the awards ceremony is tommorow, but the results are now out
if you want to find your team's score go to:http://www.imo-official.org/year_country_r.aspx?year=2009&column=total&order=desc
if you want to find the official site of this year's olympiad go tohttp://www.imo2009.de/
if you want to see a video of a newsclip on german tv seehttp://www.tagesthemen.de/multimedia/video/video532442.html
if you want to see how the news was reported in bangladesh, see the front page of the newspaper http://www.eprothomalo.com/index.php?opt=view&page=1&date=2009-07-20
1) 5 girls on the uae team
2) bangladesh got 2 bronze medals. this is a remarkable feat. one of the medalists was a girl
3) next year the competition is in kazakhastan; as you might imagine borat is not invited
not so good things:
1) the uae team only got 3 points out of 252, but good try anyway
2) china was first again...yawn...with 221 points
3) all the bottom countries are muslim except for bangladesh and the former soviet republics and the middle income countries turkey, iran and indonesia. all the arab countries are at the very bottom.
in case you don't know: the int math olympiad is the premier contest of any kind for high school students. it is a ridiculously hard exam. it is spread out over 2 days. students have 9 hours to solve 6 problems. an outstanding performance is solving 2 problems in 9 hours.