Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

What's in a name? That which we call a zahra. By any other name would smell as shariah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Motivational Speaker...  (Read 942 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Jul 15, 2009 10:01 AM »

Never thought of myself as one in the larger context of the sentiment.  As a mother of two boys, aunt to many nieces and nephews, I have motivated these youngsters in one way or the other over the years.

I am not a shy person, I have been a member of the debating and drama clubs in school many centuries ago, chairperson of the the regional and local staff association in our office, I am assertive, etc.

But being a motivational speaker to grades 9 & 10 girls of the Muslim Academy here in Nairobi seemed to be a daunting task.  The Headmistress is a friend of mine (her kids and mine went to school together in another school where she was a teacher).  She was appointed the Headmistress of Muslim Academy last year.  

She invited me to give a speech to the girls as she believed that I am a good role model and I will be able to motivate the girls.  I finally did on June 26, 2009.  It was quite an experience.  I had to carefully weigh my speech bearing in mind the responsibility and impact such a speech will have on the girls.  I decided to just be myself, talk of my life experience both personally and professionally, why it is important for Muslim girls to have an education and be the best in whatever they decided to do.  Why it is important for Muslim girls to have a career even in marriage. To mention but a few, I told them how fortunate they were to be studying in a Muslim school, where they can wear their hijab without fear, have a Masjid as part of the school to conduct their Salah.  I also told them that they can make that school the best not just Nairobi but in Kenya by working hard and giving back to the school by showcasing good moral standards as espoused in the Holy Qur'an, Islamic Teachings and the examples of Rasoolullah SWA and that Muslim women have rights that give them choices, e.g., to learn and work.  

There was another Muslim sister who was also giving a motivational speech like me.  She is the head of the Nusery and Kindergarten division of the sam school, is married with kids and pursuing a degree at the same time.

It was a humbling experience and I am glad and thankful that Allah SWT gave me the chance to speak to those girls.  I asked them at the end of my speech if anything I said was useful and the response was a Yes!  I gained too, from that experience.

I also thought of SrKathy at the time and thought of how she would have handled such a situation beautifuly, gracefully and humanly!

Everyday, we experience something new.  Everyday with learn something new.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2009 01:18 AM »

If i was only as good as you think i am. Thanks for the kind thoughts.
Actually i am not a motivational or a good speaker.
What Allah swt has blessed me with is a million and one experiences that i can share.
I think it is fabulous that they find out to be a good role model- what honoring words!
Giving back to the school- an excellent point!

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2009 08:01 AM »

What Allah swt has blessed me with is a million and one experiences that i can share.

And that is what I mean exactly.  These experiences make you a motivational speaker even if you are not one.

Giving back to the school- an excellent point!

This school, its management and teachers really strive to make the girls and boys (there is a boys' section too) the best students as well as the best Muslims.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: