Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: On this show, your voice will be heard - in the form of my voice. - Steven Colbert
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palestinian woman gets 20 years for helping Israel  (Read 1179 times)
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« on: Jun 25, 2009 09:45 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/25/palestinian-collaborator-jailed

Dressed in jeans and a tight headscarf, she stood in a makeshift courtroom with plastic chairs and ­tables and a television set hanging from the wall. She barely said a word. At the moment of sentencing, when the chief military judge in the Palestinian city of Jenin jailed her for 20 years' hard labour, Taghrid al-Tibi held one hand to her face in shock and sadness. Then she was led away.

Divorced, unemployed and only 21 years old, she was one of the few Palestinian women convicted of treason. Her crime: collaboration with the Israeli security services.

Hers is a grim story of an unhappy life and naivety. Enticed out of the occupied West Bank and into Israel, then plunged into a high-risk spying effort that lasted for five months until her capture, Tibi was lucky to escape with her life: collaborators, who are nearly always men, are so reviled among Palestinians that many are either shot in the street or sentenced to years on death row.

She did not speak to journalists after her hearing last week, but accounts from prosecutors involved in her case paint a scattered picture of Tibi's life. Originally from Tulkarem, she was living with her family in Nablus, in the north of the occupied West Bank. She attended school until the age of 16 but then her father ordered her to marry an older man. It was an unhappy marriage: she told the court that he had forced her into prostitution. Within a few years she was divorced and increasingly cut off from her family.

Several months ago Tibi met an Arab-Israeli in Nablus, named Mahmoud, who persuaded her to join him on a trip back into Israel. She agreed, though it should perhaps have raised her suspicions when he arranged a rare permit for her to leave the West Bank.

The couple slept together and then he took her to an office in Tel Aviv, where Israeli security service agents apparently confronted her with a video of her in bed with the man, the prosecutors said. They threatened to pass the video back to her family unless she helped them and also apparently promised her 100,000 shekels (£15,500) if she would pass them regular information about a group of militants in Nablus.

She told her story in a six-page signed affidavit for the prosecutors. It began with her name, date of birth and her background. Then she said: "Five months ago I met this guy, Mahmoud, I didn't know his full name. He was working inside the Green Line [within Israel]. I sat with him a couple of times in the park. He took me on a visit. We went to Tel Aviv. Inside the offices there was an Israeli commander and he knew everything about me.

"He asked me to relax for an hour and then he said he wanted me to give him information on 10 wanted men in exchange for 100,000 shekels."

She returned to Nablus and for five months she spent time with several ­militants, men she knew only by the pseudonyms they used to protect their identity. She would regularly head out to the Israeli military checkpoint at Hawara, on the southern edge of the city, and pass on information to an Israeli contact.

However, she learned little about the militants or their activities and her information was always of little value, the prosecutors said. None of the militants she met were arrested or killed.

Eventually the militants became suspicious of her questions. They confronted her, she confessed and then in May they handed her over to the Palestinian authorities in Nablus.

At the end of the affidavit, she was asked if she wanted to add anything to her statement. Tibi answered: "I'm really sorry for what I've done but I'm glad that I haven't been the reason for anybody getting hurt."

Tibi's case was passed to the military court and Major Alam Dalbeh, the military prosecutor in Jenin, sat with her in his second-floor office for an interrogation. She volunteered the entire story, he said.

"Her father married her off when she was 16 and her husband was corrupt and immoral," said Dalbeh. "All these things contributed to her becoming a collaborator, but the law is the law. Still, it was very hard for us to question her. She confessed very fast, faster than in any other case like this that I've dealt with before. She was very sad. She kept saying: 'I'm sorry. I won't do it again.' She said: 'I'm a victim of my father and my husband.'"

She was offered the chance to hire a lawyer to defend herself, but refused and was given a court lawyer. None of her family appeared at court for the hearing.

Prosecutors said her sentence of hard labour meant she faced years of menial tasks inside the jail, mostly cleaning and washing. She may have to serve the full 20 years, although it is more likely that she will be pardoned well before her sentence ends – the Palestinian president has the authority to pardon prisoners and often does so, usually on religious holidays.

However, since collaboration is such a reviled crime in Palestinian society and given that her family appears to have disowned her, she is likely to face another challenge in finding a place in society when she is eventually freed.

Dalbeh, who has prosecuted other collaborators in the past, said the crime was seen as "very disgraceful" in Palestinian society. "Many members of the resistance have been killed or arrested in the past because of collaborators, because of people like her. We are in the stage of building a Palestinian state and such collaborators are affecting the establishment of the state," he said.

Other cases had also involved sexual entrapment, Dalbeh said, or the promises of permits to enter Israel or visas to live in countries abroad. "Their tricks are very well known to us," he said.

"They used her like a slice of lemon," said Mohammad Hamashe, another prosecutor. "They squeezed the juice out of her and then threw her away with the rubbish."

At a glance

According to B'Tselem, the Israeli human rights group, 26 Palestinians have been sentenced for crimes of treason or collaborating since the Palestinian Authority was established in 1994.

Some prisoners have escaped or died in jail, others have had their sentences commuted by the president.

B'Tselem's figures show only one execution for treason – that of a 27-year-old man from Rafah, Gaza, who was killed in January 2001 at the beginning of the second intifada, the most recent Palestinian uprising.

But the statistics do not tell the whole story. Many collaborators are rounded up before they reach court and shot in the street by militants. Nearly all have been men.

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2009 10:39 PM »

salam

I can never understand Palestinians doing this to their own people. 

There are so many  informers all over west bank and gaza -  I hope they all rot in hell when they die.  Those people and their ilk are the "munafiqeen" .   

salaampeaceshalom
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2009 12:04 PM »

salam

I can never understand Palestinians doing this to their own people. 

There are so many  informers all over west bank and gaza -  I hope they all rot in hell when they die.  Those people and their ilk are the "munafiqeen" .   

I think she is remorseful, the fact that she readily confessed shows that in my opinion.  I understand that becoming an informant is a severe form of betrayal to your own people, but I think when someone is remorseful for what they have done, at some point we need to become forgiving.  Just imagine if our Lord wasn't the All-Merciful, I would hate to think what many of our conditions would be in the Hereafter.

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2009 03:02 PM »

salam

I hope they all rot in hell when they die.     

if she is as sincere as she seems, her 20 years servitude in prison, will make her anything but rot in hell. 

it's the self-righteous instead who will take her place in hell...

allahu alam....
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2009 04:49 PM »

salam

if she is as sincere as she seems, her 20 years servitude in prison, will make her anything but rot in hell. 

it's the self-righteous instead who will take her place in hell...

allahu alam....

What  does your last statement mean lucid? Why don't you come out and say what you really want to say?  What do you have against the self righteous ? 

The good news is that she did not really cause any targetted  killings.   Those who did so will rot in hell whether you like it or not.  Allah is most Merciful yes, but He is most Just.   
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2009 05:12 PM »

salam

I've read this article a couple of times, and my conclusion is this;

Poor thing has been crapped on from a great height by all the people who should have been her guardians and protectors.
She was the lured into doing something silly and blackmailed into behaving in a manner she clearly regrets.

Educate our children, ensure they are able to stand on their own two feet and pray they are never in a situation where they have to rely on the kindness of another human being. And for the love of God, why do people have children if they're going to marry them off to the most inappropriate of people, children have the exact same feelings as their parents.
If anyone is to blame the girls family and ex husband should top the list, if she goes to hell then she should be behind them!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2009 06:12 PM »

why do people have children if they're going to marry them off to the most inappropriate of people, children have the exact same feelings as their parents.

Totally agree with the above.  

I do think she was really naive and taken advantage of.  It is awful how her family have treated her, including her ex, but I do think sometimes people end up using excuses to justify their behaviour when really there is none.  For instance, she must have known islamically that she couldn't sleep with the Israeli guy (i.e. outside of marriage).  The fact that her husband treated her bad doesn't mean she can use that as a justification for doing something that she shouldn't have done.  Likewise she can't blame her family for making her sleep with the Israeli guy and then allowing herself to be blackmailed.  We have our religion to follow which gives us clear guidelines to differentiate between right and wrong.  Regardless of how her family and her ex have treated her, she must have known what she was doing; in Islaam we are responsible for our own actions.  However, as she's quite young, I understand that sometimes you can get way in over your head and end up in an awful mess, so confused that you don't know what is right and what is wrong anymore.  I feel sad for her more than anything.

Also, I really don't like it when people start to say which people will be in Hell.  Apart from the blasphemers and apostates, no other case is as clear cut.  The final judgment rests with God, and I think no one else has the right to make those kinds of comments. We have all heard/read about how one act has saved someone from the Hellfire, and at the same time, one act has condemned someone to it, despite all the good they had done up until that point.  At the end of the day, we don't know which people God will show His Mercy to and who He will Punish, so I guess what I'm trying to say is, let's not pretend otherwise.

Peace

timbuktu
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2009 02:25 PM »

peace be upon you

It is a sad story. And a 16 year old, getting married and being abused and pushed into prostitution, cannot be expected to behave with the kind of moral clarity that is being assumed everyone should have.

May she be pardoned soon and leave a normal life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: