// Birth of a baby?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength while loving someone deeply gives you courage. - Lao Tzu
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Birth of a baby?  (Read 884 times)
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« on: Aug 27, 2009 06:31 AM »

Assalam Ailkum.
Could someone please assist me.
I have always learnt that when a baby is born it should be bathed according to Ghusul and then the Adhan given in both ears. this should be followed by giving something sweet in the babies mouth, usually Honey.

Here in the UK in the NHS hospitals, it is now the practice to wipe the baby only  with water and not fully bathe them.If there are no further problems the mother and baby are discharged within 24 hours. Honey is not permitted due to the threat of Botulism.

Recently I have been told by someone else that the first words the baby should hear is the Shahada. Please someone, guide me as to what is correct.  The babies mother is not Muslim and I am anxious that things are done correctly according to Islam.
May Thanks.
Ma Salaama.

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2009 03:45 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

1.)  I do not know of any Sunnah regarding giving a full ghusl to a newborn baby, rather you can wait until later to bathe the baby and there is nothing wrong with that.  Ghusl is only required for adults.

2.)  The Sunnah is to place a small piece of chewed date on the tongue of the baby, not honey.  This should be done by a righteous person in the community, and it is known as Tahneek.  At does not have to be done at the moment of birth, but can be a little while later.

3.)  As for reading the adhan in the ear of the baby, there are hadith that state this, and the Shahadatayn are part of the adhan, so it is best to adhere to the Sunnah.

I hope this helps you dear brother.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: