Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Friends, Rumi, countrymen, lend me your poetry.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wedding Quotes Needed!~  (Read 3245 times)
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 22
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Ahla Haya

« on: Jun 08, 2009 07:57 PM »

As-Salaamu` alaykum,
Dear Friends,
I'm looking for wedding quotes, so please share your favorites insha`Allah:)

Btw, I've heard its best not to use Qur'anic verses on invitation cards, cos people may throw them away after use etc,. So what are your thoughts on this?

Jazaks`Allah Khayr in advance,
W`s-salâms

"...Surely my prayer and my sacrifice, my life and my death are for Allah, the Lord of the Worlds..." (Qur'an, 6:162)
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2009 09:13 PM »

Classic Quote...

And one of His signs is that He created mates for you from yourselves that you may find rest in them, and He put between you love and compassion; most surely there are signs in this for a people who reflect.

Among His signs is [the fact] that He has created spouses for you among yourselves so that you may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has planted love and mercy between you; In that are signs for people who reflect. Qur'an [30 : 21]

thobebro
   UBAB

(what are scholar's opinion if it's written in English? Because we use the opinion that the english quran is not a mushaf - so that we can give it out for dawah purposes to those who *really* want to learn about Islam)

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
UBAB
Bro

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2009 09:14 PM »

There has not been created any institution in Islam which is more favoured and dearer to Allah than marriage!

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2009 09:17 PM »

And the believers, men and women, are protecting friends of one another; they enjoin the right and forbid the wrong, and they establish worship and they pay the poor-due, and they obey Allah and His messenger; as for those, Allah will have mercy on them; Lo! Allah is Mighty, Wise. Allah hath promised to believers - men and women - gardens underwhich rivers flow, to dwell therein, and beautiful mansions in gardens of everlasting bliss; but the greatest bliss is the good pleasure of Allah: This is the supreme felicity.

Qur'an [9 : 71 - 72]

thobebro
   UBAB

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2009 09:18 PM »

O Mankind!  Verily We have created you from a male and a female,and made you nations and tribes, so that you may know each other."

thobebro
   UBAB

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2009 09:29 PM »

A complete Template!

thobebro
   UBAB

the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful
Mr. XXXX & Mrs. XXXX & Mr. XXXX & Mrs. XXXX

kindly request the presence and blessings of

at the Wedding Ceremony to unite

XXXX & XXXX

Nikkah and Reception will take place InshaAllah on
Saturday 3rd October 2009 at 6:30 pm

at
the Radisson Edwardian Hotel
199 Hostel Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB3 5AW.

“O Allah bless and guide this marriage to the very best of understanding,
happiness, prosperity and success (Ameen)”

Order of Wedding
 18:30 - Arrival of guests to Newbury Suite for pre-reception drinks
(Provision will be made for Magrib prayer)
19:00 - Arrival of Bride & Groom
19:30 - Nikkah (Nuptial Ceremony)
20:00 - Dinner
20:30 - Departure of Bride and Groom

RSVP

Groom’s Family   Bride’s Family
Telephone: 029 8999 6999
Email: RSVP@XXXX.co.uk    Telephone: 029 8999 0199
Email: RSVP@XXXX.co.uk

We kindly request no boxed gifts please.

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2009 09:31 PM »

May Allah Guide this marriage to the best of understanding,
happiness, prosperity, success and a righteous path – Ameen.

thobebro
   UBAB

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2009 12:23 AM »

I kind of find it tacky to put phone numbers or emails on an invitation. That should be left for the RSVP card. As for the "no boxed gifts" thing there's a huge debate on that  boxing i can understand why new couples don't want 6 toasters and what not, and especially other peoples old gifts they just repackage laying around their house ( mostly a lot of junk ) but writing that is like 'we want money and nothing else' kind of ruins an invitation card whenever i see that. i think a registry is a good middle option discreetly spread around by the families so everyone knows where to go.

As for Quran and Arabic I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it's the responsibility of those who receive it to dispose of it properly. I know one auntie who makes bookmarks from them... so cute Smiley There's an "Ultimate Muslimah's Guide to Weddings" around here somewhere or in the archives that has a lot more info and threads related to weddings. Here it is: http://www.jannah.org/madina/archives/year2006and2007/index.php?topic=398.0

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2009 07:04 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

19:30 - Nikkah (Nuptial Ceremony)
20:00 - Dinner
20:30 - Departure of Bride and Groom

You know these sample timings make the Bride and Groom out to be fast eaters  Wink

i think a registry is a good middle option discreetly spread around by the families so everyone knows where to go

I still see registers as the exception rather than the rule at most weddings.

I guess it is hard to get pass the simplicity of giving ca$h.  bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
UBAB
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2009 01:58 PM »

I kind of find it tacky to put phone numbers or emails on an invitation. That should be left for the RSVP card. As for the "no boxed gifts" thing there's a huge debate on that  boxing i can understand why new couples don't want 6 toasters and what not, and especially other peoples old gifts they just repackage laying around their house ( mostly a lot of junk ) but writing that is like 'we want money and nothing else' kind of ruins an invitation card whenever i see that.

Sr. Jannah, As-salamu-alaikum,

Some people don't get it.

When there was a marriage ceremony of a couple in the west coast who was moving to the east coast, the father of the bride did not want to put in the sentence "no boxed gifts, please" - so when came to the wedding day, people gave microwaves, stereosystems, Dvd players, mikasa crystals up the waazoo - Even though the knew they were moving!! This meant that either they would have to leave everything behind or take it with them. It took them 2 years to move all the stuff to the east coast - even though they had like 12 family members travelling with them and thus 24 suitcases worth of stuff they were carrying back - and guess what, they kept about 4-5 items, the rest they returned to the store to get gift receipts (costing them time and gas $$), and you know what, some of the items was less than $8! From a well to do large families! Some of the other gifts were addressed to the other people (names written right on the box in pen) - they were re-gifted to the couple!

Let's be frank here, new couples need $$$ - that's it - not regifts - not over priced registry stuff , $ $ $ = pay off their student loans, pay off their wedding costs, pay for the honeymoon or get a place of their own - whatever...by giving cash, you are **trusting them** to do the right thing spend the money accordingly.

um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2009 02:34 PM »

salam

I agree with you br. UBAB.  I put the statement "no boxed gifts please" in both Arabic and English and guess what, some guests brought gifts anyways!

As for sister Siham's original request,  I have seen people put nice lines poetry (original stuff) about the bride and the groom instead of quotes from Quran for the same reason.

There is one very cute wedding invitation in Arabic that was forwarded to me by email - had a different theme so to speak!
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2009 09:37 PM »

and guess what, they kept about 4-5 items, the rest they returned to the store to get gift receipts (costing them time and gas $$), and you know what, some of the items was less than $8! From a well to do large families! Some of the other gifts were addressed to the other people (names written right on the box in pen) - they were re-gifted to the couple!

Let's be frank here, new couples need $$$ - that's it - not regifts - not over priced registry stuff , $ $ $ = pay off their student loans, pay off their wedding costs, pay for the honeymoon or get a place of their own - whatever...by giving cash, you are **trusting them** to do the right thing spend the money accordingly.

lol agreed cash is king...

but some people can't afford to give a good amount of cash like $50-$100 per wedding (and u know how many weddings there are in the community each year!) so buying something around 30 from a registry is easier. i don't think all registeries are over priced... all the target one's i've seen are very moderate prices with good quality. not quite like buying everything on sale but still good.
Mohamed
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Mohamed has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2009 08:27 AM »

btw Alf Mabrouk
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2009 02:24 PM »

Assalamo elikuim

May be its my backhome upbringing but I dont like "No boxed gifts please" on cards - you let people who are close to you know this but not all guests.
A gift is a "gift" not an obligation, you shouldnt be told what to give and what not. And I agree with Sr.Jannah, sometimes its not possible for families to give a respected or whatever the standard weddding amount money so buying a gift helps. And I do understand that having 12 mikasa bowls is no fun either Smiley

Wasalam
tq
UBAB
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2009 02:45 PM »

Fine I accept that the gift registry works - for smart couples who choose wisely for their guests Also the $30-49 range on a gift registry is more affordable than giving $50-100 for a wedding - we don't have Target here - but I wish we did - but I always visit one when travelling to the US.

But one question - do you give different amounts depending on your relationship to the bride, groom or both?

Mohammed, my firewall is preventing the image from showing up - can you save it and attach it?

Sister tq - they got 47 Mikasa pieces weighing nearly 210 pounds.

A hybird solution I have seen is that some couples have asked only for your duas instead of gifts.

I understand the finance for different people is different, but at least the gift should compensate the cost of the food your eating at their party - so at bare minimum - it's like going to a nice resturant with the people you like (or not Smiley ).

Also we know that people are or will be getting married in the future - so another idea is to develop a gift box. I have one - it's one of those large rubbermaid container (50 US GAL version) filled with NEW gifts*, new toys, tissue papper, ribbon, bows, gift bags and cards that I slowly bought over the years that I could give to different people depending on the occasion. This way I buy good priced, higher quality gift on sale and not forced due to time constraints to buy a more expensive, but crappy gift.

*not re-gift items

thobebro
   UBAB

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #15 on: Jun 10, 2009 02:56 PM »

I found a picture of the gift storage box I use on the rubbermaid site:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd2947118#

It's good for occasional storage access - my box is over 7 years old...

thobebro
   UBAB

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #16 on: Jun 10, 2009 10:21 PM »

I've been through a few siblings and friends weddings and of course all the other ppls we've attended. I don't think the amount changes based on relationship unless the person is like an extremely close personal friend and we're part of the wedding party type of thing. Across weddings the same people tend to give the same amount to every couple. But I have noticed that people give a lot less if the wedding is in a mosque versus in a hotel. Perhaps people know a hotel wedding is more expensive and want to offset the costs but it seems an odd double standard to me. I don't know what standards are in your part of the world but usually here it's like $50, $25-30 if you're like a single student or something, possibly $100 if ur a big family going and close to the family, $200 is the usual from doctor uncles (ma'shallah i have to say it is generous and helps ppl out a lot). Anything less than that does look bad. Usually people who have had weddings in their family tend to give more possibly because they know how much it costs. 

Asking for duas instead of gifts...I've heard most people ignore that. They bring a gift anyway. I think it just makes ppl feel guilty or greedy or something.

My American co-workers always believed that one should give a gift at least equal to the cost of hosting you at the party. So if the wedding is like $50/person you should pay that for every member of your family that attends! My Italian co-worker from Long Island said the standard there was $500 as a wedding gift. And anything else would look really bad. I didn't believe him until he told me he netted at least $30k at his wedding! Guess the mafia pays well  bebzi

I think whatever people give it will never offset the cost of a wedding and really the gift isn't supposed to do that. The wedding should be on the part of the bride and groom's families wanting to share their happiness. Any gift should be a kindness on the part of guests. But I really do see the waste in people re-gifting or giving ppl junk or stuff they already have. So don't know how to really balance the two except in varied price registeries...

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #17 on: Jun 11, 2009 07:50 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Given the preceding discussion maybe an appropriate quote would be:

Those who, when they spend, are not extravagant and not niggardly, but hold a just (balance) between those (extremes)

[25:67]

The wedding should be on the part of the bride and groom's families wanting to share their happiness. Any gift should be a kindness on the part of guests

The best compromise I've seen in the spirit of the above is the following wording:

"No boxed gifts please, the couple solely wish the pleasure of your company"

I guess at the end of the day, if someone wishes to give you a gift, one should receive it in the spirit it was given regardless of the amount or whether it comes in a box or not.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: