught me: “While we were sitting with the Prophet, pbuh, one day, a man suddenly came upon us, his clothes were extremely white, and his hair extremely black, and he had no signs of travel upon him, and none of us knew him.  He sat next to the Prophet, placing his knees towards his knees, and placing his hands on his thighs and said, ‘Oh Muhammad, Teach me about Islam…’  

The Prophet pbuh said, ‘Islam is to bear witness that there is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is his messenger, establish prayer, pay Zakat, fast Ramadan, and perform Hajj if you are able.’  The man said, ‘You have spoken the truth.’  We were amazed that he asked him a question, and then told him he was correct!  He then said ‘Teach me about Iman.’

The Prophet replied, “To believe in Allah, His angels, His Books, His Messengers, and the Day of Judgment, and to believe in Destiny, its good and evil.”  He said, ‘You have spoken the truth.’  He then said…’Teach me about Ihsaan…’  The Prophet said, “To worship Allah as if you see him, and if you aren’t able to see him, then He indeed Sees you.”  He said, ‘Teach me about the Hour…’  

The Prophet pbuh replied, “The one being asked does not know more than one questioning.”  The man said, ‘Then tell me about its signs.’  The Prophet said, ‘A slave-woman will give birth to her master, and you will see barefoot, naked, herdsmen competing in constructing tall buildings.”  
Then the questioner left.  We sat for a while, and then the Prophet pbuh said: ‘Do you know who the questioner was oh Umar?’  I said, ‘Allah and His Messenger know best.’  He replied, ‘He is Gabriel (Jibreel), he came to teach you your religion.’ ”

My honored friends, tonight we are meeting for the 28th time, and we continue with this means of teaching, Hadathni Abi.  With this lost means of Tarbiyya, my father taught me.

We spoke last time about Tarbiyya by example, Tarbiyyah by love, Tarbiyya by Aqeedah, and Tarbiyya by Ibaadah, and Tarbiyya by Akhlaq, and we continue speaking about Tarbiyya by Akhlaq, and the first foundation of Akhlaq is by Adab.

And we spoke about Adab with Allah, the Prophet, and with the Rulers and Scholars.  In the last meeting, I spoke about Adab with parents.  And tonight our talk is about Adab of Muslims with their brothers and sisters.  Then we will speak about Adab of asking permission to enter, to eat, and so one.  Let us not rush, for we are all in need of entering the house of Adab.

From the most beautiful hadith of the Prophet that gathers the means of Adab of a Muslim with his brother is what Bukhari and Muslim narrated:  The Prophet said:  The right of a Muslim on a Muslim is five.

These Adaab have been lost, even within a single home, these adaab and rights have been lost between two brothers in the same home, not to talk about the Muslims in general.

By Allah, if you didn’t gain anything from today’s talk except the words of the Prophet, that would be sufficient.
I wish every word I spoke were verses of the Quran and hadith of the Prophet.  What is more beautiful than our words being “Allah said, and the Messenger said.”

The Prophet said, “The Right of a Muslim on a Muslim are five:

1.)  Returning Salaam and greetings.  This is a major right.  We will see the depth of these words tonight.
2.)  Visiting the sick
3.)  Following the funeral procession.  
4.)  Answering the invitation
5.)  And praying for mercy to for the sneezer
And in Bukhari’s narration, the Prophet added a sixth right:
6.)  And if he seeks your advice, then give him your advice.”

Let us reflect, how many of these rights we have fulfilled and how many we have abandoned.
The Prophet taught us knowledge in all aspects of life, even how to use the bathroom.

Let’s begin with the first right, that is your right on me, and my right on you.  By Allah, if the Ummah fulfilled this hadith only, the whole Ummah would be in happiness and love, and our houses would be covered, and our streets, and schools, and markets, with clouds of love and giving and security.

How is it that there are so many evils in Muslim societies, which I don’t exaggerate, or ignore, but we must have scholars and callers who shed light on these issues so that these illnesses may be removed by the scholars with care and skill, since they answer these issues from the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of the Prophet.

The first Adab, requires that the Ummah must know, and pay careful attention to these words:  That returning Salaam is Fard, required, and offering Salaam is Sunnah, encouraged.  This is the Ijmaa’ of the Ummah.  The number of issues that have ijmaa in the Ummah are few.  This is from the mercy of Allah.  If all things were agreed upon, haram or halal, it would have been difficult for the Ummah.

So returing salaam is wajib on the Ummah, and offering them is Sunnah.  Allah says, ‘If you are greeted with a greeting, then return it with what is better, or at least return with its like.”

And Allah said, “Oh you believe, do not enter homes other than yours until you seek permission.”  We will also talk about this, perhaps your children might enter upon you in a manner that you would not like them to see you.

I went to America, and a Muslim came to me crying.  He was professor in the university there.  In New York, to be precise.  I said, what is wrong, Professor?  He said, I have a problem.  I came home during work hours, to my bedroom, to change my clothes, and I found my daughter committing fornication with a young boy on my bed.  This daughter of mine, she said, “Don’t you have manners, why don’t you knock before coming in?!”  This girl, she is trying to teach her father manners.  Have things been turned upside down or what?  If you don’t feel shy, do whatever you want, as the Prophet said.

Thus, we must teach our children Adab, from seeking permission, to even the fine details.  What is the age when a child must begin to ask permission to enter, and what are the proper clothes to wear in the house.

How should a visitor knock on the door, where should he stand?  This is our Islam, it teaches all these things.   Allah says, “Oh you who believe, do not enter houses until you have giving greetings to its occupants.”

Let me explain the importance of this Adab, the Prophet of Peace, our beloved, in the Saheehain:  The Prophet pbuh was asked, which Islam is best?  The Prophet replied:  “To feed food, and to offer greetings of peace to those you know and don’t know.”

Which Islam is best?  He didn’t say, Aqeedah, striving in the way of Allah, no, he wanted to show people the importance of Adab.  Perhaps there is someone who has a wife, and she doesn’t want him to bring his guests home.  She says, ‘Go away to a restaurant.  The house isn’t ready, there is no food.”  Then there are other wives, when the husband says, “I have a guest.”  She says, ‘Welcome.’  Any food that is at home, even bread and butter, that is sufficient.  But with love, with kindness, with happiness.  Someone else might invite you with all colors of food, but without love and generosity.  

You might go to someone else’s house, a poor person, and he doesn’t have much to serve, but it brings happiness to your heart.  There are few that eagerly seek to feed their brothers.  This is something that is lost.    

Some brothers, they invite you, they stand the whole time when they invite you, they don’t make a difference between rich and poor, and scholar and student, they place food in their mouth, and by Allah I know them.

The Adab of food, inshallah we will have a whole chapter on this subject.  The words of the Prophet, pbuh, on this topic.  For the Prophet did not leave anything out.  The people of knowledge have entire books on the subject, “The Adab of Eating.”

Giving Salaams.  Give salaams to whomever you know, or don’t know.  If you see someone in the Masjid, we are all facing the same Qibla.  Give the one next to you salaams.  “I don’t know him, he doesn’t go to the same Duroos as me.”  Audhobillah.   Abdullah bin Umar would go to the Souq, not to buy, but just to give salaams to everyone in the Souq.

In the Souq, on the street, on the markets, not many Muslims have forgotten to give salaams to others, they become arrogant, and no wonder the hearts have become dry.  Imagine a manager, he is too arrogant to give salaam to his workers.  No.  Has the world known anyone more knowledgeable then the Prophet?

The Prophet, in Saheeh Muslim, said, “You will not enter Jannah until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another, should I tell you something, if you do it, you will love one another?  Spread peace amongst each other.”

I wish people could translate this hadith, so that the people of the world knew what Prophet Muhammad pbuh taught.

A person who disbelieves, he will not enter the Paradise of the King unless he believes in the King.

Islam is a great blessing.   As narrated in Bukhari and Muslim, and the Prophet was in a wool tent, and the Prophet said to the Sahabah, “Do you want to be ¼ the people of Paradise.  Yes.  Do you want to be 1/3 the people of Paradise.  Yes, ½, yes,  by Allah, I wish you will be ½ the people of Paradise since none will enter Paradise except those who believe, and you are amongst the people of Shirk like a white hair on a black beast, or a black hair on a white beast.”

The Prophet, said, “Should I not show you how you will love one another?”  Since love is of two types.  Love that is natural, innate, and love that is learned.  

Natural love, is like one who loves himself.  You love goodness, wealth, children, you hate fighting, death.  You hate poverty, sickness.  

The other type of love, the love of choice, it must be attained through means.  I love you for reasons.  And you love me for reasons.  And you love your wife for reasons, and your wife loves you for reasons.

When the Prophet said, “None of you believe until I am more beloved to you than anyone else.”  This is the love that is learned, by choice, not the natural innate love.  Imam Khatabi said, “The Prophet didn’t ask Umar for the natural type of love, since no one can control this type of love, but he meant that which is by choice.  And Umar chose to love the Prophet more than himself.  So the Prophet said, now, now your faith is complete.”

And he said, the greatest means of this love, is through spreading Salaam amongst each other.  Give much Salaams, oh believers!  Spread it amongst you.

The Prophet said, as narrated in Dawud and Ahmed, Abdullah bin Salam, the inkpot of the Jews, may Allah be pleased with him, “I heard the Prophet say, oh People, spread salam, and feed the poor, and keep good relations, and pray while people are sleeping, and you will enter Paradise in ease.”

And we will stop on each of these points.  In Saheehain, the Prophet said, “When Allah created the Womb (relations), it held on to the throne, and the King said, “Will you not be happy if I connect those you connect you, and cut off those who cut you off.”

There is two types of cutting off, cutting off for the sake of religion, and that which is forbidden.  You gave advice to someone, time after time, again and again, then you leave him, this is for the deen.  But cutting someone off for dunya, for desires or worldly reasons, then this is Haram.

The Prophet pbuh ordered the people in Madina to cut off the people who stayed behind during the Battle of Tabuk.

Pray, and the people are sleeping.

How is it that one greets, or gives Salaam?  

The greeting that is famous now, is “Good evening, good morning. Beautiful morning.”  Yes, the morning is beautiful, but if you want to follow the Sunnah and attain the word, you must follow the way of the Prophet.  Not Bonjour, Hello, it is Asalamualaikum wa rahmatallahi wa barakatu.  This is beautiful.

The Prophet said, in a beautiful hadith, “A man came to the Prophet, and he said, Asalamualaikum, and the Prophet replied to his salam.  He sat down, and the Prophet said, 10.  Another man came, and said, Asalamualaikum wrt.  He sat, and the Prophet said, 20.  A third man came, and said, Asalamualaikum wrt wb, and sat.  The Prophet said, 30.”  30 rewards.

By Allah, do you need rewards?  Good morning, that is nice, but Asalamualaikum, 10 rewards.  Wa rahmatallah, 20 rewards.  Wa barakatu 30 rewards.

When Allah created Adam, Allah told him, go to those angels, and give greeting to them, and listen to what they say, for it will be the greeting for you and those who come after you.  He said, “Asalamualaikum” and they replied, “Walaikum salam wrt”  This greeting was taught long ago.

Wa barakatu, was this taught.  Yes, the Prophet pbuh said to Aisha, “This is Jibreel, saying Salaams to you.”  Look at this status of Aisha.

Also, Jibreel told the Prophet, pbuh, “Khadija is coming to give you a bowel, when she comes to give you the bowel, give her salaams from her Lord.”  When she came, the Prophet pbuh said, and she said, “And walaihi salam wrt wrt wb , then she added, “Allah is the Salaam, and from him is Salaam, and to Jibreel Salaam, and to you messenger of Allah.”

From the Adab of Salam, is for the rider to give salam to the walker.

The Prophet said, as narrated in Bukhari, “The Rider should give salam to the walker, and the walker should give salam to the sitter, and the small group should give salam to the group, and the young should give salam to the old.”

From the lost Adab of salaam, is that a husband should give Salam to his wife.  From the Adab of the Prophet, is that every time you enter the house, to give salaams to your wife.  And you should knock on the door.  This is my wife.  Yes, but this is the Sunnah.  Then enter with your right foot.  Then say, Asalamualaikum wrt.  Bismillahi walajna.  In the name of Allah, we enter.

You don’t know the blessings of this Adab.  Maybe the wife is angry with her husband, and giving salams removes mountains of anger.

The husband is anger, and he is in the bedroom, and she says salaam, and it removes the anger.  She says Salaam, then it become mandatory to return the salaams, even if you are anger.

The wife comes into your study, and she says Salaam, you must return the salaam.  You don’t have to be stoic.  Imagine the guidance of the Prophet, it teaches kindness.  Some men enter the house by kicking the door.  He doesn’t say salaam.

All the devils of the world enter the house with him.  If he enters with Bismillah, the angel leaves, and says we don’t have a place to sleep, and nor dinner.  This is the teaching of the Prophet.  This will bring happiness in this world and the next.  

Even if you are angry, follow the Sunnah of the Prophet.  If you angry with your spouse, my brother, my sister, you should not refrain from giving Salaam.  It is Sunnah to give Salam, and Fard to return it.

“If you entered homes, then give salaams to your selves, a greeting from Allah.”

And the Prophet said to Anas, “My son, if you enter upon your family, then give Salaams.  It will Barakah and blessings for you and the people of your house.”  This is Adab.

Can you imagine that the Prophet gave salaams to women?  Yes, he did, but without shaking hands.  Aisha said, ‘The Prophet never touched the hand of a (strange) women.’
In a hadith, the women gave pledge to the Prophet.
“The Prophet came to us, and gave pledge through words.”

The Prophet, pbuh, didn’t extend his hand.  He used to give Salams to children.

Bukhari, Anas passed by some children, then he said, ‘The Prophet pbuh used to do this.’

Why are we so arrogant, and turn away from the Sunnah of the Prophet.  Why don’t we return to this spring of life that has dried in our hearts.

If someone give salaams to you, then beware of not returning the Salams, for it is Fard, and offering it is Sunnah.

This is one of the Adab taught by the Prophet.  We will continue next time with the Adaab of visiting the sick, following the funerals, blessing the sneezer, and giving advice to the seeker.

I ask Allah to return use to this beloved form of Adab, and may peace and blessings be upon the Prophet, his family, and companions.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: