// Work?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "The science of hadith is the noblest means of attaining closeness to the Lord of the Worlds" - Imam Nawawi
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Work?  (Read 2041 times)
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« on: Aug 28, 2009 08:22 AM »

Salaaam Alaikum

Ramadhan Kareem to everyone. I apologize about complaining, I really do...but I feel stuck.

I worked at this place for a little over three years, and I despised it. In order to keep myself from dying of anxiety, I decided to switch over to another department a little over four weeks ago. I searched on and off for other jobs this past year, as I finished school last year in August, and came to nothing. I was rejected from some jobs, and lazyness took over in other cases and I didn't apply for as many jobs as possible.

This job is at a collections call center, for mortgages. Since Friday I have been directly speaking to home owners, and it is so difficult for me. I spoke to a  lady yesterday who kept asking me why the bank wouldnt just take her house away. She was an elderly woman who was struggling a lot financially because of the fraud her husband committed. I am sure she started crying on the phone, and at that point I felt extremely low. I couldn't do anything, and she can't do anything, but the calls will keep continuing and have been for the past two years, until her house hits foreclosure. I hate dealing with all of this.

I am not sure what I thought when I was getting myself into this position. I wanted out of my old position so I was running for this one w/out actually considering everything.

This is really just to vent and request duas. We all struggle, but the past couple of weeks I have come to such a low point, I cant breathe freely anymore and I can't finish a day without tears rolling down.

My father needs my help financially, so I can't just quit the job. I don't make that much to begin with, but the little I do make, makes my father feel rest assured that I can at least some what take care of myself and help out with a few bills here and there.

I know I am in this position only because of myself, and I can only get out of it by myself, but I don't know why I have this lazyness in me that keeps me from resolving the issue.

I just feel so tired and out of spirits.

Sad

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2009 11:54 AM »

salam

Look at it this way, that elderly lady is lucky to have someone on the phone who actually cares and is sympathetic, rather than a heartless person on a power trip.

You're in the US?

Can you not point these people in the right direction as to where they can get help (maybe not if its your job to chase defaulted mortgage payments).

Here in the UK, the lady could write to the mortgage company explaining her situation, and promise to make a minimum payment that is within her capacity (prolly veeery limited if the lady in question is elderly and retired), whilst she gets legal help to sort out her situation or put her house on the market and a get a good price for it. Altho if her husband committed fraud on it, he's prolly ensured he took all the equity on the property..... welcome my worst nightmare, I hope should I ever end up in such a position I get someone on the phone with a bit of empathy like you (altho I hope I get the court ruling I am after and do not end up with the debt at all)!

Keep looking for another job, and try and use this job to ease the situation for people in mortgage arrears as much as you can.

Lots of Duas

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2009 12:06 AM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

First, I ask Allah to make things easy for you, and to open a way out for you.

Regarding your job collecting mortgages, this is not permissable in Islam.  Allah has cursed Ribaa and those who help or partake in it.  What one should do is leave this type of job as soon as possible.  If you are in need of the job to feed your family, you are permitted to stay in it as long as it takes to find another job.  However, if you are not in desperate need of this job, you should leave it, since you are helping these companies charge interest, and Allah has cursed Ribaa.  

Allah says, "Allah will obliterate Ribaa, and multiply Sadaqa."

Inshallah, if you leave this Haram job, you will find something better.  The Prophet alayhi asalaam said, "Whoever leaves something for the sake of Allah, Allah will replace it with something better."

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2009 06:20 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum

First, I ask Allah to make things easy for you, and to open a way out for you.

Ameen

…but I don't know why I have this lazyness in me that keeps me from resolving the issue.

Set some goals in respect of where you want to work and what you want to do, write them down and start taking some steps towards them.

We tend to become heedless (and lazy) when we lose sight of the goal; hence from a spiritual perspective people tend to neglect their duties because they forget the Hereafter to come.

You will start to feel so much better once you cross off each goal you’ve achieved and you can see that there is actually some light at the end of the tunnel!!

InshaAallah you're in our duas bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Nafs
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2009 07:44 AM »

Salaam Alaikum Everyone =)

It's been a long time..and I have come several times back here to read the advice ...hoping a change would come about...InshaAllah (yes I am the anonymous complainer)...

Anyway, I've come to this point where I'd go literally crying into work ...I tried getting transferred back to my old job (I am pretty sure its haram too as its still with banking and my pay would be derived from usury) ..but that didnt work out (I am guessing for good reasons inshaAllah) ...

I lost a relative yesterday, Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon ... made think about how much time .. I've wasted in such a position ...

In my eyes my family isnt in desperate need ..if we cut back ... then the little money I have saved would last for a few months InshaAllah..and may Allah forgive me for speaking this way but it is greed ..andthat comfort that money is coming in ...

Anyway I made a decision today...printed out my resignation letter and turned it in. I am not sure when my last day is but I left work early due to the emotional state I was in ... but my parents dont know...t hey don't know I quit..and I know its a lie and deceptive not to tell them..but I figured at least I'd try really hard to find a job in the next few weeks InshaAllah and just see what happens from there ..

It's weird because when I came home the first and only question my father asked me was how was work :|

Khair ... I get a bit scared bec of making this decision..I am usu very undecisive ... but I read an ayah today about usury and I don't want to die in this state ...

if you remember ..please make dua for me InshaAllah ...

walaikum ASalaam
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2009 10:26 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

That's great AnonyNafs Smiley, that you came to a resolution and followed through with it.  That is the first step to change.  You remind me of a quote I heard in a seminar with Sh. Muhammad Al-Shareef:

"It's in the moment of decision that your destiny is written."

May Allah bless you and open up the means for you to find a job that is iman-increasing and spiritually nourishing for you, as well as one that benefits others.  There was a shaykh who visited our community this past weekend, and he mentioned in one of his talks that one of the major reasons a usury-based financial system is prohibited in such strong terms in the Quran is because of the social injustice it establishes... that many people suffer because of it.  Stepping away from a job that is involved in that is definitely a positive step, and may Allah replace what you have lost with something better.

salaam,
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2009 04:06 AM »

salam

May Allah give you something better insha'Allah and reward you for your courage to take such a step. 

Make lots of dua, thikr, and istighfaar and say "hasbiya Allah wa ni'ma al-wakeel".  Allah is the one who gives risq ultimately. 

Good luck in your new job search. 

wassalam
UmmZ
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
UmmZ has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2009 06:39 PM »

Salaam alaikum,

Brother, you made a tough decision but the right one.  Remember, the road to jannah is not easy.

This is the main reason why the site WorkHalal was formed.  I hope you get a good job soon, insha'Allah.

wasalaam

UmmZ
Nafs
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2009 02:48 AM »

Walaikum Asalaam sis se7en,

InshaAllah you and your family are well =)

Thank you for your kind words, InshaAllah I do move on to something more beneficial for my soul and for the Ummah InshaAllah.

Walaikum Asalaam Um Aboodi

Ameen ya rabil Alameen (to yours and everyone elses duas)

InshaAllah I shall follow what you said =) may Allah tala forgive us InshaAllah ..

Walaikum Asalaam UmmZ ...

yah Most of the jobs are outside my area, or qualifications Unfortunately ..but InshaAllah ..will deal with each day as it comes by ...

I had a question ..is working for the county bad as well? Someone was saying that it was like indirect usury .. for I am guessing government jobs over all then ??

Also what about hospitals :S
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2009 12:32 AM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

Honorable Sister,

In order to determine if the county job you mention is permissable, you will have to provide more details of the type of job, and what your job duties entail.

Working in a hospital in general is permissable provided it does not involve forbidden things, such as Khalwa, free casual mixing, improper dress, and that proper Islamic Hijab is maintained, and one ensures they lower their gaze and fulfill their Islamic duties such as Salat, etc.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: