Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

What's in a name? That which we call a zahra. By any other name would smell as shariah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: life in Riyadh  (Read 1797 times)
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« on: Jul 11, 2009 02:55 PM »

salam

I am writing to seek some advice as I am facing a crossroads at the moment.  An opportunity has come up to teach Biochemistry at a university in Riyadh.  I would really like to hear from anyone who lives in Riyadh or who lived there.

How is life there in general, how hard/easy is it for women to move around when they can't drive?  

I am currently in Canada and have been here for about 20 yrs.  I visited Saudi Arabia for umrah long time ago and I have some relatives in Jeddah.

My son is 2 and a half and I am not sure how big an adjustment this will be for him.  It would be nice to go and get him started on Arabic early.  

Any ideas? Please make dua for me and my family.

Jazakum Allahu khairan.

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2009 01:09 PM »

I live in Riyadh... Personally I don't know how I would survive if I was a single woman out here - that too with a child.  I know a few sisters that are here from Canada - teaching ... They face huge challenges but I think they're here to make and save money .. I can put you in touch with them. 

Honestly.. it is a very difficult society for women to live in alone. Taxis are not always the safest mode of transport.. and just to open a bank account I needed a letter of permission from my husband - although I'm sure it would be different if you were working here.

I love it here but I would go insane if I wasn't married.

I'll try to give you a more detailed answer soon...
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2009 03:10 PM »

salam

Jazaks sis JustOne! Nice to hear that you love it in Riyadh!  I would really appreciate it if you put me in touch with the sisters you know. I will message you my email address.

My husband says he will relocate with us insha'Allah  if that is what I want to do.  The university said that he can be a dependent and come along with me.   But then I don't know how is the job market there for IT people. 

I was really surprised when they asked me whether my husband has to come with me, I thought that was the norm, but apparently there are many women who work there without their husbands  Huh?

Do women have to wear niqab outdoors in riyadh?

How are the attitudes of people in general toward non saudis?   

take care

Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2009 12:17 PM »

Salam alaikum

Um Aboodi, firstly mashaAllah, congrats Smiley

Secondly, I have never lived in Riyadh, but I do hear that things there are not as bad as people say... JO can give a mre realistic idea of life there?  I have a friend who is a teacher there, and she loves it!  She is single, and has an apartment there...they also have a driver etc, so moving around is not a problem. 

As far as I know, she covers her face there.  I have only been to Makkah/Madina/Jeddah, and recall in Jeddah that some women did not wear niqaab, just the abaya and shayla.

I have a few online contacts. Will IM you with details.  they are western women who live in the kingdom, and may be able to help you inshaAllah.

Keep well.  Dont forget, despite anything else, Istikhara is the way to go about these types of decisions.  I pray that Allah swt will make it easy for you and bless you with the best in whatever He swt decides is best for you.

Salam
S.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2009 04:17 AM »

ws,

I have an old high school friend who wasn't that religious but recently decided to change his profession from IT to teaching English as a Second Language and is now moving to Riyadh later this month!! So I hope the change is good for him inshaAllah. I just hope that the Saudi culture there doesn't turn him off to Islam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: