Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: When in doubt, tell the truth. - Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Merciful storekeeper changes robber's mind, religion  (Read 3514 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jun 03, 2009 05:14 AM »

One of the craziest/possibly good things I've read in a long time!! -- J.

===================
# Story Highlights
# Long Island storekeeper Mohammad Sohail faces man wielding baseball bat
# Sohail grabs shotgun; stunned man begins to cry, says he has no food at home
# Man's story tugs at Sohail's heartstrings, and he offers man money, bread, milk
# After act of compassion, man says he wants to become a Muslim like Sohail

Merciful storekeeper changes robber's mind, religion

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/02/new.york.robber.mercy/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN)  -- A potential victim became a compassionate counselor during a recent robbery attempt, changing the would-be criminal's mind -- and apparently his religion.

Surveillance video shows storekeeper Mohammad Sohail holding a robber at bay with a shotgun.

Storekeeper Mohammad Sohail was closing up his Long Island convenience store just after midnight on May 21 when -- as shown on the store's surveillance video -- a man came in wielding a baseball bat and demanding money.

"He said, 'Hurry up and give me the money, give me the money!' and I said, 'Hold on'," Sohail recalled in a phone interview with CNN on Tuesday, after the store video and his story was carried on local TV.

Sohail said he reached under the counter, grabbed his shotgun and told the robber to drop the bat and get down on his knees.

"He's crying like a baby," Sohail said. "He says, 'Don't call police, don't shoot me, I have no money, I have no food in my house.' "

Amidst the man's apologies and pleas, Sohail said he felt a surge of compassion.

He made the man promise never to rob anyone again and when he agreed, Sohail gave him $40 and a loaf of bread.

"When he gets $40, he's very impressed, he says, 'I want to be a Muslim just like you,' " Sohail said, adding he had the would-be criminal recite an Islamic oath.

"I said 'Congratulations. You are now a Muslim and your name is Nawaz Sharif Zardari.'"

When asked why he chose the hybrid of two Pakistani presidents' names, the Pakistani immigrant laughed and said he had been watching a South Asian news channel moments before the confrontation.

Sohail said the man fled the store when he turned away to get the man some free milk.

He said police might still be looking for the suspect but he doesn't intend to press charges.

"The guy, you know, everybody has a hard time right now, it's too bad for everybody right now in this economy," said the storekeeper.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2009 11:01 PM »

Here's the video for it. kinda funny:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=4226712&cl=13784965&src=news
moe19x
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
moe19x has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2009 12:00 AM »

Benevolent New York merchant cited in drug sweep

By The Associated Press

SHIRLEY, N.Y. - A New York convenience store owner who made headlines after showing mercy on a would-be robber has been accused of selling drug paraphernalia.

Shirley Express owner Mohammad Sohail's store on Long Island was one of seven businesses cited Tuesday.

He's accused of violating state business laws.

Prosecutors say undercover officers bought bongs and pipe screens at the store three times in recent weeks.

Sohail says he did not know the items were not permitted to be sold.

It's not a criminal charge and is punishable by a fine of up to $30,000.

The merchant got attention this week when it was revealed that he gave an intended robber $40 and a loaf of bread if the man agreed never to steal again.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2009 05:09 AM »

Poor guy... basically the law seems weird about hookahs you're allowed to sell it, but NOT if you sell it knowing that people will use it for drugs?!! dunno how they make that decision, but basically he was fined like crazy....
moe19x
Bro

moe19x has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2009 09:00 PM »

hookahs and bongs and pipes are totaly diffrent things.

Bongs and pipes are only made for one thing, no one smokes tobacco in them lol
Abdurahman
Bro

Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2009 01:19 PM »

All Praise be to Allah, and peace be upon His Final Messenger.

I don't see the point of Moe x's post.   It in no way takes away from the enormous act of compassion of this storekeeper.   Imagine a guy comes in to rob you, and threatens you with an act of violence, and you give him $40 of your hard earned money, and bread and milk on top of that.   That is true compassion and rahma, that we all need to learn from.

May Allah reward the brother and protect him from the evils and guide all the Muslims to be living examples of Islam.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2009 06:13 PM »

wsalaam,

The point is (if it's true) he was selling things that are used for haram and which are also illegal. You know Muslims own thousands of corner stores, if only they would unite and not sell alcohol, cigarettes, cheat people etc etc. What amazing dawah we could have all over. Imam Siraj led such a movement in New York city. May Allah give him shifaa.
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2009 09:40 PM »

The CFRB 1010 AM radio station in Toronto put a spin on the entire story.  They said that when the man came to rob him, the store owner pull out a gun.  So the robber started crying, so the store owner gave him $40 and a loaf of bread, and when he turned around the robber ran away....

Do you see how the story is spun by withholding information? Their version of the story makes the store owner look like an idiot!

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Abdurahman
Bro

Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2009 08:54 PM »

All praise be to Allah, and peace be upon His final Prophet.

Did you forget the hadith of the Prophet, pbuh, where he said that a prostitute was forgiven for her act of compassion towards a dog, and she entered Paradise?  Don't reject someone's charity just because they are sinful.  We should welcome such acts with open arms.  It could be the means of them entering Paradise.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2009 09:32 PM »

Huh?

No one is denying his good deed.

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2009 07:58 PM »

"You Changed My Life"

By  Aisha Qidwae, IOL Correspondent

"I believe that if you do good things, good things come back," Sohail told IOL.
WASHINGTON –- Mohammad Sohail may have acted out of his good nature six months ago when he showed mercy to a robber of his store, but he never expected his action to have such a profound effect on the man's life.

"I’m just like I won the lottery, a million dollars, because I changed somebody’s life," an excited Sohail told IslamOnline.net.

Sohail made headlines and commanded media attention in May.

He was closing up his Shirley Express convenience store just after midnight when a man came in wielding a baseball bat and demanded money.

When he reached under the counter and pulled out his shotgun, the masked robber dropped the bat and collapsed in tears, pleading he only wanted to feed his starving family.

Instead of calling the police, a kind-hearted Sohail offered the man $40 and a loaf of bread, but only after he promised never to rob anyone again.

"If police come and arrest this guy, he’s in jail; he never sees his kids. He never sees his baby, his family," Sohail explained in his broken accented English.

The robber was so stunned by Sohail’s act that he told him he wanted to be a Muslim like him.

He recited the shahada (the Muslim declaration of faith) and Sohail gave him the name Nawaz Sharif Zardari, a combination of the names of the Pakistani president and popular opposition leader.

Sohail did not expect to hear again from his mysterious robber, who remained masked the whole time, until he got the thank-you letter and a $50 bill.

"Because of that you change my life," wrote the robber.

"Now I have a new child and good job make good money staying out of trouble and taking care of my family."

Helping Others

For the second time in less than six months, Sohail is back in the limelight and media attention.

He has been interviewed by national newspapers and TV stations, and he also received letters of admiration from people inspired by his act of kindness from as far as Australia.

"If you put my name on Internet, you can see me on hundred different websites."

But for Sohail, who moved to the US from Pakistan 20 years ago and has lived in the Long Island area for the past 15 years, what he did was nothing exceptional.

"It’s not only this person, I help more people. What’s the difference if I help this guy too?"

He remembers how his parents used to tell him not to hurt anyone, even if that person hurts him.

"If someone come to my store and need something, I give them. Whatever I can do, I give them," added Sohail.

He says a lot of people, including his own family, ask him why he's always willing to help people in need.

"I believe that if you do good things, good things come back."

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2009 07:38 AM »

Nice video update. Wish there were more Muslim storekeepers like him, there would be such change...

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2009/12/03/snow.grateful.robber.cnn.html
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2010 03:35 AM »

I watched the story of how Muhammed Soheil gave $40 and a loaf of bread to a man that attempted to rob him.  It really caused me to love this man as a great human being and to remind me of how very good Muslims helped me when I had problems in my life.  There are many very good people who are Muslims.  There are many good and bad people of all religions.  Asalam A Lakem to all great Muslim Human Beings.

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: