// All those on Earth Must Perish—Sh. Muhammad Hassan
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Appreciation: The Prophet said: 'Whoever does not thank people (for their favors) has not thanked Allah (properly), Mighty and Glorious is He!' (Musnad Ahmad, Sunan At-Tirmidhî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All those on Earth Must Perish—Sh. Muhammad Hassan  (Read 1746 times)
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« on: Jun 18, 2009 11:52 PM »

Bismillahir rahman ir raheem
June 17, 2009

Jibreel Asks, and the Prophet Replies
All those on Earth Must Perish—Sh. Muhammad Hassan

Asalamu alaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds, All praise be to the One Who did not take a child, and has no partner in dominion, the One Who has no helper, Whom there is no god except He, the Creator of all things, and there is no creator other than Him.   Allah deserves all forms of worship, and He declared that we worship none other than Him, that is because Allah is the Truth, and what they call on other than Him is falsehood, and Allah is the Highest, the Greatest.

I bear witness that there is no god other than Allah, unique in His Actions, Names, and Attributes; He has no equal, no partner, no opposite, no wife, no parents, nor children, unique in His Self, attributes, and actions.  “Say: Allah is One, the Lord and Sustainer of the Universe, He has no children, no parents, and there is nothing like Him.”

And I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, the Leader of those who declare God’s Oneness, and His close Friend.  He fulfilled the trust placed on him.  He is the most knowledgeable of people from amongst Allah’s creation, and Prophet of the highest station and rank, who said about Allah: Indeed Allah does not sleep, and it is not befitting of Him to sleep.  His veil is Light, if it were lifted, the vision of the onlooker would be set ablaze.

May Allah send peace and blessings on Prophet Muhammad, the Shining Sun, and Allah opened through him blind eyes, and deaf ears, and sealed hearts, and left us on a clear manifest guidance, its night like its day, and none deviates from it except is in loss. He is the caller to the best of actions and speech and character, and may peace be on his companions, family, and all those who follow his guidance and Sunnah, and take from the fruits of his teachings until the Day of Judgment.  

Welcome dear noble brothers and honorable sisters, fathers and mothers, and may Allah reward you for your efforts.  You have done well, and earned a place for yourselves in Jannah.  I ask Allah the Loving and Generous, who joined us during this blessed hour in His obedience, to join us in the Afterlife with the Best of Callers, and Imam of the Prophets in the Gardens of Paradise, for He is capable of that.  

My beloved: Jibreel asks and the Prophet, peace be upon them both, answers.  Lessons in Aqeedah and Imaan, and Tawheed, based on the Hadith of Jibreel, I present it to the beloved Ummah in a new unique means of presentation, the unique questions and concise guided answers that take place between the Prophet peace be upon him and Jibreel.  And why not, when the questioner is the Trustworthy one of the heavens, Jibreel, and the teacher is the Trustworthy one of the earth, our noble Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him.

And that is through a beautiful conversation, questions and answers, in this beautiful hadith narrated by Bukhari in its abridged form, and Ahmed, Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, and Muslim and others at length, and the version I chose for us: Yahya bin Amr said:  The first one who spoke of denying Qadr in Basra was Ma’bad al Juhani.  So we, I and Abdurahman al-Himrawi left for Hajj or Umrah, and we said, if only we find someone from the companions of the Prophet, peace be upon him, so that we may ask him about Destiny.  We were blessed to found Ibn Umar in a Masjid, and we gathered around him, some of us on his left, and others on his right, and I said:  Oh Abu Abdurahman, some people have begun to read the Quran seeking out its minute details, believing that there is no Qadr, and that all events happen spontaneously, and that Allah doesn’t know about them until they happen.  Ibn Umar said: “If you meet them, tell them that I am free from them and they are free from me.  By Allah, if they gave a mountain of gold in charity it would not be accepted by Allah from them until they believe in Destiny.”  
Ibn Umar then said, ‘Hadathani Abi’ i.e. my father (Umar bin al-Khattab) taught me: “While we were sitting with the Prophet, peace be upon him, one day, a man suddenly came upon us, his clothes were extremely white, and his hair extremely black, and he had no signs of travel upon him, and none of us knew him.  He sat next to the Prophet, placing his knees towards his knees, and placing his hands on his thighs and said, ‘Oh Muhammad, Teach me about Islam…’  

The Prophet peace be upon him said, ‘Islam is to bear witness that there is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is His messenger, establish prayer, pay Zakat, fast Ramadan, and perform Hajj if you are able.’  The man said, ‘You have spoken the truth.’  We were amazed that he asked him a question, and then told him he was correct!  He then said ‘Teach me about Iman.’
 The Prophet replied, “To believe in Allah, His angels, His Books, His Messengers, and the Day of Judgment, and to believe in Destiny, its good and evil.”  He said, ‘You have spoken the truth.’  He then said…’Teach me about Ihsaan…’  The Prophet said, “To worship Allah as if you see him, and if you aren’t able to see him, then He indeed Sees you.”  He said, ‘Teach me about the Hour…’  
The Prophet peace be upon him replied, “The one being asked does not know more than one questioning.”  The man said, ‘Then tell me about its signs.’  The Prophet said, ‘A slave-woman will give birth to her master, and you will see barefoot, naked, herdsmen competing in constructing tall buildings.”  

Then the questioner left.  We sat for a while, and then the Prophet peace be upon him said: ‘Do you know who the questioner was oh Umar?’  I said, ‘Allah and His Messenger know best.’  He replied, ‘He is Gabriel (Jibreel), he came to teach you your religion.’ ”

My honored friends, tonight we are meeting for the 30th time, and we continue with this beautiful means of teaching, Hadathani Abi, or my father taught me, that every family in our Ummah is so desperately in need of without exception.

We spoke last time during this critical series, about Tarbiyya by example, Tarbiyyah by love, Tarbiyya by Aqeedah, and Tarbiyya by Ibaadah, and Tarbiyya by Akhlaq, and we continue speaking, by Allah’s help, about Tarbiyya by Akhlaq, and the first foundation of Akhlaq is by Adab.

And we spoke about Adab with Allah Most High, and with the Prophet of Allah peace be upon him, with the Rulers and Scholars, and Adab with parents.  And we continue to speak in general about Adab of Muslims with their brothers and sisters.  

And I spoke at length about this all encompassing hadith narrated by Bukhari and Muslim:

The Prophet said, “The Right of a Muslim on a Muslim are five:

1.)  Returning Salaam and greetings.  This is a major right, and we heard details of this in the past.

2.)  Visiting the sick, and we spoke about this last time.

3.)  Following the funeral procession.  

4.)  Answering the invitation

5.)  And praying for mercy to for the sneezer

And in Bukhari’s narration, the Prophet added a sixth right:

6.)  And if he seeks your advice, then give him your advice.”

We spoke last time about visiting the sick, and tonight we will speak about an important topic, following the Janaiz, or funeral procession, and I want to remind us, before we speak about Janaza, about death.

Allah says:  “Everyone on it will perish.  And the Countenance of your Lord, Full of Splendor and Honor, shall remain.”

And Allah calls Death:  Al-Haqq

Wa jaaa sakaratal mawt bil haq, wa dhalika ma kunta taheed (flee from)
“And the pangs of death will come in truth, this is what you used to flee from.”
You flee to food, from hunger, to the doctor, if you are sick, all that you are doing, really, is fleeing from death.

And the truth is death, and Allah is the Always living, who doesn’t die.

And Haqq is to see the angels of mercy at the moment of death, or the angels of punishment.

All things owned will be lost.  All things mentioned will be forgotten, and all living things will perish.  Except Allah.

Until how long will you return wrong with wrong, didn’t your grey hair give you warning!

How long will you continue in forgetfulness and heedlessness, as if you will never meet the worms of death.  Prepare yourself with goodness and prepare yourself with a vehicle to carry you, with the Adab of the Prophet and righteous deeds.

The Prophet reminded us to remember death often, he said, “Remember the Destroyer of Pleasures (death).”

One does not remember Death in plenty except it is made less, and it is not mentioned in poverty except it is made into richness.

No matter how long the world continues, it will still come to an end, and no matter how long the night is, morning must come.

If anyone were to live forever, it would have been the Prophet.

I want to remind myself, and then my brothers and sisters, of this reality, that the greatest mighty tyrants will succumb to death, and it will happen, willingly or unwillingly, the evil and righteous, young and old, poor and rich, prophets and messengers.

It is a reality that will ring in every ear, that none will stay except the Ever-Living.  Even the foolish, the cowards, those who eagerly cling to life, all will die.

Allah says:
“The pangs of death will come with truth.  This is what you were fleeing from.”

“No, when the soul reaches the throat, and you are watching, then if you are really without restraint, why don’t you bring life back to it, if you are truthful.”  

To your Lord is the return.  Live as much as you want, for you are departing, and love as much as you want for you will part ways.

How much do you commit sins, and you forget you must leave.  If life were to continue, it would have continued and been eternal for the Prophet.

I remind myself, and old and young, and rich and poor, and mighty and weak, that death is what we forget at times, and deliberately ignore at other times, while we are busy with worldly things.

What did the one who died benefit from, of his wealth, and bank accounts, and children, and…?!

Fudail asked a man, how old are you?  

He said 60.  

Fudail said, “You have been traveling towards Allah for 60 years, and yet still have not reached Him.”

The man said, Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon.  

Fudail said:  Do you know what that means?  

The man said, it means I am a slave, and I will return to Allah

Fudail said, Do you know what it means to stand in front of Allah?

The man began to cry about his state.

Fudail said, the solution is to prepare yourself now, to stand in front of Allah.  

Prepare yourselves, for we will leave this world soon.

So my beloved brothers and sisters, come with me tonight, to follow a Janaza, a funeral.  

Whose Janaza?  

Yours.  Yes, yours my brother or sister.

No power on the earth can come between you and this point of departure, even if all the doctors of the world gathered together to bring your life back.  No, the angel of death will not be sent back.

The Adab of following the funeral, it is an Adab that many have lost, either because of ignorance, or because they deliberately are remiss about it.

Come tonight, and learn about the Adab of Janaza.

First, the merits of the following the Janaza.

Tonight you might hear some words that you never heard before.  Listen to the Truthful Prophet in Saheehain, he said:

Whoever follows the Janaza of a Muslim seeking reward with Imaan in Allah (meaning I don’t go to seek wealth, some people follow the funerals of the rich only, and if this is amongst us, then it shows our poverty, so first of Allah, we do that with Imaan in Allah, and seeking the pleasure of Allah, and you don’t want praise, or showing off, or thanks, no you do it not for dunya, but for the reward of Allah.)

“Whoever follows the Janaza of a Muslim with Iman and seeking reward, and prays on him, and follows the funeral procession until he is buried, then he returns home with two Qiraat, and each Qiraat is like the mount of Uhud.
And whoever follows a Janaza and prays and returns before it is buried, then he returns with one Qiraat.”

Oh Allah, Abdullah ibn Umar, when he heard this hadith, he had some stones in his hands, he threw them down, and said, “How many Qiraat have we missed out on!”

If you prayed on a Janaza, and followed it to the grave, and by Allah, my brothers and sisters, don’t you agree with me that we have missed out on some many Qiraat?  And in the narration of Muslim, “Someone asked, what is two Qiraat?” The Prophet replied, Like two huge mountains.

This is a great merit.  Following the Janaza is Fard Kiffayya.  Isn’t not Sunnah?  No, it is Fard Kiffayya, on men.  And it is haram on women.  However, if the woman is in a Masjid, and there is a Janaza, it is ok for her to pray on it.  However, for her to follow the Janaza to the graveyard, that is Haram, by the agreement of the scholars.
Fard Kiffayya, means that if some of the people in a place carry out the responsibility, the sin will be removed from the rest, this is a mercy from Allah.

So many miss out on this obligation, and if you cannot follow the Janaza, you should at least seek the Qiraat, and pray on the Janaza.

I know there are some saying right now, yes Shaikh, but I don’t know how to pray the Janaza prayer.

This is a shortcoming, for we don’t remind each other of how to perform this important act, and for this reason, we see when a Janaza comes to a Masjid, there is a group of people waiting outside, for the prayer to finish.
They say, by Allah, I don’t know how to pray Janaza.  And it is even worse, if they miss out on the Fard Salat with the Janaza prayer.  The Prophet said: “Whoever left a single prayer deliberately, Allah is free from him.”  As narrated by Ahmed.
First of all, they miss out on the Qiraat promised by the Prophet.

How is it that a Muslim can say, I don’t know how to pray?   This is a calamity.

But tonight, I will explain how to pray Janaza.

1.)    Salat al Janaza has no Rukuu (bowing) or Sajdah (prostration).

2.)   For this reason, it is permissible to pray it in the graveyard, or the masjid, and the Prophet did both.

3.)   But if the Janaza comes to a Masjid, they should not place it in the direction of the Qibla until after the Fard is finished.

4.)   If there are more than one who passed away, the women are placed closer to the Qibla, then the men are placed closer to the Imam, with the man’s head close to the middle of the woman’s Janaza.

5.)   The Imam prays near the head of the man, or the middle of the woman.

6.)   The Imam begins with the takbeer, and raises his hands near his ears, and there is no difference of opinion about the first takbeer.

7.)   But Janaza has 4 takbeers.  The first, all scholars agree about raising the hands.  However, for the 3 that come after, there is difference, should we raise the hands with each takbeer, or leave our hands down?  There is no authentic hadith on this issue, and any hadith on this issue about raising the hands is extremely weak.

8.)   All the hadith about raising the hands go back to Abdullah bin Umar, and he would follow the Prophet in minute detail.  He would raise his hands for each takbeer, and this is the opinion of the majority of scholars.

9.)   Others say there is no raising of the hands for the last 3 takbeers, so for this reason, we should not make any disagreement about this in the Masjids.  There is no harm either way.  I personally do both, to show the people that they are both valid, and if Allah wanted to make the Shariah fixed in all issues, He would have done that, but please don’t make this an issue of disagreement between Muslims.

10.)    “No, this is Bidaa”.  No, you are wrong for claiming it is a bidaa, there is no daleel to say it is bidaa.  We should not disagree in matters of fiqh rulings.  Shaykh Ibn Taymiyya said, the differences in Ahkaam are more than can be counted.  If we disagreed on all the issues of Ahkaam, there would be no more brotherhood between the people.

If I follow Abdullah bin Umar, that is fine and good.  And there should be no difference between the people.

11.)     Now, after you have said the first Allahu Akbar, place your hands on your chest, like all other prayers.  As for the niyyaa, make intention to pray Janaza on the person who passed away.  Niyaa or intention is in the heart, there is no hadith at all that the Prophet said, “I make niyyaa to pray Janaza or Fard 4 rakats following the Imam, etc”  No, the Prophet never did this.  However, you can say this in your heart.  But speaking it out loud was never done by the Prophet.

12.)   Now, after the first Takbeer, read Surah Fatiha.  This is the first Pillar of Salat al Janaza, after the intention.  

13.)   Now the Imam finishes, and says Allahu Akbar.  You can raise your hands, or not, no problem.  Now, you read prayers and peace, Salat, on the Prophet Muhammad, pbuh.  The best way to do this is to read the Salat of Ibrahimiyya that we read in every prayer.

14.)   The Prophet is Sayyidna, our Sayyid, without doubt, but out of love, we follow him exactly that way he taught us in worship, and the essence of all prayers is following exactly the way it was narrated, like the adhan.  We say, ‘Ashadu anna muhammadur rasoolulah’.  We don’t say “Ashaduna anna Sayyidana Muhammadur rasoolallah”.  But in other than worship, we say Sayyidna Muhammad.  In worship, we cannot make anyone high other than Allah, for this is the greatest state of the Prophet, slave of Allah.  Allah says, “Glory to the One who took His Slave by night.”

15.)   We say, “Allahuma salli ‘ala Muhammad wa ala ali Muhammad, kamma salayta ‘ala ibraheem, inaka hameedun majeed.  Allahuma barak ala Muhammad wa ala ali Muhammad kama barakta ‘ala Ibrahim, inaka hamidun majid.”    It is ok to say “Fil ‘aalameen, innaka hamidun majid.”  They are both authentically narrated.  

16.)   Now, after the third Takbeer, we make dua for the one who passed away.  Any dua is fine, but we can read the dua that the Prophet made.  In Muslim, a Sahaabi said, “I heard the Prophet make this dua, “Oh Allah forgive him and have mercy on him, and forgive his sins, and wash him with water and ice and snow, and cleanse him from sins, like a white robe is cleansed of dirt, and forgive his sins, and give him a home better than his home, and a family better than his family, and a spouse better than his spouse, and save him from the punishment of the grave, and from the Fire, and enter him in Paradise.”   After hearing this beautiful dua, the Sahaabi said, “I wish I was that person being prayed on.”

17.)   Shaykh, I don’t remember this dua.  No problem, say whatever dua you remember.  Oh Allah, forgive him.  Forgive his sins.  Enter him in Paradise.  The important thing is to make dua for him.

18.)   After the fourth takbeer, make dua for yourself, and the rest of the Muslims.  “Oh Allah forgive me, and the rest of the Muslims.”

19.)   Then, in the end, while standing, you make 2 Salaams, Asalamualaikum wrt, and there are also narrations with one tasleem.  And they are both correct.

That is Salat al Janaza, is it hard or easy?  It is easy, it is 4 Takbeers (saying Allahu Akbar).  All standing.  Then you says Tasleem.

From the Adab, then, is to not stand outside of the Masjid because you don’t know how to pray Janaza.

Now, you know the great reward of praying Janaza, and when you pass away, you need as many people as possible to pray for you.

Muslim narrates that the Prophet said, “There is no Muslim who dies, and 40 people pray for him in Janaza, and they do not associate partners with Allah, except Allah will make them intercede for him.”  “And there is none who passes away, and an Ummah prays for him, and they reach 100 people, and they all intercede for him in dua, except Allah intercedes for him.”

Great blessings for those who have been prayed for in a large Masjid, or in the Haram in Makkah or Madina, or Masjid al Aqsa!

Allah will treat me according to His Knowledge, but if this Ummah of believers makes intercession for me, than Allah will overlook my faults.  Oh Allah, do you see the great merits of the Salat of Janaza, for the one who has died, and those who pray it.

Oh Allah, grant us a good ending, oh Most merciful One.

From the Adab of Janaza, is to walk behind, or in front, or on the side of it, it is all ok, and there should be no differences.

Another Adab, is to speed the burial.  Unless there is a need.  If the person who died requested that his children pray on him, then it is ok to wait a little, as long as the body isn’t harmed.  It is ok to wait for the morning if a person dies at night.
But it should be speedy.

What about announcing the death, is it allowed?  Yes, if the intention is that more people pray on the dead person, not for arrogance, or to be proud, or for fame and honor.

If you write a death notice on paper, or announce it on a microphone, so more people attend, especially the righteous people, that is good and allowed.

However, to publish and brag about the dead person, this is forbidden.  He is in most need of your duas right now, not the worthless dunya things.  We all leave, and he didn’t take anything with him to his grave, no money or position or honor, he will sit by himself in his grave, none can help him, not his wife, his child, his position, his power, only what he did of righteous deeds.

The Prophet said, “Three follow a Janaza, his family, his wealth, and his deeds.  His Family and wealth go back, and only his deeds stay with him.”

This is the Sunnah of Allah, the family must move on, and wealth will go to the inheritors.

Listen to the Prophet in the Saheehain, the Prophet said, “Speed the burial of the Janaza, for if he was righteous, then you speed him to goodness (to Jannah, there will be a window to the Paradise in his grave) and if he was other than that, then you are getting rid of evil that was on your shoulders.”

If he was righteous, then blessings is waiting for him, the pleasures of Paradise.

In the Saheehain, the Prophet said, “If the Janaza is carried on the necks of the people, the Janaza speaks out, if he was righteous, “Speed me up, speed my burial.”  And if it was unrighteous, it says, “Oh woe to it, where are your bringing it.”  And the Prophet said, all things hear it, except human beings.  And if they heard it, they would be thunderstruck.”

By Allah, I have heard the Janaza speaking, by Allah, I make an oath by Allah, I heard it saying “Speed me up.”  And I heard another say, “Woe to it, woe to it.”  

Fear Allah, Shaykh Muhammad Hassan, how is that?

I heard it through the ears of the Prophet, for if the Prophet informed us of it, it is the truth, but my eyes and ears could be mistaken.  The Prophet only speaks from revelation.

From another Adab of Janaza, is to wait by the grave after the burial in the graveyard, and stay around for awhile.  Why are we in such a haste to leave?  Because we flee from the Akhirah, we flee from what we have destroyed and cling to what we have built up of the dunya.

Yes, Abu Dawud narrated that the Prophet would stand by the grave after burial, and say, ‘Seek forgiveness for your brother, and ask Allah to make him firm, for indeed right now he is being questioned.”

Oh Allah, this is scary. Uthman, whenever the grave was mentioned, would cry.  He would say, “It is the first stage of the Akhirah.”

We ask Allah to save us from the punishment of the grave.  And whoever denies the punishment of the grave, then he will soon see the truth.

I explained the intellectual and logic proofs for the punishment in the grave, after the daleel from the Quran and the Sunnah, in the past.

I close with this narration, in Muslim, Amr bin al Aas said, “If you bury me, then stand by my grave, the amount of time it takes to butcher a camel and distribute its meat.”  Why? “So that I can seek your companionship, and know what I must answer to the angels who are sent by Allah.”

My beloved, I ask Allah to give us a good ending.  This is one Adab, and this is the minhaj of the Quran and Sunnah that teaches us Tarbiyya and Adab, and I ask Allah in this blessed hour to seal our lives with Iman, and don’t make the dunya the goal of our actions, and have mercy on the dead of the believers, and in this hour send down light and mercy on their graves, and enter them in flowing rivers and the trees of Paradise.

And make our lives increase in good, and death a parting from evil, and grant us victory over those who oppress us, and grant us tawbah before death, and Shahadah at death, and Paradise after death.

I say these words, and I seek forgiveness for myself and for you.

Asalamu alaikum wrt wb.

Please feel free to make copies of this article and send it to your friends and family via email or any other means, may Allah reward you for spreading the knowledge.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: