// [Film Reviews] My Name is Khan
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Film Reviews] My Name is Khan  (Read 11683 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Aug 17, 2009 09:37 PM »

I am really looking forward to this film. Another example of how muslims who may not be practicing or whatever can do some kind of dawah in their own way. I hope this film is really good and helps educate people on some of the stereotypes. And also brings to light much of what happened to Muslims in the US post 9/11!

===============
From wikipedia site:

In an August 2009 interview, Shah Rukh Khan stated that My Name Is Khan is "not about terrorism, or 9/11. It’s about a relationship between two people, between an individual and the State, and between an individual and the country. In short, there the three important components: love story, Islam and a mild form of autism."[11]

In an earlier July 2009 interview, Khan also noted that the film focuses on themes concerning "the relationship between the Western world and Islam and how that has changed over the past few years." He describes the film as about "the journey of one family and how it changes because of 9/11" and suggests "we touch upon that in a very unbiased and educated way."[10] In another early interview, he also stated that, "it’s not about a disabled man’s fight against disability. It’s a disabled man’s fight against the disability that exists in the world — terrorism, hatred, fighting [...] My Name is Khan is also about Islam and the way the world looks at Islam but we are not taking any sides. We are only trying to say that there are only good people and bad people. There are no good Hindus, bad Hindus, good Christians, bad Christians. Either you are a good person or a bad person. Religion is not the criterion, humanity is."[9]

In late 2008, journalist Madhureeta Mukherjee (referring to the post - 2008 Mumbai attacks atmosphere in India) suggested in an interview with Karan Johar that, "My Name Is Khan starts at a time when Hindus and Muslims in India have united like never before." In response, Johar stated: "I think it’s an exceptionally relevant time, as the unity of our nation is of paramount importance, and I am very happy to witness such a movement in front of my eyes. We are all coming together to fight for a common cause – called humanity. Everyone knows that terrorism has no religion and it will never have a religion. As a filmmaker, I believe that I have a social responsibility and I promise to fulfill that."
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2009 09:53 PM »

Story from the AP of ShahRukh's real life experience of racial profiling Sad

============================
Actor's US 'detention' prompts outrage in India

NEW DELHI – India reacted with outrage Sunday after Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan said he was detained for questioning at a U.S. airport, though immigration officials denied he was formally held.

Fellow Indian film stars and political leaders condemned what they called "humiliating" treatment given to Khan, a Muslim who is well-loved in a largely Hindu country. One Cabinet minister suggested a "tit-for-tat" policy toward Americans traveling to India.

Khan said he was detained Friday by U.S. immigration officials at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey because his name came up on a computer alert list.

The actor is in the U.S. to promote a new film, "My Name is Khan," which is about racial profiling of Muslims after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

The story was front-page news in India, where the ability to avoid being frisked at airports is seen as a status symbol. Politicians, sports celebrities and film stars often claim VIP status to avoid security checks.

"My name is Khan? Too bad. SRK (Shah Rukh Khan) feels the heat of American paranoia" said The Times of India, quoting Khan as saying he felt "angry and humiliated."

Khan later downplayed the incident. "I think it's a procedure that needs to be followed, but an unfortunate procedure," he told reporters Saturday in suburban Chicago.

U.S. customs officials told The Associated Press that Khan was questioned as part of a routine process that took 66 minutes. Spokesman Elmer Camacho said Khan was not detained, "but it took a little longer because his bag was lost by the airline."

Enraged fans on Sunday, however, planned to protest the incident with a demonstration near India's Parliament.

"Shocking, disturbing n downright disgraceful. It's such behavior that fuels hatred and racism. SRK's a world figure for God's sake. Get real!" actress Priyanka Chopra said on her Twitter feed.

The federal information minister, Ambika Soni, angrily suggested that India adopt a similar policy toward Americans traveling to India.

In New Delhi, the U.S. ambassador, Timothy J. Roemer, on Saturday said the U.S. Embassy was trying to "ascertain the facts of the case — to understand what took place."

Khan, 44, has acted in more than 70 films, and has consistently topped popularity rankings in India for the past several years.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090816/ap_en_mo/as_india_bollywood_star_outrage
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010 08:01 PM »

Trailer:

This film could be really good... or really bad... guess we'll see Smiley Bollywood seems to always want to push the message of secular humanism or Indian nationalism (when they're not portraying Muslims as outright crazy terrorists) so I dunno how positive this film will be.

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2010 11:10 PM »

Salam Sis J - my fellow Indian hehe - as I clicked on, I was waiting to see if you said what you ended up saying on the 3rd post! It's true though, in the end, even if there is some pro-Islam vibe, it always ends up being about Nationalism, so our message doesn't get out so much. Anyways, let's see what happens. On the point of what happened at Newark, some in my family, though being fans of Bollywood and having met some of the stars through various connections (I've met Salman Khan; where would be a good place that can I post the picture - well picture of the pic, but its clear), some were happy that he was detained, to help lower his ego maybe. Anyways, yeah I'm looking forward to it to. My mom said that if a larger Western audience were to see Kurbaan, we would be really in for it and that's made by so-called Muslim Saif Ali Khan's producution house, which is strangly called Illuminati (not sure I yet believe in the secret cult/Shaytaan thing of the same name that the Arrivals series was based on, but maybe someone can enlighten me on that a bit). OK, sorry for rambling.

That is all :-)

desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2010 03:15 AM »

Asalam,
My name is khan does seem like one of those movies you will either love or hate, i still want to see it though. I saw kurbaan and I didn't like it one bit, they could have done much better. It actually angered me a little. Anyways I saw 3 idiots and I really like the movie so if you're looking for an indian movie to watch you could try that Cheesy

Assalamu Alaikum
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2010 08:39 AM »

Asalam,
My name is khan does seem like one of those movies you will either love or hate, i still want to see it though. I saw kurbaan and I didn't like it one bit, they could have done much better. It actually angered me a little. Anyways I saw 3 idiots and I really like the movie so if you're looking for an indian movie to watch you could try that Cheesy

YES! I saw 3 Idiots while I was in London over the winter holidays, I loved it! I was crying and laughing aloud at different points. I bought the music right after and I am definitely getting on DVD when it comes out! I too hihgly recommend it. Amir Khan's films always have a message, at least the recent ones. (Rang de Basanti, Tare Zameen Par - another one that highly recommend and now 3 Idiots).

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2010 07:19 AM »

ws,

i saw 3 idiots too!! thought it was great. aamir khan definitely makes worthwhile movies that are trying to change the public perception about things. i really like how he concentrated on the issue of cut-throat cookie-cutter job schools there. forcing children to be something they don't want to be is definitely something so inbred to the desi/muslim psyche Sad my favorite lines of the film was where someone said 'you may have a smaller house, a smaller car, but you'll be happy...you'll be happy' so true!!! also for the ladies...that was like the most gorgeous bridal outfit ever!! want!!
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2010 10:23 AM »

3 Idiots was really good

The thing that bothers me about the bollywood films is not nationalism but the fact that every time they try to a good film on brotherhood or try to make the relations good between the two countries they always have a hindu and muslim fall in love and then marry (that is usually the way for them to 'mend' relations) and put it as a good thing, although Islamically it is not allowed.

Other than that I commend them for doing a movie like this.

salaam
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2010 11:19 AM »

First review is out! I can't believe how positive it is.. and from this guy who reviews like every Indian movie... and he gives 1/2 a star to some!!
=========================================

Some spoilers included...

Movie Review: My Name is Khan

By Taran Adarsh, February 8, 2010 - 10:52 IST

MY NAME IS KHAN makes two strong statements...

* The first: B.C. and A.D. are designations used to label years in the Julian and Gregorian calendars. There's a third designation now - 9/11. Post September 11, the world stands divided. Terrorist outfits continue to strike in the name of religion and the common man, not even remotely associated with these groups, is bearing the brunt. The world is not a safe place anymore.

* The second statement: There're two sets of people in this world - the good and the bad. No matter how strong the evil forces are, good always triumphs.

MY NAME IS KHAN mirrors the era we live in. Not a day goes by when you haven't heard/read/watched news of terror attacks and innocents being killed. We live in turbulent times. Also, the movie states - and states very strongly, without mincing words - Not all Muslims are terrorists.

Karan Johar's cinema got more real from KABHI ALVIDA NAA KEHNA onwards. In MY NAME IS KHAN, the storyteller attempts to make a social statement and succeeds completely. At the same time, it takes no sides. If the protagonist says 'My name is Khan and I am not a terrorist', it also exposes those who misadvise the youth with inflammatory and rabble-rousing speeches.

Karan's take on the issue deserves the highest praise, since a subject like this is difficult to attempt. Final word? MY NAME IS KHAN is Karan, SRK and Kajol's best outing to date. Do I need to add anything more?

Rizvan Khan [Shah Rukh Khan moves to San Francisco and lives with his brother [Jimmy Shergill] and sister-in-law [Sonya Jehan]. Rizvan, who has Asperger's syndrome, falls in love with Mandira [Kajol]. Despite protests from his brother, they get married and start a small business together. They are happy until September 11, when attitudes towards Muslims undergo a sea-change.

When tragedy strikes, Mandira is devastated and they split. Rizvan is confused and upset that the love of his life has left him. To win her back, he embarks on a touching and inspiring journey across America.

Let me alert you. The story unfolds feverishly from the very start itself. So if you miss a scene or two, chances are you would've missed some vital links in the story. The fact is, there's too much happening in the first half. Although the narrative tends to get leisurely-paced at times, the wheels continue to move from one episode to another.

A number of sequences are endearing. For instance, the romance between SRK and Kajol is subtle, yet charming. But it's SRK's relationship with Kajol and their kid that's one of the best parts of the movie. Your heart bleeds when an accident occurs and their lives are torn apart. Kajol's outburst - first, when her son meets with a catastrophe and second, when she confronts SRK - are truly shattering.

MY NAME IS KHAN's strength lies in the fact that you root for Khan all through. At the same time, you are weighed down when he's in a vulnerable situation, especially when he's labelled a terrorist and thrown behind bars. You don't realize it, but the fact is that you, as a spectator, have already got entwined in Rizvan and Mandira's lives.

There's a slight hitch in the second hour, when SRK returns to Georgia to save a hurricane-ravaged hamlet. Also, the media exercise tends to add to the length of the film. Nonetheless, it's a minor hiccup that doesn't rob the film of its punch.

There's just one word to illustrate Karan's direction - exemplary. One of the finest storytellers of our generation, he deserves brownie points for deviating from 'Karan Johar brand of cinema' and attempting a film that knocks on your heart and stimulates your mind. With MY NAME IS KHAN, Karan takes rapid strides as a storyteller.

Shibani Bathija's screenplay is truly arresting. Shibani and Niranjan Iyengar's dialogues are noteworthy and many a times, applaud-worthy. Ravi K. Chandran's cinematography is awe-inspiring. Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy's music gels well with the nature of the film.

When a film stars two of the finest talents of the country, you expect nothing but the best. SRK, well, how does one describe his performance? To state that this is his best work so far would be cutting short the praise he truly deserves. In fact, no amount of praise can do sufficient justice to his portrayal of Rizvan Khan, who has Asperger's syndrome. His latest work is several notches above anything he has done before. The only compliment that I can think of is, SRK has a new screen-name now. Raj is passe, Rizvan it is.

Kajol is pure dynamite and casting her for this character was the most appropriate decision. No other actress could've matched SRK in histrionics the way Kajol has. In fact, SRK and Kajol compliment each other wonderfully well and this film only proves it yet again. It's a powerhouse performance from this supremely talented actress.

The film boasts of a number of capable actors, but the ones who leave a rock-solid impact are - in this order - Zarina Wahab, Sonya Jehan, Jimmy Shergill, Arjun Mathur, Parvin Dabas and Arif Zakaria. Sugandha Garg is confident. Navneet Nishan supports well. Vinay Pathak leaves a mark in a brief role. Tanay Chheda [young SRK] and Yuvaan Makaar [SRK and Kajol's son Sameer] are excellent. The American actors, especially the kid who plays Sameer's friend, deserves mention.

On the whole, MY NAME IS KHAN is a fascinating love story, has an angle of religion and a world-shaking incident as a backdrop. It not only entertains, but also mesmerises, enthrals and captivates the viewer in those 2.40 hours. At the same time, a film like MY NAME IS KHAN is sure to have a far-reaching influence due to its noble theme. I strongly advocate, don't miss this one!

4 1/2 out of 5 stars

bollywoodhungama.com/news/2010/02/08/13749/index.html
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2010 02:28 PM »

Wow, nice! I may see the film with my khala in London in the coming week, but not sure. Let's hope it gives a positive picture to non-Muslims who may see it. As for the acting, its great to hear that the performances are so good as well. Though my favorite actress is Kajol's cousin (Rani Mukherjee), I've admired Kajol's acting as well. Always intense, sweet and with energy, so looking forward to it. I am not a huge fan of SRK to be honest (though Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi was quite good in terms of his performance). Should be interesting to see how it does in at the box office.

Thanks for sharing Sis J

desibro
BABA

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2010 09:49 PM »

Has anyone seen this yet? From the reviews coming out apparently it's very pro-Muslim in the sense that the main message is that people are people and some are good and some are bad and it doesn't have anything to do with religion, and no religion teaches violence against innocents and so on. Which in my opinion is a great victory! Sometimes people don't understand that it's not about converting people or making them love everything about Islam and agreeing with it's ideologies. It's about letting people make their own choices in an open-minded, non-prejudiced environment. Abdul Hakeem Jackson used to call it "psychological space" for people to become Muslims. Without this psychological space they would never even come close.

Anywayzzzzzz, there's some kind of huge controversy about some remarks Shahrukh made about Pakistan or something and these extremist Hindu groups are going crazy and telling everyone not to go see the movie or they'll commit violence at the theaters etc... Ironic eh. But again not surprising at all, I'm sure they have to try to bring him down and this movie somehow.
faisalmsiddiqi
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2010 09:15 PM »

Salaam everyone in the community!  My name is faisalmsiddiqi and I am very excited to be a part of this community!  I am happily married a father of three beautiful children who live in Chandler, Arizona (suburb of Phoenix) with my wife and kids and my parents.  My family and I saw the movie "My name is Khan" yesterday and it was fantastic!  

*SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS*

Shah Ruhk Khan and Kajol are the stars of the film and they both do an incredible job!  SRK plays a Muslim with Asperger's syndrome (similar to autism)and he does a superb job in a very convincing manner and Kajol plays Mandhira SRK's wife who is hindhu and a very doting mother who adores her son Sam and falls in love with SRK.  The story takes a dramatic turn after the events of 9/11 to the worse for the Muslims in America and the Khan family as well.  Because of the rising anti-muslim sentiment Sam is a victim of a hate crime and tragically dies in the onslaught committed by members of the school.  Mandhira never recovers from the death of her beloved son and she takes out her anguish on Rizwan (SRK) telling him he must leave and not come back!  SRK goes on a journey and mission to meet with President of the US which takes him across the country and eventually lands him in jail after mistakenly being suspected of being a terrorist.  The entire movie was very moving an well done from top to bottom!  I highly recommend seeing this film and plus, no song or dance to give it more credibility!  Go see it inshallah!

*End Spoilers**End Spoilers**End Spoilers**End Spoilers**End Spoilers**End Spoilers*

salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2010 09:58 PM »

Can people please not give away pertinent storylines or at least put spoiler alerts to give warnings so people like myself, who do not want a movie to be ruined for them without seeing it first, can choose whether to continue reading someone's post. Sad Sad

Btw, faisalmsiddiqi, welcome.  Enjoy your stay but maybe amend your above post??

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2010 10:10 PM »

lol... i haven't seen the film either!! so i added a warning there for whoever hasn't seen it yet and doesn't want to be spoiled!! i think there's a spoiler tag we can install for the board... but how many films come out like this? Anyways just add a *spoiler* warning and a few lines so ppl can avert their eyes if they like Wink

UBAB
Bro

UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2010 07:21 AM »

As-salam-mu-alaikum,

I just finished watching this movie a few minutes ago and Raj Malhotra and Simran Singh great performers as Rizvan Khan and Mandira (DDLJ 4ever Smiley ) ...

There was some great acting by SRK and it was great to see the pairing with Kajol again...I'm not sure what the controversy was about - Muslims and Hindus are protrayed in both positive and negative light...This movie will start SRK legacy for sure. I thing that I might of liked more was if kajol was in movie more - for the main actress, she wasn't in the plot as much as you think she would be...

I was happy to see Zarina Wahab in the role of the mother - but it's harder to recognizer her in each film, as she had aged alot...There's a new star which stole the show - it was Sonya Jehan, playing as Haseena Khan. She was the glue that kept the story line together. She half pak / half french who's grand mom was some famous lollywood actress / singer ... but she is basically an unknown actress (unless, you love Lux soap commericals Smiley )

There was a touch of Forrest Gump in the later half of the movie, sometimes to the border of unbelievable, but touching nonetheless. The music and cinematography of American cities and landscape was amazing - they really focused on cool camera angles on this one. And yes - one of the few bollywood productions that does NOT have a dance scene in it - which is great - it's time that movies grew up from the Sound of Music era and become modern...

The theatre was packed for the 9:40 PM Monday show (finishing at ~1!) - with a equal mixture of Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs - I didn't dare go to desi theatre chains...all the toronto area AMCs were showing it but they where charging $12.50 CDN/ticket ($11.90 US) across the 500+ seat theatre ... top off with the one crying baby that cried for nearly 3 hours straight!

boxofficemojo.com ranks for it is #13 overall in North American Box Office - and made more money *per screen* than Valentines Day (which I thought was a horror movie)...which is amazing if you see how many theatres they were showing in at (almost nil)

Anyways, The movie is going to be a hit - SRK is creating his legacy - and we get to relive a bit of our youth via DDLJ with Raj Malhotra and Simran Singh together again...

btw - WCOASTBABA - my khala was sitting beside me and enjoyed it a lot...

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2010 06:17 AM »

salaam

it was a GREAT MOVIE.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2010 06:18 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

For those who have seen it, what do you think the reaction would be of a non Muslim who went to see it?

Is it favourable to Islam?

Is it particularly anti American authorities?

Does it open people’s eyes to things they would not necessarily be aware of?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2010 06:20 AM »

salaamz

it is mostly favorable to Islam, Non Muslims should definately watch it. There are a few shady parts but its a few
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2010 09:27 AM »

Here's my review Smiley

====================================================

Gosh you guys must know by now I've been anticipating this film since it was a lil' ole gleam in Karan Johar's eye Smiley A one sentence blurb in some Bollywood tabloid a couple years ago that said "possibly working on a new film about 9/11 and Muslims". Ever since then I wasn't sure what to expect, especially as all these new Indian movies came out featuring Muslims and terrorism (and all the usual stereotypes) over and over again. But they kept saying this wasn't a film about terrorism, that it was about love. And the way Shahrukh talked about it I knew it was special.

I read a few reviews and opinions after it came out as well and they seemed to be so varied I wasn't sure what to think at all. Some absolutely loved it. A few said they absolutely hated it. Others said they didn't like the second half, or they didn't like the last 1/2 hour or whatever. So, I finally watched it. And honestly I thought it was beautiful.

It does get melodramatic at parts, a little unbelievable at times, a little very bollywood, but I don't think even I could have made a better film portraying the things I felt and feel about what happened to Muslims in the context of 9/11. Some people may say this film is another pro-secular humanist triumph but it really isn't. It's really a film about love and faith.

Acting wise, how great was Shahrukh in this role. King Bollywood himself and I never saw king bollywood, I only saw Rizwan Khan. His speech and physical acting was perfect. I don't know anyone with Asperger's Syndrome but the way he handled it was amazing. Kajol was great. Even the usually weird 'foreigners' in Indian films were shown as real people.

I wish this film could have been made 5 years ago, but I think it would have never been possible to make something like this. It's taken this long to get us to this point where we can examine our past in context and give rights to what is due. And a huge amount of that with all objectivity has to be given to Muslims from whom they were taken away.

The main objective of this film is to show that people can be good or bad regardless of their religion or name. But one thing this film did which no other has done, is show Muslims as practicing people of faith. There is not that divide of good Muslims and bad Muslims ie the one's who are good are the one's not practicing and secular and the bad one's are the one's who are all religious. Finally normal views of Muslims and their beliefs. They pray, they wear Hijab, they live by the words of the Quran. They are not all terrorists. They did show some "extremists" in their own way, but no one can deny that they exist so I think they had to show that.

I am extremely disappointed though that this film is only being marketed to the Bollywood crowd and not as an independent film to Americans. I honestly wish more people could go out and see it. Almost 10 years from 9/11 and we finally have films like this giving me faith again in humanity. Seriously, go watch it.

***** 5 stars/5

*Spoilers**Spoilers**Spoilers**Spoilers**Spoilers**Spoilers**Spoilers*

Some things I loved:

-The use of hijab in this film and when Haseena says something like it's not a cover, it's my existence. Wow I coulda got up and cheered. An awesome Hijabi character that was actually smart, educated, beautiful, religious and kind!

-When Rizwan just totally pwned all the Muslims in the United States by just going and praying proudly at a rest stop. How awesome.

-That one amazing shot of all the people with boxes coming to help with that music in the background *wow so gorgeous, so bollywood

-Props to writer dude for finding nice quotes of verses of Quran and the story of Ismail.

-In the crowd when Rizwan says 'I'm not a terrorist' and the white guy next to him is like 'terrorist? what ur a terrorist? terrorist! aaaaaah!' and everyone starts going crazy... funny but too real.

-The Indian hotel owner guy... hillarious. Did you see the sign that said "Khan was here!" haha

- Mama Jenny and the glorious south. Haha loved her character and their scenes.

- I like how in certain contexts they spoke English with a voiceover in Hindi. Finally. Always hated when they showed everyone understanding Hindi in America!

- Rizwan singing the Hindi version along with the We shall Overcome in the church. That was a great remix.

- The coming together of the two brothers after 9/11. Just touching and reminded me how Muslims practicing and non practicing came together after 9/11 as well.

Some things I didn't like:

-The way he just walked into a downtown Mosque and they were preaching jeehad and hate... jeez.

-The scenes in the jail could have been a little more torturous. Having Rizwan say funny lines during it didnt feel like it was bringing the message home. But I do understand this film isn't meant to be a 'Rendition' so couldn't really show it like that.

-Rizwan marrying a hindu girl. Yes it's wrong, but I give them artistic license. Don't tell me you don't know any Muslim guys married to non-Muslims. Uh huh.

Lastly I've read some reviews where Americans were offended or just found some of the treatment he or others as Muslims received as unbelievable. For example the bullying, the airport, jail scenes, or even someone said the scene where people at the candlelight vigil moved away from him reciting the Quran was ridiculous and would never happen. I was at a candlelight vigil the night after 9/11 and dressed as obviously Muslim and the same thing happened to us. All I have to say is these are not over the top. They're a sampling. Stuff like that happens every day to us!! And YES Muslims have been killed because they are Muslims.

Anyways worth the wait in my opinion, the end. bebzi

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2010 09:09 AM »

Madinans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I just posted this my review on the blog and the screenwriter for my name is khan twittered it!!!! Holy Maulvi!!!!!!!!!! *faints*

just thought i'd share  Smiley  
UBAB
Bro

UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2010 03:05 PM »

Madinans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I just posted this my review on the blog and the screenwriter for my name is khan twittered it!!!! Holy Maulvi!!!!!!!!!! *faints*

just thought i'd share  Smiley  

Congrats Jannah! (aka muslim woman in ny)

Your review is being spreading all over twitter! Your review is actually one of the best one you posted - clearly your experience wriiting P&P reviews helped you shine...

Btw ... It seems that SRK himself tweeted you first about the blog!!! (@iamsrk)

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2010 08:11 PM »

No that was me... u almost made me faint again!! lol u can send @'s and they show up on the person's feed but it's not from them... eh... but totally who knew twitterverse was so impactful...within 10 minutes probably over 100 ppl read it and up till now hundreds more... wow maybe I should become a famous film critic!!  tv
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2010 04:00 AM »

salaam

great review

I completely agree with your likes and dislikes.. I felt they were trying to show a little bit of hurricane katrina with jenny and all..

ps I havent been on for days and I came back and found i'm still logged on
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2010 03:13 PM »

Karan and SRK release a newer verison of My Name is Khan for Non-NRI Auidence

19 February, 2010    
Karan and SRK release a newer verison of My Name is Khan for Non-NRI Auidence

This summer, My Name Is Khan (MNIK) will be playing for a non-NRI audience in theatres across the US. The version of MNIK that American audiences will get to see will be different from the one released so far in India and overseas for NRI audiences.

Confirms Shah Rukh Khan, “Yes, we are cutting down the length of the film for the American audience. Their requirements are different from the traditional audience for Hindi cinema. We’re in this way extending the life span of a Hindi film with first a worldwide release for Indian audiences and then phased out releases for non-Indian audiences.”

Says the film director Karan Johar, “Yes, the version for Americans will be shorter though not radically different. We’ve left the American version’s editing to the film’s editor Deepa Bhatia. She understands what would be palatable to American audiences. She has edited films for everyone, from me to Govind Nihalani.”

Karan admits it’s not the songs nor the length that will determine the shape and size of the American version of MNIK. “The first thing we heard from the American market is that they love the songs. So the songs stay. Deepa Bhatia is looking at what to remove.”

This is interesting... could be good for those who don't like the over-the-topness of Bollywood....wonder what they should take out... they should do focus groups with Americans who watch it and see how they can fix it.

*spoiler* Maybe the Georgia flood scenes and he could speak in English at the church or mama jenny could say "go ahead baby and speak in whatever language, we'll understand..." /spoiler
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2010 07:03 PM »

Oky doky - first off - Mubarak ho Sis J! That is such awesome news! I kinda don't like Twitter - though I have been encouraged to get an account by another online Sis, I guess I'm just too old to want to bother with signing in to yet another account, etc etc. And all that silly notattion too! Yuck, thoo!

Anyways, about the movie - as I mentioned, I watched it with my khala in London - on Feb. 15th to be exact. I think the overall message was great - be compassionate to all, regardless of faith, I think we need to show more of that in our lives, yes, be good and protect your fellow Muslims as long as they are in the right and are just, but we also need to show the true Spirit of Islam by helping others - so naturally I loved the Mama Jenny story, though the idea of going out there to risk your life and then many others' lives when the rest of the community came in was a quite unrealistic it seemed to me, but again, good message.

Yes, I too, loved the inclusion of the Hz. Ishmail story and yes, while the scene did include Muslims preaching violence and such, I think that was the appropriate setting with which the story of Ismail could be countered against, but I do understand Sis J, that it wasn't a favorable seen, but I'm sure that is going on in some mosques.

I also liked the scene post-attack where SRK was saying Surah al-Fatihah, though I can understand how it scared the non-Muslims that he was around - maybe he could have said it in English, but I think it was a realistic scene on the whole.

Aside from Kajol's and SRK's character, I loved the bhabi (Jimmy Shergil's wife) character played by Sonya Jehan - it was a small but important role, showing a kind heart when SRK came to their house and also of course, how she dealt with wearing the hijab after the attacks occurred. That was a lovely scene when Jimmy Shergil said that Allah would understand if she took off the hijab.

Of course, how can one not love the acting by both SRK and Kajol? I'm not a fan of SRK really, both acting or otherwise, but this was one of his exceptional performances and I think if one is going to portray someone with a certain illness such as Asperger's, its important that they are up to the task.

As for the negatives - I think, as my khala pointed out - the whole business of the Bush and Obama indirect references (though I understand the need given the premise of SRK's journey), it seems a little over-dramatic and childish when the headlines were flashing that an African-American was elected etc. It took away from the elegance that the film had.

As Sis J said - the fact that SRK's character was married to a Hindu - while its no surprise, did they have to even take that away from us, that the main two characters couldn't be Muslim? Also another reason I don't like SRK - that is his life story - marrying a Hindu (Gauri Khan) against his parents wishes - on the BBC Asian Network, there was a video from the weekend Bollywood show that had all three main people (SRK, Kajol and K. Johar) in front of a live studio audience, Q&A etc, and KJ was saying how SRK's real life love story was similar to that shown in the movie - though here its the brother who is objecting. So while SRK has done a good job portraying a Muslim as far as can be expected - his real life kinda takes the "coolness" away a bit - I guess that sounds harsh and/or judgmental - sorry, its one of my weaknesses and I guess I shouldn't waste even that on a Bollywood movie of all things.

Lastly, my khala thought that the movie was total rubbish as we watched and afterwards, but as news from our family back in the States came (they all liked it and sadly, the only person who hadnt seen it, including my family in Pakistan, where my other khala accompanied her daughter (my Baji) and friends to see the movie in Pakistan in cinema - one of the rare times when the govt. allowed a Bollywood movie to be shown without secret, only my Nani hasn't seen it), she started to change her tune. Even she and my mom thought that the movie would mostly appeal to American Muslims, but in fact, its doing well in India too and with the news that Jannah has shared with us, it should be interesting to see if that success continues in the US release.

One more thing - the music was lovely, but I didn't buy it, though I had the chance. Will just listen to it on the internet if anything.

That's what I have to say so far.

desibro
BABA

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: