// Annemarie Schimmel, Influential Scholar of Islam, Dies at 80
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Patience: The Prophet said: 'No one can give a better or more abundant gift than patience.' (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Annemarie Schimmel, Influential Scholar of Islam, Dies at 80  (Read 1181 times)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« on: Jul 01, 2009 07:02 AM »

Salaams,

Never heard of her before. Searched around on madina and found out that couple of her books were in recommended readings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/02/nyregion/annemarie-schimmel-influential-scholar-of-islam-dies-at-80.html
"Annemarie Schimmel, who became fascinated with the Muslim world after hearing Arabian tales as a child and went on to become one of the 20th century's most influential scholars of Islam, died last Sunday in Bonn. She was 80."

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2009 07:17 AM »

innah lillah wa innah ilaihi rajeoon. i always hoped she would convert. her books are full of such insight on islamic spirituality. she really helped a lot of people understand the inner beauty of many aspects of islam such as art.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2009 08:13 AM »

She died back in 2003 though.

"Published: Sunday, February 2, 2003"

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
lucid
Bro

lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2009 10:12 AM »

she was a muslim. 

that's what friends who talked to her and took her classes at harvard told me.  she openly told them

inna lillah wa innna ilayhir rajiuun
timbuktu
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2009 10:23 AM »

Salaams,

Never heard of her before. Searched around on madina and found out that couple of her books were in recommended readings

I am surprised that you never heard of her. I have been reading about her in the Pakistani newspapers all along.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2009 12:06 PM »

I am surprised that you never heard of her. I have been reading about her in the Pakistani newspapers all along.

Actually uncle timbuktu I've been very very lazy in recent years when it comes to following news(paper). I'm sure the paki print media would have covered her pretty well in her days.

I also miss reading these islamic forums which are full of such useful/filtered updates. I deem reading newspaper as wastage of time : p

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: