Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Now playing: Famous Muslim literary quotes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What do u guys eat for suhoor/iftar?  (Read 5474 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Aug 25, 2009 10:10 AM »

salams,

I used to eat only cereal every day but it just seems too hot in the summer to do that now. Any ideas of what else I could eat? Yeah I ate a slice of pizza today for suhoor  fez
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2009 11:09 AM »

salam

Our iftar starts with soup, then salad, then main course whatever I cooked for the day.  We sometimes have samosas as an appetizer too. 

Yesterday, I was full after the soup and salad and skipped the main course altogether.  I think this is how I will continue for the rest of the month, soup and salad because quite frankly, I almost fainted the first two days after eating the main course at iftar (usually rice with some kind of vegetable stew or chicken) - eating a full meal at iftar was such a shock to my system. 

wassalam
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2009 12:08 PM »

no no... don't do cereal for iftaar!!! you have to make iftaar special.  i'm on a diet, so while making all that traditional deep fried stuff for my husband, i've been experimenting with some cool new things...

last night was a nice tuna and avocado sandwich (brown bread, of course).

i also LOVE samosas - so i've been baking them in the oven for myself - they actually turn out really good, especially the spinach and feta ones.

pita wraps - with pretty much anything inside.

asparagus.... i LOVE asparagus ... just blanche them, and then drizzle balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. you can eat that with reeeeeeally toasted pita crumbled into the mixture, and maybe cut up a tomato, and it's totally a whole meal.

daal.  yeah for real.  daal is like the best desi meal on the planet. have it like soup ... it can even be eaten cold (is that gross or what?).

fruit chaat is healthy (non?) - i just don't put in all the masala for myself - and instead eat it with yoghurt or just plain.

and actually - the pizza is not a bad idea!!! like making small ones on pita bread...

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2009 01:05 PM »

salam

Fruit lots and lots of fruit.

And my mum makes me drink that milky rose flavoured drink thing, apparently it's good for you after a day's not eating!!!

We eat the usual things, I make a proper meal, so we had daal chawal yesterday, a meat curry the day before, fried chicken today, chicken fajitas tomorrow...and then I'm not sure what I'm doing the day after. I make one sweet dish too, mostly it's jelly, because apparently according to my girls one must have jelly in ramadan........

I make sure I eat a proper meal and then drink water till I go to bed. I don't do the whole eat snacks, then a meal, then lots of different sweet things, I just physically can't.

Oh yes and I have the obligatory cup of chai (but that's my own private addiction).

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2009 06:18 PM »

salaam,
Every day is different for me.

Iftar: I need soup, just havent had time to make any. Maybe today. But I have some fruit most of the time, had some whole wheat pita with some olive tapenade and hummous the other day. The olive tapenade was so good. I usually drink some tea too.  Or have a handful of nuts..almonds etc.

I usually also eat dinner. Whatever mom cooks. Yesterday was a fish dish. I cant eat anything else after that. Its usually water for the rest of the night and that's it.

The other day, my sister made some asparagus etc. Justone, it is yumm!

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2009 07:12 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

I used to eat only cereal every day but it just seems too hot in the summer to do that now

I thought I read this wrongly and you said cereal for suhoor which didn’t seem so bad but for Iftar?

Must be pretty good cereal if you ask me!! Wink

And my mum makes me drink that milky rose flavoured drink thing, apparently it's good for you after a day's not eating!!!

We were talking about this ‘milky rose flavoured drink thing’ [ermm..is that the proper technical term???] in chat the other day.

I have to admit I’d given up drinking the stuff for a few years but this year I rediscovered it and now can’t go without a couple of glasses after Taraweeh!! The packaging should have a health warning over the dangers of addiction if you ask me!!  bro

I wonder if after reading this post, we will see the sales of asparagus rise? The Madina effect perhaps? Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2009 08:24 AM »

Sorry you're right I was confused... too much staying up at night Smiley Cereal for Suhoor. For Iftar normal good food... sometimes toooo good. Someone sent us wedding cake today and I already ate some baklava and tarts stuff after the usual rice and chicken hungry
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2009 10:44 AM »

Salam alaikum

I feeling hungry, so decided to post about Iftaar Wink lol

We break our fast with dates (they are nice, soft, juicy ones, locally grown in the deserts of Namibia).  We usually have pies (not the big american pie thingies, like cocktail size ones), or samosas with salad.  Then we pray Maghrib, come back, eat soup.  There is always something else, like chicken and potatoes, or fish or something, but I just cant eat that much, subhanAllah.

I dont eat anything after Taraweeh, just drink some juice or something.  I have heard of people having whole chickens with chips (french fries) AFTER taraweeh!! OMG...!

Ok, so just thinking of food made me feel better! alhamdulillah, that we have a choice of the best food by Allah's favour.  We must make an effort to feed the less fortunate, especially in this holy month!

Salam and Iftaar shahi
S.
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2009 11:36 AM »

rooh afzah!!!  Smiley

omg.. i love it! but not with milk ... with water and lots of lemon.
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2009 04:37 PM »

What is this rooh afzah thing. I was in Guyana a few weeks ago and saw them selling it there too! Maybe I buy it and try it out.

Oh yeah, so for suhoor...(I love talking about food). What do I eat:
Yogurt....sometimes with fruit, this week with honey drizzled.
whole wheat toast or bagel. Had a bagel with fried egg today. And a date, tea, apple juice. Smiley I seem to eat  a lot.

Think this weekend along with soup, i'm gonna make some sardine and tomato sandwiches:) Dont snicker, it may be good:) Check it out: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/08/sardine-sandwiches-with-tomato-jam-and-fresh-cheese-recipe.html#continued

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2009 08:53 PM »

I tried roohafza once and thought it tasted like cough medicine Sad But millions are addicted to it as a Ramadan drink? I think it's an acquired taste??  Cheesy And asparagus really?? That weird shaped vegetable thing?? How do people even cook/eat that?
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2009 08:56 PM »

salam

Rooh afzah, is basically rose flavoured syrup.... it is isn't it Sr. JO? Hang on will go check ingredients

Okaaay; refined sugar, distilled aqua(!), extracts of fruits, herbs, keora(a scented flower thing), citrus flowers and rose...

And whaddaya know, it even has lemon drink method on it (I never knew). My mother will never let me drink it with lemon in it, apparently milk is good for you after a days fasting. Must admit it does help those prone to indigestion or heartburn.

We make it up with milk, and I add loads of full fat Devonshire vanilla ice cream, to diguise the milk taste (I really do not like milk).
My mum drinks it as falooda, so her drink is about three different colours and looks like it has tadpoles swimming round in it!!!!

For suhoor, I either have a small portion of leftovers and chai, or cornflakes and chai, and a banana because bananas are good for energy, and they make me feel full for longer....

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2009 11:23 PM »

salam

Sr Jannah, asparagus is a riiiillllly expensive weird looking vegetable you know!!!

Wassalaam

sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2009 12:00 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum, good topic,
 You know, when I was single, I spent a lot less time cooking in the kitchen than after getting married. Let's just say, husbands from "back home" tend to like their Ramadan suhoor/iftaars as elaborate as back home. Not sure about the % there, but I think you get my point.   Wink

Suhoor:
-I used to do the cereal thing if I had little time left. Now, it's Lebanese foul, Haloum cheese, Labne cheese, eggs, etc. Not all on one day, mind you. Foul is actually really good, since it's hight in protein to keep you full. My family has sort of adopted a lot of my husband's cousines.

Iftaar (very similar to umaboodi):
-Dates and drinks
-Maybe some lil appetizers like samosas, pakoras, soup (lentil/dhaal!), Lebanese Fetteh, Fattoush salad or cut veggies. And yes, this is usually enough for some.
-Main meal: could be anything, but tends to include meat (much to my cooking dismay).
-We tend to eat after maghrib prayers, but this year, I've noticed eating after Taraweeh seems easier on me. Plus, it's what all the Qaris do before leading, since I think a full meal kind of bothers them when reciting. I don't have that problem, but I seem to be more energetic with just appetizers/dates, than with a full meal at iftaar/maghrib time.

To each his/her own!
sofia  pinkhijabisis

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2009 03:52 AM »

Salaams,

I get drunk with rooh afza at iftar  bebzi

I have it with milk and soda (sprite)

Actually its Jam-e-shereen, but lets call it rooh afza for the fun of it...

Oh and whatever I have for suhoor, I try to have few spoons of curd (yogurt?) afterwards, they say it helps you feel not so thirsty during the day in this hot summer.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2009 11:14 AM »

Salam alaikum

Its that time of the day again...hahaha:)

Oh rooh afzah?  we just call it falooda, i think?  pink stuff with sago-like bobbles with black centres floating around in it?  those little bobbly-goodies freak me out!  We have it maybe a couple of times a Ramadaan, not everyday...

Sofia, did you *have* to mention fattoush?  Embarrassed man, I miss the stuff.  Every time we tried to make it at home, it just doesnt taste the same!!  I need to take a trip to the M/East...miss my fattoush a LOT!!!!  Foul is very good for you they say..another thing we dont really have here...

ok, got my dose of food talk for the day
enjoy ur iftaars - in Malaysia it should be iftaar already! Smiley
Salam
S.

Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #16 on: Aug 27, 2009 12:32 PM »

For me, first thing I put in mouth for iftar is dates!  Love them.  Just have to force myself to stop.  Then juice (though I prefer plain water).

Maghrib Salat follows.

The next thing is a cup of chai (can't do without it) with samosas - home made and taste heavenly during Ramadan and "Mandazis' or 'Mahamri' - now don't know what it is called in English. After a while, a cup of porridge (oats) - love it with black pepper.

The main course which is an alternate dish every day may consist of white rice, or rice pilau or pasta, or macaroni, or chapati.

I am already full before the main course hence sometimes skip it because after taraweeh, I can't eat anything that has stew or is fried.  Can't even stomach somosas after taraweh.  So, a cup of chair or another one of porridge will do before I go to sleep.  No one wakes up for suhoor in my household.  There are only 3 of us - my sister, my niece and I. 

Note:  I am hopeless as a cook.  But when it comes to eating - I am full hope!!!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: Aug 27, 2009 02:06 PM »

Ooh, food talk, I have to join in!

suhoor: well, I've been varying what I eat.  I ate toast, fried egg and beans today, ooh and a mince meat puff pastry my mum made.  And a ton of water.  Had a bit of a stomach upset afterwards which made me feel thirsty. I think I'll be changing my foods to something else more agreeable.

Iftar:  I love my dates so I have two of those and any juice (usually mango, yum).  Then we have samosas, chana (chickpeas) with puffed rice, pakoras, salad, pasta.  I eat a small amount of everything. I don't really eat anything else afterwards.  I might snack on cheese and crackers but that's it.

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
timbuktu
« Reply #18 on: Aug 27, 2009 05:48 PM »

AoA

Sister Shahida, Rooh-eAfza is an invigorating drink made by Hamdard laboratories, India and Pakistan. It is dark red in color. Jame Shirin is a similar drink made by another Tibbi laboratories. There are herbs and sugar in it. It is mixed with lots of cold water or milk.

Sister Halima, taking suhoor has extra merit. There is a Hadith to the effect that Jews do not have suhoor, while we Muslims should eat it. My wife also used to abstain from suhoor, but after she learnt of this Hadith, she makes sure she has something to eat, however small.

I had decided not to fast this year: Loss of weight, Calcium deficiency, stomach unwilling to accept any food - I thought fasting would hasten further deterioration in health. A day or two before Ramadan began, the wife said, "you know you can fast; it is going to be easy."

I hadn't thought of it being easy or not. The summer heat and the long hours would have been difficult to bear, as the monsoons had not come in time this year. Just before Ramadan, suddenly there  was a downpour, and it looked as if the monsoons had only been late in arrival. So the days would be long but bearable. Calcium supplements and milk can be taken at suhoor and iftaar.

At suhoor, I have a roti or two with just a hint of oil on it. This helps avoid a mid-day feeling of uneasiness in the head. Nowadays I have substituted one or two slices of toast for roti. I put a small amount of butter on it. I use a food supplement, Ensure, mixed in cold water. Have more water (4 glasses) usually mixed with Rooh-e-Afza. One boiled egg (sometimes with and sometimes without the yolk), a little minced meat, and a cup of tea. This is later followed by a spoon of isapghol with a glass of water.

This year a friend is residing with his family on the first floor, and they told us to have our iftar with them during the month. My wife said she will prepare pakoras. Today she has made kabuli chanay and samosas as well. To break da fast, I have a date or two (or three Smiley ) and a drink of ABOCAL  (Calcium supplement with an orange taste). The hosts also make pakoras but with corriander seeds. This is standard in Pathan and Punjabi cuisine. We Urdu walas do not like so much corriander seeds in our food. Then the hosts also make kabuli chanay and fruit trifle every day. These with mint raita (mint leaves blended in yoghourt). So we have pakoras and chanay and fruit trifle. In between an orange drink - Tang (mixed in cold water). Then we say the Maghrib prayer at home.

After the prayers, we have tea. I also take a spoonful of isapghol to keep my stomach in line, although the wife has started making food somewhat bland to accommodate the complaints of my stomach.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: