// When winning the lottery turns into a 'curse'
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: American consumers have no problem with carcinogens, but they will not purchase any product, including floor wax, that has fat in it. - Dave Barry
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When winning the lottery turns into a 'curse'  (Read 2624 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: May 29, 2009 07:46 PM »

$232 Million to the Winner in Winner
by Mike Krumboltz

22 hours ago

In today's rough economic times, the dream of winning the lottery looms large. This week, somebody's dream came true. The lucky winner hasn't come forward yet, but various news outlets are reporting that someone in Winner, South Dakota (yes, that's the town's real name), has a ticket worth $232 million. The numbers, in case you have a time machine and want a cut of the winnings, were 5, 6, 12, 16, 21, and 7 (Powerball).

News that there is a flimsy piece of paper worth close to a quarter of a billion bucks inspired a mad rush to the Search box. Though they were nowhere near as popular as the "lotto winner" queries, searches on "lottery curse" were conducted by more than a few. Indeed, there seems to be many times when someone wins millions of dollars only to suffer misfortune shortly thereafter.

An ABC article from 2007 highlights some of the more glaring incidents. A couple won $25 million and saw their marriage end just months later. In 2002, another man won millions of dollars but "his life was consumed by hardship," including the death of his granddaughter and the end of his marriage. Most bizarrely, a 1996 lotto winner was kidnapped and killed by his sister-in-law and an accomplice.

But before you get too depressed, let's get back to today's news: A very lucky $232 million ticket. Queries on "powerball numbers may 27 2009," "powerball winner," and "powerball winnings" posted immediate gains.

Also surging among the greedy and curious: "biggest lotto win ever." While $232 million is nothing to sneeze at, it's far from the biggest jackpot ever. That title belongs to a $390 million jackpot from 2007. (Although, according to MegaMillions.com, that prize was shared between two winners. Sheesh, only $195 million each? Why even bother?)

Here's hoping the winner of this recent windfall manages to do what so many past winners have tried to accomplish: Do some good while continuing to live a happy life. Oh, and don't forget to pay your taxes.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/1078005

Reminded me of this question in the mandatory introduction questions on this site:

2. If someone gave you a million dollars tomorrow, what would you do with it?

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009 07:52 PM »

Australian belatedly wins $10 million lottery

AP

Thu May 28, 3:13 pm ET

PERTH, Australia – An Australian student worried about her parents' money problems rifled through a pile of her lottery tickets Thursday and discovered that she had won 13 million Australian dollars ($10 million) 10 months ago, a state lottery agency said.

The student, living in the west coast city of Perth, received the winning ticket for a draw on July 22 last year as a gift from her father, Western Australia state agency Lotterywest said.

She had been unaware that it would have expired after 12 months, it said in a statement.

"I woke up this morning worried about our finances. Something made me think to check the tickets and I thought that if I win something, then I could help mom and dad out," Lotterywest quoted her as saying. She declined to be identified by name.

"The people close to me will be looked after and I might give some to research or a charity of some kind. It's nice to have this much to fulfill my dreams and the dreams of the people around me," she told the agency.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009 10:36 PM »

I think oprah had a show on people who won the lottery and what happened to their lives. Pretty ugly actually. Divorces, family suing each other, broken lives. She also had a show where they gave a homeless man (with no pscychological problems) 1 million dollars. He went through it in a month and ended up living on the street again. I don't think the lottery is a curse (although it is haram) but that huge change of lifestyle is hard to handle for a lot of people and greed makes a lot of ppl turn crazy.

What's sad is all these people spending their money every week and some people every day! to buy these tickets when they could go to helping improve their life and things. It does all add up and the statistics of winning is pretty close to 0 for most ppl. It's like selling people an empty dream.  :'(
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009 12:22 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

I remember reading something about power, status and money being amongst the main corrupting influences in this world.

Given the stories above on lottery winners, one can see why *not* winning the lottery maybe the greater blessing.

Allah knows best

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009 01:57 PM »

salam

But money one has not worked towards attaining never has barakah does it?

I tease my work colleagues occasionally for playing the lottery (they do a syndicate), in the years I've known them they've not won once, I pointed out to my friend all the holidays she could have had if she'd put aside the money she puts in to the weekly lottery fund!

Besides if wealth is going to come your way it will regardless, your choice is the means by which you attain it.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
timbuktu
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009 05:45 PM »

peace be upon you

wrong thread, I think!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: