Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interfaith Brochure for Iftar  (Read 5028 times)
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« on: Jun 30, 2009 04:00 PM »

As salaamu alaykum

Has anyone had an open house/Interfaith Iftar?
If so did you have a handout and can you post it here?
Also any suggestions and advice for having one?

My new project....

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2009 07:47 AM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah, and may peace be upon Prophet Muhammad.

Honorable sister,

May Allah reward you for you eagerness to give dawah and explain Islam to your non-Muslim neighbors.  There is a very important article on the subject of inter-religious dialogue by Dr. Ahmed Kobeisy in a book called Islam in America (I believe Jannah has a copy).

I can briefly recall the following points:

1.)  'Interfaith' was an initiative founded by the Catholic Church aimed at uniting the various Christian denominations.  As such, the term is not appropriate for Muslim-Christian dialogue.

2.)  Various churches have agendas in their outreach to Muslims, and likewise, we must carefully plan our agenda when going into these meetings.  If we don't do that, we can end up compromising on religious points and 'water down' Islam.  We don't want to do this.

3.)  There are certain Fiqh aspects related to meeting non Muslims that we may not know:, such as that is forbidden that we stand in prayer with them, participate in their ceremonies, or wear clothes or participate in symbolism specific to their religion, such as burning candles or singing, etc.

It is very important that you are very knowledable in Aqeedah if you intend to have fruitful meetings with our non-Muslims neighbors.

If I come across the article, I will forward it to you inshallah.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2009 03:43 PM »

Wa alaykum as salaam wa rhamatullah wa barakatu
I appreciate your concerns and they are 'spot on.'
Just to clarify some of your points.
Actually I am no longer eager to spend my time giving dawah and actually shy away from it. I feel my time is better spent educating the Muslims. This happend shortly after 9/11 when I realized Muslims in my area knew little about our religion. (Main reason I started the masjid library)

I looked up the meaning of interfaith, after your post, and do not see why I can not use it. (serious comment, not an indignant response) Perhaps if I use it in the lowercase form it will not refer to to the church's initiative. Hmm... what word would you suggest for many faiths? This event is a continuation of the Tents of Abraham series our masjid is participating in with the various faiths in our area. Agendas? Absolutely... how can I deny it...even i have my own agenda when i am making out bookmarks, brochures and fliers!  I am not sure about other Muslims, but when i leave these type of gatherings i am always glad i am following Islam. However, and a whole different topic- I get so dissappointed with the Muslims and their social, managerial, and event running ways....

#3 kills me- because you are so right. and it ties right in with the the watering down behaviors of the Muslims. During these singing, candle ceremonies I just step back and watch in disbelief as Muslims participate. What are they thinking? So i do what is comfortable when i am helping the Imam with these events. Alhumdullillah I can usually find something to do that does not seems to given in to my Islamic principles, like sitting at a table displaying Islamic books or giving out WhyIslam brochures.  There was one day, a heart breaking day when I realized the Muslims will bend over for the Christians, when they will compromise their values. In a meeting a Reverend went to shake my hand in front of all the spiritual leaders at a round table. i hesitated and hesitated expecting the Muslim leader to come to my defence. It didn't happen. Ya Allah.

Everything in your post just reminded me of why I have backed off from dawah interfaith atmospheres. Aqeedah.. just the basics. Worship only Allah, prayers and charity. It is all I deal with- there is never enough time/opportunity to get into all the other stuff. A wise brother once told me a story about how his debates with other men almost took him off the path of Islam. This man is sooo much more knowledgeable than me- after his story, i took his advice and example and stay with the basics..

Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2009 11:30 AM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

Mashallah sister, may Allah reward you for your efforts, keep up the good work.  You are doing the right thing by giving the dawah and following the suggestions of the scholars.  Sh. Kobeisy prefers the term "inter-religious dialogue" to 'interfaith' when meeting with those of other religions.  

Also, reaching out to Muslims, as you stated, should be a priority for us.  There are many Bosnian families in upstate New York, (Utica for example) that need our attention, and we should not forget our Muslim brothers and sisters in our Dawah efforts.  

In the end, we turn to Allah, and ask Him, the Most High, to guide the hearts of the people.  Oh Allah, please accept from us.  Oh Allah, guide us and others through us, and let us be the means of spreading beneficial knowledge.  Ameen.

Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2009 03:14 AM »

Salam,

I just put up a brochure in the Ramadan section. Might be something you could use or get ideas from Smiley
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2009 02:28 PM »

If I come across the article, I will forward it to you inshallah.

As salaamu alaykum
Did you ever come across it?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: