Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

It was the best of times... it was the worst of times... it was shaadi season time.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2nd Annual Journey of Faith Conference - Toronto - Review  (Read 1438 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: Jul 06, 2009 07:10 PM »

Just wanted to let the team know that I attended the Journey of Faith Conference in Toronto this last weekend. The organizers were expecting the range to be in the 7500 people (due to the recession) but well over 10 000 people showed up, including over 6500 who showed up at the door the first morning. Food vendors ran out of the most popular food items within 2 hours of opening their stalls! And the main hall was super packed with people. It's in the same centre that hosts the Reviving the Islamic Spirit (RIS) which get's about 14,000 people in the dead of winter. The main draw was Dr. Zakir Naik, who spoke at the last sessions every night; which resulted in the emptying of the bazaar area after maghrib and a quiet audience of 1000's as people ate every word he spoke. I was suprized by the number of people that attending, because there are two more conferences 4 and 6 weeks from now in Toronto (MuslimFest 2009, and the ISNA-Canada Conference), plus Muslim day at Canada's Wonderland and Muslim Day at Ontario Place - in addition to normal life (weddings, going to resturants, picnics, family gatherings, etc...)

Anyways, the other speakers included:
Dr. Abdullah Hakim Quick
Dr. Bilal Philips
Shaykh Waleed Basyouni
Shaykh Tawfique Chowdhury
Shaykh Abu Usamah Atthahabi
Shaykh Yasir Qadhi
Brother Abdur Rahim Green
Shaykh Said Rageah
Shaykh Yahya Ibrahim
Shaykh Abu Muslimah and
Shaykh Waleed Abdulhakeem 

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2009 09:25 PM »

salam

Masha'Allah! I could not attend unfortunately.  Which lectures did  you like most br. UBAB?

take care
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2009 04:50 PM »

ws,

wow i've never heard of this conference. it sounds really cool. i've always wanted to go to RIS since the very first year!! inshaAllah one day Smiley
UBAB
Bro

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2009 07:05 PM »

salam

Masha'Allah! I could not attend unfortunately.  Which lectures did  you like most br. UBAB?

take care

Each Scholar / Sheikh had their own special topic - so it's hard to compare. I decided not to volunteer this year "officially" so I got to listen to about 80% of the lectures.  I will give a detail email later about each scholar's talk, inshallah.

They are getting a better drawn than the peak of ISNA Canada - so something is diffferent here...RIS just took over ISNA Canada Convention - so RIS will be doing summer and winter conferences now...

ws,

wow i've never heard of this conference. it sounds really cool. i've always wanted to go to RIS since the very first year!! inshaAllah one day Smiley

The only drawback is that I didn't get the special convention parking pass - which was $24/weekend but ended up spending $60 for parking for 3 days (Came on friday for setup)

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2009 07:12 PM »

ws,

As-salam-mu-alaikum Sister Jannah,

This is the 2nd conference organized by this group. Just like Muslimfest and RIS, this conference was started by 20 something year old people last year (most of  original organizers of MF are still in their 20's - 6 years later, and RIS peeps are now in their early 30's) ...

The main attraction was Zakir Naik, but the most special time was almost after session during the day, someone would revert to Islam - There was 7 over 2 days!! People were mobbing the new reverts like rock stars, and everyone was bawling their eyes out because these guys and girls converted in front of 1000's of people and with the help of sheikhs who travelled from all over the world

If you do have a chance - do come next year - hopefully the ISNA conference will be moved back to it's rightly location as the labour/labor day weekend conference.

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2009 06:37 AM »

Salam Br. UBAB, thanks for the info. I had seen a trailer for this on YouTube and it looked so great. I hope it succeeds in the future and I hope I'm fortunate enough to attend it one day, insha'allah.

desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: