Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenyan mosque jams mobile calls  (Read 2123 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jul 18, 2009 07:29 AM »

Every mosque in the world including the Haram needs to install this!!! -- J.

===================================

Kenyan mosque jams mobile calls

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8155628.stm

A device which blocks mobile phone signals has answered the prayers of some Kenyan Muslims.

Imams in Kenya have long complained that mobile phones constantly rang during prayers, disrupting services.

Imam Hassan Kithiye says he bought the machine in Dubai and it has been well received by his congregation.

A BBC correspondent in north-eastern Kenya says other mosques around Garissa town are now trying to raise enough funds to buy their own device.

One mosque has resorted to fining congregants $3 if their phones ring during a prayer service.

But this failed to solve the problem, imam Sheik Abbi-Azziz Mohamed told the BBC.

"We used to use that tyrant approach but it didn't work. Some people are so poor that they cannot even afford to buy airtime. We couldn't expect them to pay," he said.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2009 09:05 PM »

Salam - you know, I can understand when someone forgets to turn their phone off, but really, why even bring your cell phone? I know many are comning from work to Jumu'ah, but as for other times, at least turn it off or tell your co-workers" no calls until i get back" or something. For us students, I think its easy just to turn it off or put in on vibrate (which I usually do). Maybe I'm being naive when saying these things, but this is one of the things the puzzles me . . . if you have non-Muslim collegues, just let them know if its possible. I mean, its prayer time, you don't need a cell phone!! Anyways, good idea. Sorry, just needed to vent a bit.

desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2009 04:27 PM »

Salam

Sometimes it is the ring tone that drives people nuts. 

Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2009 02:11 PM »

Salam

Sometimes it is the ring tone that drives people nuts. 

So true!  More so in congregational prayers and especially during Taraweh!

Imam Hassan Kithiye says he bought the machine in Dubai and it has been well received by his congregation.

Good for him and his congregation.  I hope all Masjids will take the same action.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2009 11:38 PM »

Salam
I congratulate the people that pray in Imam Kathiye's mosque. Halting the network is the best option, because our attitude Allah's worship this period together with the inherent forgetfulness would always make us to forget. Some put their phones in vibration mode which distract them alone, therefore they are saved!

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2009 12:30 AM »

Agree with that. I think vibration mode also makes sounds. I can still hear it and it must affect the person who's phone it is as well. Why don't we all just plan to turn it off or put it on complete silence (no lights either) and then turn it on again when we leave? Someone should make a turn of your cell phones sign for our Community Toolbox  cellphone
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2009 01:11 AM »

Agree with that. I think vibration mode also makes sounds.

Yeah, true, I guess it can still cause a disturbance  and yes, distraction to the person whose phone it is. Will do that next time I have the phone at Jumu'ah.

desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2009 07:16 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

My mobile is so old that it's lost its ability to play ringtones so there's one alternative to switching it to vibrate  bro

I've seen the blocker in action and it literally wipes away any signal you have as soon as you come within range so pretty effective although I'm not sure how they could get it to work in the Haram given the size there!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2009 01:49 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
I remeber Shiekh Yasir Birjis saying in a lecture that singing/music have come to masjid also ,through ring tones.  I wish people put their cell phones on silent when in masjid even when not praying.
I can understand for those people who are on-call and they need to know if they need to go to work etc. But I guess most of the people who are on call do put theirs on silent as soon as they enter masjid Smiley

Wasalam
tq
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: