// question regarding hejab
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: My son, when you pray, do it like a person who is bidding farewell to this world, and don�t assume you will have another chance to pray again. My son, know that a believer dies in between two deeds, one he offers for today, where he will get immediate blessings, and the second deed is what he offers towards the day of resurrection, and that is where he will gain the ultimate benefits - Muadh Ibn Jabal (radiAllahu anhu)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question regarding hejab  (Read 2534 times)
anisa
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
anisa has no influence :(

« on: Jun 26, 2009 09:41 AM »

Assalamu alikum,
One of my sister in islam wants to go to her husband in USA... but in our country the US embassy does not allow picture with proper hijab ..they required picture with ear and hair outline.

Is it allowed to take picture for passport showing ear and hair outline in this case?

Jazakallahu khairan

wassalamآ
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2009 08:03 PM »

wsalam,

It's good to ask a scholar sister. You can contact your local mosque and ask an Imam inshaAllah.

ws
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2009 11:33 PM »

salam

they usually make exceptions if head/hair covering is for religious reasons.  The face has to be shown for sure, so niqab is out of the question in the passport picture.  Make sure that the woman mentions to the embassy official that the head covering is for religious reasons.

take care
anisa
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2009 04:05 AM »

can any one inform me after asking local imam
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2009 06:39 AM »

I don't have anyone I can ask at this time. But the reason why you should ask an Imam directly is that they will ask questions like 'Did you ask the authorities and what did they say?', 'Is the travel a necessity?', 'What is the nature of the country she's living in', and other questions. It wouldn't be right for any of us to make that decision and make something permissible which is haram, so best to ask a learned person in your community that you can interact with. What country are you in? We can try to track down a mosque for you?

Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2009 12:00 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

Sister, I am very sorry for the discrimination that your sister is facing.  May Allah protect all the believers and especially our sisters who wear their hijab, by Allah you sisters make us all proud, you are the face of Islam, and may Allah protect you always from all the harms and evils.  I pray Allah makes it easy for you.

I will ask one of the scholars here about your specific situation and get back to you inshalllah.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2009 01:13 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

I just found two important resources for you.  The first is the US State Dept. guidelines regarding wearing religious attire for the Passport Picture.  It states on the US govt website:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/faq/faq_881.html

Can hats or religious headgear be worn for the photo?

Unless worn daily for religious reasons, all hats or headgear should be removed for the photo. A signed statement from the applicant must be submitted with the application verifying the item is worn daily for religious reasons.  In all cases, no item or attire should cover or otherwise obscure any part of the face.

The second is the case of a Sikh who was discriminated against and not allowed to take his passport picture because of his turban:

http://religionblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/03/postal-service-apologizes-to-s.html

My suggestion for you is to request a meeting with a higher up in the embassy, since many times the lower workers are local and do not know all the regulations.

You can print the previous two documents and explain (to the US consular, not the workers)  that the hijab is part of your religious uniform that you wear daily.

If you still have problems, please write back, and inshallah I will consult the scholars.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2009 03:10 PM »

Assalaamu alaykum, Sister.

I'm an American who's had several passports over the years.  I've always worn hijab in all the pictures (not showing any ear or hairline).  I've never had to sign any application saying that I wear it for religious reasons.    No one's ever bothered me about it.

Maybe the person at your embassy is just trying to be difficult.  Follow Brother Abdurahman's suggestion and ask to speak to a "higher up" at the embassy.
anisa
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2009 06:04 PM »

jazakallah bro Abdurahman sis rahma & jannah

sister 'll do according to ur suggestions,although,sister had contacted with our local bangladesh ambassy officer,so he told her that she has to take the photo without covering her ears.
CountlessBlessings
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
CountlessBlessings has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2009 10:19 PM »

Assalamu alaikum
Visa requirements are different from passport requirements.  For the visa from what I know they do require that the ears show but I've never heard of the necessity of having the hairline showing.  It must be the same in all US consulates so double check about the hairline.  For passports on the other hand you can cover your head and ears and it's not a problem as long as you do write them a note about it. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: