Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Allah does not open the heart of a servant if it still contains three things: loving to remain [in the world], love of wealth, and concern about tomorrow." - Sahl Al-Tustari
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virginia's Muslim Poverty Fighter  (Read 711 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: Jun 01, 2009 06:56 PM »

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1243824950882&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout

thobebro
   UBAB

Virginia's Muslim Poverty Fighter

By  IslamOnline.net & Newspapers

BERRYVILLE, Virginia — Bisma Y. Sheikh, a young Muslim girl, is celebrated as a shinning star in the city of Berryville in Clarke County, Virginia, where she is recognized as a poverty fighter, the Winchester Star reported on Monday, June 1.
"This young lady exhibited great self confidence and truly a spirit and eagerness to bring people together," said Karen Schultz, the Star Leadership Awards Committee Chairman at Clarke County High School.

"We found her inspirational."

Sheikh, an 18-year-old senior at Clarke County High School, won on Sunday, May 31, the school’s 2009 Star Leadership Award.

The 5,000-dollar prize is a yearly event in Clarke County that dates back to 50 years ago.

Schultz asserted that while all the other nominees were praiseworthy, Sheikh’s commitment for peace and relief was extraordinary.

She was honored for "a combination of excellence of character, qualities of leadership, and devotion to duty."

In addition to the leadership award, Sheikh won two other service-related certificates, both of which came with $1,000 prizes.

Sheikh volunteers at Berryville Primary School, giving one-on-one help to kindergarten and first-grade students.

After completing her undergraduate degree in four years, she hopes to attend law school.

She wants to work in the Middle East and around the world on issues of peace, conflict resolution, human rights, and civil rights.

Poverty Fighter

The young Muslim is particularly recognized within the local community as a global poverty fighter.

"Even though I was born in the US, my family is from Pakistan, and I’ve seen poverty," she told the Winchester Star.

"I’ve seen hunger, I’ve seen helplessness and orphans in the streets."

She considers her passion about fighting poverty as a natural component of her faith.

"I do what I do because I love it."

Sheikh helped package more than 50,000 meals this year for children in Haiti through the Stop Hunger Now relief agency.

The experience was even more meaningful since she was fasting that day.

She also helped raise money in 2004 for the Afghan Children’s Fund and in 2005 to help earthquake victims in Pakistan.

"Every parent prays and hopes that their child will be the one selected," her father Yousaf said about the awards.

"And we are so proud."

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: