Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tarim, Capital of Islamic Culture 2010  (Read 2125 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: May 30, 2009 06:55 PM »

I kinda wish I could just take a tour of all these cities one day. Alhamdulillah I've been able to visit a few:

Aleppo, Syria
Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Alexandria, Egypt
Tarim, Yemen
Kuala Lampur, Malaysia
Baku, Azerbaijan

Tarim, Capital of Islamic Culture 2010
Yemen Times

SANA'A, May 24 — The countdown has begun as the ancient town of Tarim in Hadramout prepares itself to become the Capital of Islamic Culture 2010. The Ministry of Culture is expected to declare its cultural program to celebrate the occasion soon.

Tarim was chosen as Capital of Islamic Culture 2010 by the Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (ISESCO) at fourth Islamic Conference of Culture Ministers held in Algiers in December 2004.

Through its choice of a city of to head Islamic culture each year, the ISESCO aims to highlight its cultural contributions in disseminating Islamic culture and civilization.

Known as a moderate and wise center of Islamic culture, Tarim has long been famous as a beacon of knowledge in the south of the Arabian Peninsula. Students and clerics have flocked to the city's schools from around the world to study Islamic culture.

"Tarim is a city of knowledge and culture," said the governor of Hadramout, Salem Al-Khanbashi. "There are several mosques and palaces in Tarim that need restoration, and I hope this will happen soon. There is a committee whose job it is to prepare for this, but we haven't finalized the program yet."

This month the Cabinet approved the formation of a committee headed by Deputy Prime Minister of Internal Affairs and with the ministers of culture, finance, information, tourism, endowments, education and the governor of Hadramout to plan for next year.

Activities are to highlight the historical and cultural heritage of this Islamic city, but a detailed program of them has not yet been released. To attract tourism and media attention in the Arab and Islamic world, money will need to be invested in the city's tourism infrastructure.

The city is famous for its over 365 mosques and prominent Islamic architecture. The most famous of these is the Mihdhar mosque, with the distinctive architecture of its 150 meter-high mud minaret.

Tarim still retains its importance in religious life and the dissemination of the call to Islam. Many clerics have graduated from Dar-Al-Mustafa which has become one of the most prominent features of the famous religious city. Students from East Asia, Africa, Europe, Gulf States and Syria have traveled to the city to study Sharia and Islamic studies.

The current Capital of Islamic Culture is Kairouan in Tunisia. As part of the year, the city has staged a wide range of exhibitions, seminars and musical and theater performances in Kairouan, other Tunisian cities and even outside Tunisia.

Last Year, the Capital of Islamic culture was Alexandria.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: