Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Satiation weighs down the body, hardens the heart, does away with sagacity, brings on sleep, and weakens one from worship." - Imam Shafi'i
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Film Reviews] My Name is Khan  (Read 11729 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2010 04:53 AM »

wsalam,

thanks for sharing ur thoughts wcoastbaba. true they could have easily made both characters muslim but i don't think it would have the same appeal in india. india is of course majority hindu. could they ever sell a muslim/muslim love story? it's a very good question. i don't think they've ever tried it even? i think their way of preaching tolerance is showing all these hindu-muslim romances unfortunately.

i think also that in terms of 'religiosity' or 'how muslim are muslim bollywood stars'... that's just an endless path we'd never escape out of. i think we should appreciate the somewhat positive things they do for changing the perception of muslims/islam and leave it at that. they can't be fit into the molds we have. it's like that time awhile back some indian religious organization issued an 'individual fatwa' about something or other salman khan did. i mean really? out of all the issues and problems and whatever else going on in the world, they are going to go after someone who has a million other 'non-islamic things going on' and pick on a certain thing he did and say that is 'unislamic'. I just don't get it. I think ppl should just leave them alone in terms of questioning their exact 'muslimness' and if they do something positive we should be happy for it.

and i'm going to go way out there on a limb and i know ppl won't get this, but I contend there are some messages that can only be given by 'muslims who are bad'. or put in a better way 'ppl who are bad' sometimes do better dawah than those who are 'good' despite their respective supposed 'good and bad' lifestyles.

Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2010 04:04 PM »

Salam, I agree with you Jannah sis about having high expectations from bollywood actors or actors in general however for a person who claims to be Muslim praying to an Idol is a big deal, that's what he did and still does(apparently it's an annual ritual for him). Did anyone see Delhi 6?? There's a Muslim shopkeeper in the movie who prays to one of the idols alongside Allah...doesn't make sense.

Assalamu Alaikum
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2010 12:42 AM »

Nice article...

I removed the part where he gives away the WHOLE PLOT sheesh kabobs.  Undecided

================

For Muslims, a long-awaited good guy on the screen

By OMAR SACIRBEY RELIGION NEWS SERVICE

MY NAME IS KHAN

Showing at AMC Theatres Studio 30 Theatres, 2949 Dunvale; Bollywood Cinema 6, 2703 Hwy 6 South; and AMC Theatres First Colony, 3301 Town Center, Sugar Land

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — The 100 or so young couples, college students, middle-aged parents and grandmothers in head scarves that packed a movie theater could have been mistaken for an audience in Mumbai, Lahore or any other South Asian city.

They had come to see My Name Is Khan, a new Bollywood film that has shattered box-office records in India and is now making a respectable showing in the United States.

The film features dramatic plot twists and sensitive social subjects but throughout pounds home a tolerant message that the main character learned from his mother: There are two kinds of people in the world, the good guys and the bad guys.

And until recently, Muslims — at least those depicted by Hollywood — have nearly always been the bad guys.

Some of that, however, is changing. A small but growing number of films shown in the U.S. depict Muslims positively, or at least as something other than terrorists. Although creators say Khan is a love story above all, it has not been lost on audiences that the story's hero is a Muslim who preaches messages of peace and tolerance.

“It's nice to see a Muslim hero because we're so used to not seeing that,” said Azam Nizamuddin, a 42-year-old lawyer in Chicago. “Even more important was the spirituality of the central character. They really showed his commitment to God, despite his situation.”

Khan is showing in almost 1,600 movie theaters worldwide, including more than 100 in the U.S.

Set in San Francisco, the film stars Bollywood heartthrob Shah Rukh Khan in the role of Rizwan Khan, an Indian Muslim immigrant with Asperger syndrome. He courts and marries Mandira, a single Hindu mother with a young son, Sameer. They live happily until the 9/11 terrorist attacks, when Khan's Muslim name makes the family a target of discrimination.

.............deleted spoilers...........

The movie is replete with Islamic references and imagery that would be familiar to Muslims: Khan frequently cites the Quran; bows in prayer at the bus stop and in jail; and takes a compassionate lesson from the story of God's command to Abraham to sacrifice his son.

Jack Shaheen, author of Reel Bad Arabs, attributes the growing number of films with sympathetic Muslim characters to more Muslims working in the film industry and a greater cultural sensitivity in Hollywood.

Despite progress, Shaheen said the effect is modest because most of the films with sympathetic Muslim characters are independent, low-budget productions with limited distribution. Without reaching major audiences, negative stereotypes of Muslims will persist, Shaheen said.

**** spoilers for zeitoun ************

A broader-reaching film may not be far off. Director Jonathan Demme is reportedly considering a film based on the award-winning book Zeitoun, which documents the true story of a Syrian-American man who helped rescue residents of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina but landed in jail when police suspected him of being a terrorist.

**** end spoilers for zeitoun ************

Despite its relatively modest distribution in the U.S., Khan has also found fans among non-South Asian audiences as well.

“Tolerance is one of the most important messages that movies need to deliver,” said Stephen Marks of Cambridge, Mass., who saw the movie with two friends. “That's a message that should sell.”
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2010 08:05 AM »

*spoilers *

*HYPERVENTILATES* Well, first off, this kind of gave away a key event in the book - which I am still reading, so SPOILED  :'( :'( :'( but that's ok, I shouldn't have looked, but I started reading this book last summer, but now with studies, etc, I may not get to finish it soon enough. But from what I've read thus far, this would make a great movie if done properly. As Zeitoun is a great example of a Muslim and the fact that his wife is a convert to Islam adds another layer - that reflects the current events in the US. It's one of my favorite books and I haven't even finished it!

desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #29 on: Mar 05, 2010 08:10 AM »

Yikes... sorry bro!! I've added a little spoiler warning so hopefully it helps others. Like I planned to read that book one day too!
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #30 on: Mar 05, 2010 01:56 PM »

It's ok Sis J. I hadn't gotten too far into it, if I recall, just several chapters, probably less than 100 pages for sure, as I was studying last summer as well, so it was just here and there. I hope to try to finish it this summer. So you were also planning but haven't started, is that it? So it spoiled it for you as well then. I hadn't heard about Zeitoun during or after Katrina as it happened, but I guess I was going to see a spoiler before too long since it's a true story. I think I will still enjoy it when I do get the chance to finish it.

desibro
BABA

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #31 on: Mar 07, 2010 12:40 PM »

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #32 on: Mar 14, 2010 10:26 PM »

Salaam everyone in the community!  My name is faisalmsiddiqi and I am very excited to be a part of this community!  I am happily married a father of three beautiful children who live in Chandler, Arizona (suburb of Phoenix) with my wife and kids and my parents.

Wsalam,

That's alotta ppl living in one house!! Tells us more, pls write an introduction from the intro thread!!
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #33 on: Apr 25, 2010 11:48 PM »

that was pretty good.

for an indian movie that was pretty, pretty good.

i never understood why Shah Rukh Khan was so famous; i guess i do now.  blimey. that was damn good acting.

the story could have been tighter, and the ending was too abrupt, or not abrupt enough.  maybe they could have had SRK die at the end or something unexpected.  

i don't know too much about Kajol. my sisters just love her.  but i found her pretty annoying. there wasn't a lot of depth in her acting; not a lot of subtlety.  she marries him without even conflicted feelings about marrying someone with asperger's, takes on his last name, gives it to her son, and then throws him in the bin after her son dies.  what the heck?! that's just too much....OTT squared...

i really liked SRK's line about him having to pray, pray even in parking lot.  everybody used to do that before 9/11, but most don't anymore.  i know i don't.  i also liked the psych professor coming back to her class in hijab.  bloody hell, that took courage.  i guess it didn't hurt that she looked drop dead gorgeous in a hijab. (you may find this upsetting, but hijab can actually make women look much prettier.) i also liked the brother-brother get back together and that the sister-in-law welcomed Khan's wife despite everything (can you guess the probability of such a thing happening in our family -- our parents would disown us!!!).

i didn't like the fact they couldn't get a better obama look-a-like.  i also didn't like the whole stabbing -- in the hospital scene.  it was too abrupt.  what was the point of it?  the way it was done was way, way too amatuerish. the in-the-mosque scene also wasn't nuanced/realistic.  if somebody got up and started calling the leader of a halaqah a liar, people wouldn't suddenly stick up for the guy.  they would just rail on the guy.  and crazyman halaqah's don't happen so publicly anymore.  

in any case, i did like the movie for its message and its characters. it was fun, but not satisfying enough.  i really like the use of aspergers. man that was clever.  (however, i believe asperger's isn't as pronouced as SRK made it out to be. in that respect, it was way over the top.)

Akram
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
Akram has no influence :(

« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2012 11:17 AM »

All of us have to learn something from Khan.
We can also get peace if we think good.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: